Thread: How good are browning pistols

Default How good are browning pistols

I'm looken at getten a .22 pistol found some deals or so they say on some browning buckmark practical urx. Any one have one any likes or dislikes

I have an older Browning Buckmark but not a practical urx. It is not a bad pistol but I like my Ruger MKIs better. There are only a couple of minor things that bother me on the Browning. The bolt is more difficult to get a hold of and pull back than need be and the rear sight mount on mine is plastic. My ruger also shoots a little better. Both have scopes and both are accurate enough for most needs but the Ruger is just a little better all around than the Browning except for the mag release. The Browning is better there.

I have an older Buckmark and have fired (on a weekly basis as my buddies own) a variety of Rugers. The Buckmark is a tiny bit harder to cock, but not much. In terms of accuracy both Ruger and Buckmarks are tackdrivers. The BIG difference is reliability, not just my opinion, based on practical long term shooting. My Buckmark and those of many friends have never (to my knowledge) jammed, they will eat anything, are not phased about being cleaned, they just keep going. Rugers in 22 flavor are a bit more picky in what you feed them.

I like the Buckmark line, and as a Browning service center we see very few of them in for work. Most of the ones we do see are IME malfunctioning from either improper reassembly or issues involving after market scope bases and there mounting. I shot one a good bit as a kid since my Dad had one, my uncle also owns one and they are both very accurate and dependable. They also have the benefit of being somewhat less expensive than their Ruger counterparts.
    My veiws may be slightly biased as I've never been able to shoot a Ruger MK I, II, or III very well, not sure if it's the curved trigger, grip angle or what but they just ain't for me. That doesn't change the fact that the Browning is a good, accurate, and generally reliable pistol.
    Think I'm going to order a Micro URX to toss in my pack for potting small game, been eying one of those 3.5inchers for some time now.