Thread: Speer Uni-Cor 44 300 grain

Default Speer Uni-Cor 44 300 grain

Has anyone reloaded with this bullet? I picked some up on sale and had a hard time finding reloading info on it, but eventually got a PDF file email to me from Speer. Speer 44 Rem Mag handgun.pdf

Has been consistently accurate in many .44's with AA#9. Havent shot any critters with it though.

I can't vouch for the 300 gr, but found 270gr Speer shot very well out of S&W 629, 6" barrel. 20gr of H110 and CCI mag primer was best load keeping all 6 shots under 2 inches. I know that info is not helping you much, but I would think H110 or Win 296 (basically identical powders) would work well with your bullet.

Wonder how these would perform if you shot them backwards i.e. base first? Don't laugh - it would be the ultimate meplate (spelling?) and should hold together very well with a hard tough core bonded to the jacket.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I too really like the 270 grain Speer bullet. Mostly I shoot it in my Marlin 1894 with a healthy load of Lilgun. Getting around 17-1800 fps. Very accurate. Jim

Thanks for advise. I am heading up to Anchorage tomorrow and will see what Powder sportsman's has available.

From a Marlin 1894 carbine with microgroove rifling and aperture sights; an initial .44 Magnum test handloads using 2400 powder seemed to easily group four shots into 2.5 inches at 60 yards. I think it worth more testing. Velocity may have been on the low side for full stabilization of this heavy bullet? Neat thing was that with the sunset behind the shooter, the reflection off the bullet easily allowed me to follow the bullet from the muzzle to the target when viewed with binoculars from behind the shooter. Almost like a laser. These groups were shot using the truck hood as a rest, so they could improve with better technique and lighting too. Regardless, it is still a minute of moose group.