Thread: Go Big or Go no where...Alaska Bound!

Talking Go Big or Go no where...Alaska Bound!

Hello everyone! I am currently a senior at the University of Northern Colorado studying criminal justice. Im graduating in May and have huge dreams of moving to Alaska. I have been up there once before a couple years ago and will be going back for a couple weeks come this may and would appreciate ANY tips at all with making the move to AK for good. I have started doing all of my homework however you can never have enough information as this will be a huge adventure for me as it has been for anyone else who has made the move. Im considering to mean in or around the anchorage area so any advice/suggestions would be awesome! Thanks so much!!

Lots of Lawlessness goes on up here. You will have no problem finding work. Anchorage area will suit your career. Best bet is to hook up with the Public Defenders Office, that way you get a lot of Repeat Customers.
    Good Luck on the move up.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Awesome, Thank you!

Hey Colorado, Welcome... You're in the right place for sure, lots of good folks willing to help.
    Dive in and ask away

By the way, I spent about 14 yrs growing up in Northglenn, was the outstretches of suburban Dnever at the time '64-'78
    I remember riding my bike, when just a kid "All The Way To Greeley..."
    first big bike tour, 50mi or so?
    cause it was Flat as a Pancake all the way

You're gonna like AK I'll bet

My First TIP : Get Here, As Soon As Possible
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You might Talk/Submit your Resume to the State of Alaska Dept of Corrections, ASAP. They are going to be putting on a whole new staff, Turnkeys, Guards, Counselors, Internal Security and any other legal related job, on the NEW Prison, located just outside Wasilla, AK. I suggest you check them out. It is basically a whole new town being sprung up in the outlying area, on Pt. Mackensie
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Hey thank you!! That is awesome, northglenn has grown alot, I am from conifer (the mtns) originally and Greeley is just about as the most opposite from conifer as you can get, so im ready to get out ASAP!!

Great thank you, sounds like there will be a lot of opportunities!

I went to high school in Loveland. Too many people for me. Best wishes on your venture. Yell when you get here, we can have a talk to get you started.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Where do you plan to live/work?
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Wow small world!! And thanks will do!

Like to live in Anchorage, however it depends on the job situation. Like to work with juveniles most likely in corrections, it not with the courts. Nothing can happen until the job is in place so ill take whatever I can get to get me up there!

Mountain View would be the PERFECT place for you...

There is no secret to going to AK. You just drive north and west, eventually you will get there. I would make the move in May and take the first job I could get. There are tons of seasonal jobs that will tide you over while you drop resume's and work to get your career on track. Heck my old man spent the first 2 months pulling parts at a salvage yard before landing a "real job" when we moved back up in the mid 80's.

Oh really? How so?

Yep that sounds like the route im going to take, get any job for now then work on landing a more permanent job in the mean time. I have already applied to a lot of lodges up there just for a summer position so cross your fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Mountain View would be the PERFECT place for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamchi11 View Post
    Oh really? How so?
    Mountain view has quite a few youths that need some kind of guidance.

Check out McLaughlin youth center. It is our local training facility for developing hardened adult criminals.

Awesome, I'll certainly take a look at it!

Well...shucks...looks like nothing we say here is going to scare you off.
    Work on your resume, get it in the right hands and likely they will help you with the move. Also when you get here, make the first stop at the local Post Office. There you can pick up a packet for those relocating. It is filled with discount coupons to local business' and what you will need to set up your new address.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Ya nothings gunna stop me, im determined and there is no better time for me to do it then after graduating from college! I love figuring out all of my options and what not however its terrible because I have so much motivation to learn, and do reasearch on Alaska whereas I should be studying for my finals right now! Whoops lol