Thread: best sets?

Default best sets?

im new to trapping. I was wondering what do you guys think the best sets are for coyotes and fox with legholds?

With your name I figured you been hitting it here near thirty years. For me pee post were a easy thing to start with then hole sets.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

haha no this is my first real year of trapping i had to come up with a name but thanks for thw advice

I catch most of my fox in blind trail sets. These are sets that I set off the back of the snow machine out of my otter sled. Select a drag (6" dia by 5' long) and position your trap chain or cable (I cut off all the chains from my traps and replace with a 6' snare) in the BALANCED center of the drag. What I mean by balanced is take your drag in one hand and find the balanced center point and then attatch your trap chain (or cable). You do this so when the animal is caught, the resistance from the drag is even and causes much more work for it to run. If you just simply put your trap chain (or cable) in the exact middle of a drag you will find that one side of the drag usually is heaver then the other side so when the animal starts to run, the drag will position itself parellel(spl) with the animal and allow it to run and run with little resistance. Usually animals run to the closest cover and get tangled quickly but if they decide to bolt down your trail, they could cover some distance if your drag isn't set right. To make the set I lean off the back of the otter sled and carve out a spot right in the middle of the trail just big enough for your trap and also a groove for your chain (or cable) to lay in. Next I toss out and down my drag into the snow with force as far out from the trail as possible but leaving enough chain (or cable) to place your trap in your trap bed you carved. Usually with in a few cold snaps your drag will set up and freeze in pretty good to help give more resistance. Place your trap in the trap bed you carved, cover with crumpled wax paper, then sift snow to cover things up. You can then use your fingers or a stick to replace the snowmachine tracks over your set before you drive off. This set is nothing new and can be found in the Alakan Wolf Manual but can be deadly on fox, coyotes and lynx. Takes very little time once you are organized and you don't have to handle stinky baits and lures. You can also make pee sets along your trail using this method in fact another good one is to drive right next to a muskrat push up and set. Push ups are like magnets for animals. Hope this helped and good luck!