Thread: another fish ID Question!

Default another fish ID Question!

this little guy was jigged in about 40 feet of water in a sheltered bay on queen charlottoe islands!.....is this a sculpin of sorts....cabezon maybe?....thansk larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

sculpin/ irish lord

Brown Irish Lord-pic below is the Red variety from QCI as well.

Default We Have Them Here In SE Too

We get into those little guys once in awhile here in northern SE, too. When I was growing up we used to call them "Coral fish" because they seem to like to hang out in rock piles covered with [Red Tree] coral. I have found color pictures in fish identification books that seem to point to them possibly being "Red Irish Lord" (Hemilepidotus hemilepidotus).

We catch them by accident if we stray across rock outcroppings while drifting and jigging for halibut. According to what I have caught and what biologists have told me the males are generally colored more vividly than the females of the same sub-species. It is a very pretty little fish.

i have caught several of those in the Juneau area. Never new what they were, i figured they were a rock fish.
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.