Thread: Kenai Peninsula in Sept.

Default Kenai Peninsula in Sept.

I"ve been reading this site for a while I think it's a great site with a good bunch of members. I was on the Kenai mid August did good trout numbers but small fish in Cooper Landing. Did ok with pinks and only a few silvers on the middle/lower section of the river.
    I thought I would make another trip this time in mid Sept to fish Soldotna area. Do you think this may be the right time/place for larger trout and hopefully better fishing for silvers? Is it worth trying for steelhead at this time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Frank

If you want to catch bigger trout and a bunch of silvers fish from the outflow of Skilak to Bing's landing in September.
    I spend every September chasing trout, dollys and silvers on the middle and upper Kenai.

Here's a slide show of this years trip.

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...2134bd6c1d0fa4

+1 to Drifter. Sept is an awesome time to hit the Kenai. Reds are dropping eggs and silvers are making their migration to the redds. Caught many a nice trout in Sept. Dollys are also in good numbers and big ones. PM me if you have any other questions. Other members are more than willing to hook you up with some pointers, others will tell you to figure it out for yourself. The ones that give you some hints are the ones you want to fish next to. Not only will they give you some hints, they might offer you a beer or....12....have fun, tight lines
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I am ALWAYS on the Kenai in SEPT! Best fishing for huge rainbows on the planet!

Sept is a good time to fish the Kenai, but if your focus is on big rainbows, I would go in Oct from Skilak to bings, just my 2 cents. Plenty of silvers and trout around still, and you don't have to worry about pinks getting in the way.

Thankyou guys for your info. Although I'd bet Oct is the better bet for true trophys I'll be traveling with the wife and it may be too cold for her to enjoy herself in Oct.
    Drifter thanks for sharing your video, you got some talent there. I notice in some of the pics the water seems low and is gin clear in certian shots. Is that the Kenia? I'm really impressed with the size of the rainbows and the color of the dollies. I'm guessing your trip was later in the month as the Sept full moon was late this year. Based on the way most folks are dressed it didn't look too cold either. I'm hoping to go around 9/10 do you think thats too early? I see we share a common passion, I pinn most of my steelhead and trout here on the great lakes tribs. I must say you guys have some really nice stuff.
    Raptor thankyou for your kind offer I may take you up on it and pm you for addl info as the time grows closer.
    Thanks Again everyone
    Frank

There's fish in the Kenai in Sept and Oct???????????? Drifter is spot on with his info
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by east coast travler View Post
    Thankyou guys for your info. Although I'd bet Oct is the better bet for true trophys I'll be traveling with the wife and it may be too cold for her to enjoy herself in Oct.
    Drifter thanks for sharing your video, you got some talent there. I notice in some of the pics the water seems low and is gin clear in certian shots. Is that the Kenia? I'm really impressed with the size of the rainbows and the color of the dollies. I'm guessing your trip was later in the month as the Sept full moon was late this year. Based on the way most folks are dressed it didn't look too cold either. I'm hoping to go around 9/10 do you think thats too early? I see we share a common passion, I pinn most of my steelhead and trout here on the great lakes tribs. I must say you guys have some really nice stuff.
    Raptor thankyou for your kind offer I may take you up on it and pm you for addl info as the time grows closer.
    Thanks Again everyone
    Frank
    No problem man. My PM box is always open. Let me know when it gets closer and, if I can get away from work, maybe we can meet up and I can show you the trick to fishing beads.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by east coast travler View Post
    Thanks Again everyone
    Frank
    No problem
    All those shots are of the Kenai during September and the first week of October of this year.
    The river was very low and clear this year due to all the abnormal sun and lack of rain during the first part of September.
    Your timing will be fine, I come just after labour day and stay until the end of the first week of October/ That way I'm sure to hit the "HOT" bite during my stay. Usually the bite peaks during the second or third week of September but that can change due to weather and the strength and timing of the late sockeye run and the pink run.
    You will be there at the right time to come and partake in the annual crazyness that is Fishapalooza!!! Drop by the Russian River Camp Ground (Rainbow Loop sites 55-65) while you're here and meet up with us crazy Kenai fishers for a brew and good company.
    But what ever you do stay away from the Carolina Tea!!!!!

drifter,
    you seem like you would make a good alaskan. you thought about living here full time?

Quote Originally Posted by matt26 View Post
    drifter,
    you seem like you would make a good alaskan. you thought about living here full time?
    I've have thought about it.
    But my job here pays way better and has better benefits than the same job in AK.
    Although there is a position available now in Soldotna, but I would be lucky if it pays 1/2 of what I'm making now.

Yeah, maybe true. But you also need to factor in corn dogs cost twice as much in Yellerknife
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post

But what ever you do stay away from the Carolina Tea!!!!!

I told you goobers to SIP it

Where I live, it is implied anytime something is passed around in a gallon jug.

Chuck,

Nice fish man

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Yeah, maybe true. But you also need to factor in corn dogs cost twice as much in Yellerknife
    No wonder you haven't lost any weight!!!
    I can honestly sat I have never had a corn dog.