Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Alaska Big Five

Question The Alaska Big Five

I have a two part question here...Has anyone killed the Alaskan Big Five within one hunting season? To me that would be quite an accomplishment itself. My second question would be, Is the Dall Sheep really the crown jewel of Alaska? it seems to be, there is a big hype about these animals and you can see it in the forums. In terms of difficulty of a hunt I would think Mountain Goats would take the cake on that, just wanted to get your take on this. I really enjoy the discussions here along with great controversy, it passes time for me here in Iraq, until I get back late Spring! Thanks Michael Strahan,Alaska Gray, BRWNBR, PY archer, Mod elan, and all the others that get involved in these discussions...Kahahawai

probably depends what the big five are?
    for me goats are wayyyy easier than sheep, sheep are tough but brown bear on kodiak can be tougher...way tougher. my sheep area dont' have any brush wereas kodiak is like a hairy back off some freakin' neanderthol.

I guess hardest part of sheep for me, is just finding a legal one, the walking and stuff i don't mind. but not finding what i'm looking for bugs me.

Goats are great, like 75 percent of them are legal game, its a tough hunt but its short and serious..not long and drawn out like sheep sometimes are.

Well brownies in the island, theres a reason most of those are 15 day hunts and its not just to enjoy the view. it takes a client that long to realize what they've done...and are doing.

So i'd gues in order from hardest to easiest(typically) mine would be Kodiak Brown bear, dall sheep,moose, mountain goat, black bear, caribou, deer.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Big Five being what Moose Caribou Grizzly Sheep and Goat?

I've caught all 5 salmon in a day
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Uh, that would be BIG GAME buddy, last I checked this is the Hunting Forum, not fishing...read the book "Hunting Hard In Alaska" (Marc Taylor)...K

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    My second question would be, Is the Dall Sheep really the crown jewel of Alaska?
    MY two cents is this. I think it would depend on what you would consider the crown jewel of Alaska. My crown jewel animal to hunt up here in Alaska would be the Musk ox.

Bison up here could be consider that to. Due to .001 (I think that's right) of getting a permit.

Dall Sheep are part of the grand slam of sheep so this also puts them high on allot of people list. Along with they are just beatiful animals.

You take care over there and stay safe.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Ak Big 5

I personally think of the big 5 as: BB, Sheep, Goat, Moose & Caribou and rate them in that order.

In the year of 1986 collected a Pennisula BB in my Avatar. Flew into the Talkeetna Mts in early Sept and collected a Boone and Crockett Caribou, a Dahl (150" score) and a good eating Moose all out of the same camp. The only problem was multiple days packing meat and paying Jay Hudson to fly multiple trips for the meat. All in all I remember stalking, Packing and looking down into the Tundra and seeing all the different colors the tundra has and changing daily. 1986 was my best hunting year ever. I collected a nice Billy in Dec of 1984. I feel very fortunate and lucky to have collected what I consider AK's Big Five.

Wink

AK,what a year indeed!!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Pics

Small pics put and idea of the fall 1986 hunt!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default ak 1986 hunt

Moose Pic! All four animals were shot with my 338WM. I was not anticipating a Sheep on the hunt. Caribou was the main objective as I had drawn a tag for the Nelchina herd! I used up most of luck that year!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is the BiG Five?

Brown bear , Musk ox , Bison, Moose, Caribou??? These are the five biggest in no order.

How bout polar bear

I don' t think you can consider polar bear due to we can not hunt them
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

go take that big 5 with a longbow that would be impressive to me. That sounds like a good year to me aktoklat. Good luck to have another one like that!

aktoklat, that was impressive! a good year indeed! another year like that one, you might as well install a walk-in freezer, that's meat for a loooong time. Good pics too..................K

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I don' t think you can consider polar bear due to we can not hunt them

Thats what the is for lol

My big 5 would be deer, bison, sheep, blueberry fed black bear, and elk in that order because I hunt to eat, not for the rugs/ decorations. mmmmmm sitka blacktail [/homer drool] it would be pretty hard to get bison elk and sheep in the same season, thats a lot of drawing luck.

ak_powder_monkey, I was just checking to see if you where paying attention.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    it would be pretty hard to get bison elk and sheep in the same season, thats a lot of drawing luck.
    I got bison and sheep (and caribou) in the same season 4 years ago. Not all three (or 5, or however many we're talking about), but not a bad season at all. Only one more year until I can start applying for bison again.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    I got bison and sheep (and caribou) in the same season 4 years ago. Not all three (or 5, or however many we're talking about), but not a bad season at all. Only one more year until I can start applying for bison again.

-Brian

Ok you got something on someone at the permit place. Give it up BM or I'm calling the FEDS!!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary - Yeah, I had my day in the sun, but it's been mostly nothing since then. I'm paying my dues on the back side for that bison permit.

-Brian

Talking

who do we send our dues to? and how do they like it?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast