Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's first rabbit...need great recipe!

Default Wife's first rabbit...need great recipe!

My wife got her first rabbit tonight! We are both super excited -- she bought herself a Marlin .22 bolt action with a Nikon scope about a month ago. After several trips to the range, she had it sighted in and was shooting pretty darn good. We went out looking for rabbits last weekend and even though we didn't see any, she always has fun getting out and tromping through the woods. Tonight we went for another quick hike and soon found a bunny that cooperated for us. She made a great head shot, and I couldn't have been more proud!

Now....we are trying to find a good recipe! I really want something that she enjoys so that she will want to go rabbit hunting more! Anybody have any good suggestions???

Hope the attachment works. As you can see, my 21 month old is pretty excited, too! (My wife is also 6 months pregnant with my first boy, he's probably excited too.)

IMGP0706.jpg

dang that was a nice headshot!!....im lazy but i like to quarter them up and shake and bake....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Congrats, I would soak it over night in buttermilk. This will greatly improve the taste, rinse, pat dry. Spice to your liking, bring some oil up to 350 and brown on both sides, reduce heat to low and cover tightly, 30 minutes or so. Remove lid bring up the heat to crisp it up, I should have said to cook in something that is NOT non stick I prefer cast iron. Pour off all but about 3 tablespoons, make sure to use the parts stuck to the pan, add enough flour to soak up the oil, cook the flour and then add enough milk to make a nice gravy. Serve over mashed potatoes. You can also return the rabbit to the gravy and let it simmer in.

Wish you luck, the last ones I tried tasted like spruce, it was however later in the winter.
    My uncle raise pen rabbits when I was a kid, that is the way we always ate them. Those pen raised rabbits were awesome.

Squires are great that way too.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

quickly brown the pieces in a hot pan, then place in crock pot with several carrots and a couple potatos and an onion, 1/2 cup of chili sause and a whole beer, I perfer a dark beer. Then cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4hrs. The meat will fall off the bone and taste great.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    quickly brown the pieces in a hot pan, then place in crock pot with several carrots and a couple potatos and an onion, 1/2 cup of chili sause and a whole beer, I perfer a dark beer. Then cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4hrs. The meat will fall off the bone and taste great.
    That sounds great! Thanks for sharing, now I just gotta find a rabbit!

To the OP, wonderful story and picture, I don't make it very complicated, the last one I ate I just sprinkled with hickory salt and panfried in a little oil. I also like to inject them with "cajun butter", its sold at 3 bears with the injector in a kit, also where I got the hickory salt. Once I inject them I let them marinate for an hour and then put them on the barbeque, VERY tasty!

nice job on your wife's first rabbit!
    hopefully its the first of many.

I like em made into sandwiches. Get a good sized pot cut all legs off the rabbit, place all five parts in the pot cover meat completely and then some with water add any spices you like. Boil until meat falls off the bone and pulls apart like pulled pork. Drain off water let meat cool until you can pick it off the bones with your fingers, place all meat in the pot (bones in the trash or??) put some BBQ sauce on the shredded meat mix it up and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Take a big spoonfull slap it on a piece of bread cover with another and eat until your stuffed.

crock pot and a bottle of cheap barbecue sauce
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    dang that was a nice headshot!!
    Yea, that's what I told her. She replied "Well, you told me to aim for the eye". In one and out the other, can't do much better than that!

Thanks for all the recipe ideas! She's ready to go get more just so she can try out all of these recipes!

Wow, technically, I think this is your boy's first kill too.
    Congrats, you must be one proud papa!
    Here's a link with tons of great recipes.

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/othe...rabbit-recipes

Whatever you do, don't make hasenpfeffer. I tried it once, figured I'd try the traditional German rabbit recipe. When I was making it I remember thinking, man, this seems like a lot of vinegar. But, I persevered and made it according to the recipe. Tasted like vinegar.

Lots of time I will put my small game in gumbo. Any recipe will do.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    Whatever you do, don't make hasenpfeffer. I tried it once, figured I'd try the traditional German rabbit recipe. When I was making it I remember thinking, man, this seems like a lot of vinegar. But, I persevered and made it according to the recipe. Tasted like vinegar.
    I agree. My wife and I once tried the hasenpfeffer. Truly disgusting. Makes me cringe when I think of it. Barbecue is good. So is fried. My favorite recipe is a casserole dish that my wife prepares. An old friend of mine gave her the recipe. I wish I new it, I would share it with you. When she gets home from Christmas shopping I'll try to remember to ask her.

Okay here is the recipe. 2-3 boned out rabbits. Put the meat in the bottom of a casserole dish. Sprinkle Tony's Creole seasoning on the meat. Thinly slice 1/2 of an onion and 3 potatoes. 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. 1 can cream of chicken. 1 can of water. Mix the soups with the water and pour on top of the meat, potatoes and onions. Cover and cook at 375 for at least an hour. Delicious!!!

Be sure to soak the meat in salt water for 24 hrs before hand. Removes the gamey flavor. Enjoy. Sorry it's a little late. Maybe you can use it next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Okay here is the recipe. 2-3 boned out rabbits. Put the meat in the bottom of a casserole dish. Sprinkle Tony's Creole seasoning on the meat. Thinly slice 1/2 of an onion and 3 potatoes. 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. 1 can cream of chicken. 1 can of water. Mix the soups with the water and pour on top of the meat, potatoes and onions. Cover and cook at 375 for at least an hour. Delicious!!!

Be sure to soak the meat in salt water for 24 hrs before hand. Removes the gamey flavor. Enjoy. Sorry it's a little late. Maybe you can use it next time.
    Sounds like a good recipe. I ALWAYS soak small game overnight in salt water (I am very generous with the salt) and I also add some vinegar (maybe a tad less than a quarter cup) and completely submerged in water and then in the fridge. I do think it helps a lot with taking out strong gamey taste. Also, like you say, got to cook it well. Rabbits and ptarmigan and even grouse can be pretty tough if not cooked long enough to tenderize. I think I might try this recipe next time I get some rabbits.

Excellent- we can always use more good recipes. TIA

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Haven't had a chance to go out again yet, but we will make time this weekend. Hopefully we can get a couple -- your recipe sounds great, Bushwhack! Can't wait to try a bunch of these!

Congrats!!

Hey everyone thanks for the recipes! I'm trying the casserole one tonight, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast