Thread: Gps and Range finder advice

Default Gps and Range finder advice

Looking at replacing my Garmin Legend with a 550t. Also need to replace my bushnell range finder. Any suggestions or comments?

Double posting might get you in trouble...

That said, I love my Nikon range finder experience. Never fails, easy to use, Alaska tough!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I own a 550t. The screen brightness is inadequate for bright sunlight viewing.

I really like my Garmin 60Csx and use it for both marine and topo mapping. Have had it quite a few years now and there has never been a problem with it.

M

Thanks for your reply. Do you use your GPS very much and if you was to buy a replacement for your 550t what would you choose?

Jim

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you really like your 60csx. Do you think you would go with the newer touch screen models if you were in the market today? A feature I really like in the 550t is the camera/touch screen/and larger screen. I have got a lot of conflicting report with some saying the screen is hard to read in bright light and some say they have not had that problem.

i have played around with a few different range finders as of lately, if you are bow hunting the leupold TBR is amazing if you want to take the math out of the equation...haha...i also had checked out they're vendetta that attaches straight to you compound so its one less thing to worry about dropping..if your looking for compact and easy to use i would check out the redfield line of range finders. they are reasonably priced and really easy to use just dont expect an illuminated reticle. it also has a scan feature to show you distances of multiple targets without having to constantly press the button...hope this info helps

I have a leica crf 1200 very nice. Leica are to of the line when you need to know how far to make the shot

I bought a Garmin 62s to replace my vista and I love it. Never tried the touch screen ones, but not interested in a touchscreen for the kind of hunting I do. I like buttons on my GPS
    I bought a leica1200 after using Bushnell and Nikon ones. It will range 1200 yds in a second where many other brands will only range half of what ever model number they are. It has a red readout which is way easier to see than black in most conditions. A model with angle compensation would be nice at times.

I bought the Garmin Rino 530.

Thumbs up for the Garmin Rino, been using one for 5-6 years with mapscource. I think the newer ones have a bigger screen, which would be a plus. Also has a two-radio, One cool thing about the radios, they will tell you the location of others when they key the mike.
    It has been easy to use, but like any electonic device, some learning curve.
    The Rino I have Uses Dbl A batteries, the lithium batteries are spendy, but IMO, the way to go. My flashlight & camera take the same battery and that simplifies things some.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

After years of using my Opti-logic rangefinder (which pioneered angle compensation by a few years) I now have one of the new Opti-logic models. They are angle compensating, waterproof, rubber coated, have an internal red readout and are the smallest and lightest in the industry. I have the model II and have ranged to 750 yards with it. They are set up for archery to 100 yards and beyond that distance they automatically revert to rifle ballistics. The price of mine is around $300. They have a model I which is set up pretty much for archery and it is less money and won't range as far.

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    After years of using my Opti-logic rangefinder (which pioneered angle compensation by a few years) I now have one of the new Opti-logic models. They are angle compensating, waterproof, rubber coated, have an internal red readout and are the smallest and lightest in the industry. I have the model II and have ranged to 750 yards with it. They are set up for archery to 100 yards and beyond that distance they automatically revert to rifle ballistics. The price of mine is around $300. They have a model I which is set up pretty much for archery and it is less money and won't range as far.

do you have the micro1 or 2 model?? i have been looking at those for awhile but i can never seem to find a history on them? and $300 is not a bad price for nice rangefinder at all...no need for a $350-$400 rangefinder..besides, it is rare to make a 100 yrd shot with a bow...even for hunting with a rifle, another $300+ item to carry and worry about is just too much IMO...

Another guy with the garmin 530, lost one, and just bought another. I really like them, and haven't found one with all the features i like. Been using them for at least 8 years. They work in the plane boat and snowmachine. Rangefinders. i got the bushnell, it's ok, its heavy bulky, and only ranges to about 500-600. i would like to replace it someday, but it's hard to justify the $$$ when this one is still working ok.

tommy-v38 I have the micro II

2nd on the Leica 1200
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    I really like my Garmin 60Csx and use it for both marine and topo mapping. Have had it quite a few years now and there has never been a problem with it.

M
    I agree with vote for the Garmin 60Csx. Mine has worked quite well for the past 2 years...no glitches.

a few yeas back a buddy had a gps and we were standing on a hill side and spoted a legal bull on the oposite hill and he looked through a little peep site on the gps and we followed that through the brush right to the bull is there any newer garmins that do this i dont recall the brand of the gps but it is a feature i would want if i buy one.

I currently use a bushnell scout 1000 ARC, nice rangefinder, never had an issue with it. But I am trying a new one, getting a Redfield Raider 550, redfield is made by Leupold and they make some nice, affordable optics. I got there spotting scope and it works great, so figured id try there rangefinder. Something to look into.

I have a Garmin Rino 120.....its nice if you have someone with you that has one. when you key in to talk on the two way radio it will tell the other guy your location. dont use it when your trying to get one down but when your recovering one.