Thread: Apple Ipad with WingX Pro 7 in Alaska

Default Apple Ipad with WingX Pro 7 in Alaska

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using an Appple Ipad loaded with WingX Pro 7 in Alaska. I currently have a Garmin 196 so it would be used as a back up. I am looking to upgrade but with a Garmin 496 going for $1200 and a used 296 going for $750 on ebay would this be a good option? From what I understand the 3G Ipad 16G has an internal GPS built into it so I would not need cell phone coverage and would not even have to sign with AT&T to use it. I see that they have them at Best Buy online for $629. The download is $99.00 and then $99 per year for the subscription after that but not sure if the renewal is even needed. The website http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/ makes it look prety cool.

AKSledder,
    I've been using the IPAD since August. AMAZING tool! I think it would be of a lot more benefit to lower-48's who fly to a variety of airports, but even for us Alaskans who fly to the same few airports and have all the frequencies and runway numbers memorized, it's still very much worth it. I tried a few different "Apps" before settling on ForeFlight, which I believe has the most user friendly and logical setup to flight. Beacon and WingXPro aren't quite as smooth or user friendly..

I don't have an aviation GPS - I use a $100 basic hiking model from REI, VORS, and the map.. but since using the IPAD I have found it useful in the following;
    +VFR and IFR maps with your current postion overlayed via gps.
    +Updated weather and notams specific for any airport in the database (not sure their specific database source; AOPA?)
    +Weather forecasts, various maps including radar and sat views
    +All airport and runway info
    +Scratchpad for taking ATC/ATIS notes
    +Flight planning while enroute or on the ground
    ....and more!

One thing to note is that the GPS DOES NOT WORK without an initial startup with cell coverage, unless you purchase a seperate GPS receiver. I just got mine last week and it works great. No cell signal needed if you have this thing; http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/

If you have an aviation GPS and you don't want to get the data plan, I'm not sure your benefit would exceed that of your Garmin 196 other than the pretty screen and gps vfr/ifr overlays.. if you want to meet up and check it out before committing and you're in Anchorage let me know.

Thank you very much for the informative reply. I will do some surfing to learn more about Foreflight. I always hate buying something that I can only do one thing with and it seems like I can do a lot different things with the Ipad. I missed typed, I have a garmin 195 and would like to have terrain following which my gps does not have. Thanks again

Aviation Consumer just came out with an in depth flight review of the iPad (Dec 2010 issue) if you want to check it out. They said it is the best plate reader bar none. Their only real gripe with it is that XM weather is not available, and the 3G connection (in flight) is iffy. I am thinking about getting one myself. The Wifi+3G model does have a built-in GPS chip, the basic model does not, so you need the device that aksledder posted.

Quote Originally Posted by aksledder View Post
    Thank you very much for the informative reply. ipad 2 cases I will do some surfing to learn more about Foreflight.ipad 2 leather I always hate buying something that I can only do one thing with and it seems like I can do a lot different things with the Ipad. iPad2 cases I missed typed, I have a garmin 195 and would like to have terrain following which my gps does not have. Thanks again
    I currently have a Garmin 196 so it would be used as a back up. I am looking to upgrade but with a Garmin 496 going for $1200 and a used 296 going for $750 on ebay would this be a good option?

I been looking at the Ipad for this purpose as well, while its neat and it dose work and the FAA has approved it as an Electronic Flight Bag for such use. Foreflight looks like it will do the job need. As a long time pilot, I still think going with a Garmin 396 or 496 with XM weather is the way to go. But I do like the idea of a bag full of jepps being reduced to a 1.5 lb pad. All of this stuff is fairly new, give it a couple more years and the Ipad will do pretty much every think that a pilot would want to do. My old 196 has given me good service over the years, but its dated, the new units are faster, and have longer batter life. I spent a good bit of time flying an airplane with a 396 wired to the panel and I had XM Weather, and I can tell you from a guy that been flying now professionally for 36 years now, its a heck of a little box. When I started flying you could not buy that sort of thing for no amount of money. Now any pilot can get one if he or she really wants one.

too bad xm doesn't work in Alaska....maybe one day