Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pike??

Default pike??

i was wondering if anybody has any good pike fishing lakes that i can get to? i have a snow machine to so that isn't a big deal?

I've never fished pike myself, but i really want to! Im not sure on the status of Figure 8 Lake out towards Point Mackenzie as of now, but some friends of ours have done really well out there in the past. Maybe try some of the lakes around Willow as well? I've heard that Nancy Lake and the lakes around it have fair numbers of pike in them. A few years ago, a guy I know got one in the upper 40 inch range out of Redshirt Lake, but that was a few years ago, and a lot can change in that amount of time. In general though, I've heard pretty good things about that lake. Sorry I couldnt be more help, but thats just about all I know as of now! I'd love to start fishing for Pike in the near future for sure!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Oddly enough last year was one of my better years pike fishing in a while. Not like it used to be, but better than I've had in recent years. Not so much the numbers but the size is where I noticed improvement. Even from old standby's like Flathorn and Redshirt that had as of late let me down, I pulled several nice Pike out. Don't forget spoons and jigs. One day I sat on my sled jigging and pulled 7 nice fat pike out of one hole right before dark (one after another) while my tip-ups were never touched the entire day baited with fresh herring. Never had that happen before. (but I'm ok if it happens again!)
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I am going to try and catch some pike at Memory Lake. I know there are pike there and I caught a few this past summer casting spinners and crank baits. I have never fished the lake when it was frozen over though. Any suggestions on what depth I should fish at? I plan on using jigs and some herring.

Bone
    let us know how you do on Memory lake been years the last time I was there
    I moved off Fishook in 94

Quote Originally Posted by Wish-Bone View Post
    I am going to try and catch some pike at Memory Lake. I know there are pike there and I caught a few this past summer casting spinners and crank baits. I have never fished the lake when it was frozen over though. Any suggestions on what depth I should fish at? I plan on using jigs and some herring.
    Try and find the weeds.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

We caught 15 pike in 4 hours on saturday. We were fishing @#$% lake the bite was hot. Oddly enough they were turning there beaks up at herring and we slayed them on hooligan..

Thanks for such an accurate description of the lake you were fishing! Now those of us who would like to pike fish have no idea where you had luck akdube. You guys and your honey holes! Share the wealth guys, like they do on the Alaska Outdoor Journal website. Fishing isn't a competition!

I bet I can guess where they went.

I won't bother because he won't tell me anyway
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel E Fishin Sea View Post
    Thanks for such an accurate description of the lake you were fishing! Now those of us who would like to pike fish have no idea where you had luck akdube. You guys and your honey holes! Share the wealth guys, like they do on the Alaska Outdoor Journal website. Fishing isn't a competition!
    I am pretty sure they were fishing on Pike Lake, they probably had their holes drilled just north east of the mouth of Notellum creek, hope this helps

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I am pretty sure they were fishing on Pike Lake, they probably had their holes drilled just north east of the mouth of Notellum creek, hope this helps
    I believe that's just past Nunya point right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I believe that's just past Nunya point right?
    Yep, the secret is out

Actually I found a lake ten minutes by truck from down town wasilla (not memery) we have been doing quite well.. and nottellum creek is fished out

Figure 8 produced 86 fish in 5 hours or so with three tip ups and two rods. Wait till you get a flag or two up while having a fish on two different rods at the same time! Maybe I was catching the same fish over and over not a real big pike eater but the ones from figure 8 are not that bad since they eat so many shrimp they actually have pink flesh. So if they are not hooked to bad they go back down the hole but I was still stuck having to fillet 20-25 hammer handles.

Attachment 43065

You cannot be serious about 86 fish in 5 hours, can you?

so how much ice is on the lakes? and how was the trail to figure 8?

Figure 8 only gets better as the season goes on the amount of water the fish can move in is almost cut in half as the ice gets thicker. I'll try to scrounge up photos from a 60+fish day it was my first trip out there and I ended up bringing them all home having to fillet and skin that many fish was just absurd.

The trail is usually doable on anything that moves two guys were ticketed in 2007 for driving their trucks all the way to the lake, if the ice bridge is built you can drive down the trail to beluga and park at the intersection for figure eight if the bridge is not in then you have to ride all the way from the prison farm parking are its either 20 or 30 miles after riding my sled twice I have found my four wheeler and a meat trailer are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Figure 8 only gets better as the season goes on the amount of water the fish can move in is almost cut in half as the ice gets thicker. I'll try to scrounge up photos from a 60+fish day it was my first trip out there and I ended up bringing them all home having to fillet and skin that many fish was just absurd.

The trail is usually doable on anything that moves two guys were ticketed in 2007 for driving their trucks all the way to the lake, if the ice bridge is built you can drive down the trail to beluga and park at the intersection for figure eight if the bridge is not in then you have to ride all the way from the prison farm parking are its either 20 or 30 miles after riding my sled twice I have found my four wheeler and a meat trailer are the way to go.
    Heading out to Fig 8 today. We'll see how it goes! Hopefully we do half as good as you did!

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Actually I found a lake ten minutes by truck from down town wasilla (not memery) we have been doing quite well.. and nottellum creek is fished out
    knik lake is happenin!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    knik lake is happenin!
    Any recomendations on Knik? I've been wanting to fish that lake for something besides trout. If someone would PM about that lake it would be much appreciated!

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast