Thread: some good locations

Default some good locations

where are some good locations for my first bear baiting vinture?

16A or B, 14A or B

Quote Originally Posted by king View Post
    where are some good locations for my first bear baiting vinture?
    Are you looking for units or a specific type of terrain/habitat?
    Chuck

Go to the next baiting class held by ADF&G and talk with the hunters in your area. I do not like to travel tooo far because I like to check the bait daily, keep it fresh & full. This regular checking allows for timing & knowing when they are feeding

where at in 14 a and b

King, I see your new here so I'll try to help.

Deciding where to hunt is part of the fun - and part of the learning experience. Hunting locations are usually like a guy's ex's.. just because I no longer date her doesn't mean I'll offer you her phone number or suggest you take her out. I think this is in part why you've only received GMU numbers as recommended starting points.

In other words, I think most are suggesting (without saying anything) pay your dues and start doing some research. For example, look at this site's hunting books and videos for sale - they have many books and videos that will teach you about bears and their habitat (this one even gives you hunting locations and GPS coordinates to try out for yourself). Start looking at topo maps, talk to fish and game about high concentrated area's you could hunt (14 & 16 are good GMU's), go snowmachine and hike looking for spots bears like, look around for old bait sites, talk to guys at the range, attend the next bait class, and use the search function for more information. These are but a small part of the tools available to get you started. We've all been there.

That said, let me offer you one more tip since you live in Wasilla and seem not sure where to start; go check out Maud Road. The area has a significant number of bears (and hunters depending on the time of the year, specifically the fall), is close and is rather easy to get out and hike (even if on snowshoes). If you don't know where it is, or if you have never been out there, send me a PM and I'll help you out as much as I can.

Hope this helps and came across the right way - good luck!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

alaskanoutdoorsman this all came across fine i see where you are all coming from thank you for the suggestions and all the help i will maybe see you guys at a gun show or something

No problem. Your private messages are offline, when I have more time I'll send you an email.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.