Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jigging reels

Default Jigging reels

Looking for a compact reel that small people (women and kids) can comfortably us for rockfish and cod. I think it needs to weigh 17 ounces or less. Something in the Penn or Okuma line. Suggestions please?

You might want to look at the avet reels , they are very easy to use

I love Avets and I have looked at the MXJ but for $170 each (discounted) they are a bit costly in the hands of kids...

I'll second (or third?) an Avet. Every time I buy one for myself I lose it to wife, daughter, granddaughter or visiting women and kids. Heck, now even my son-in-law claims an Avet every time he's on the boat. Before long, that's all I'll have, just so I can get to use one when I want.

One other advantage. With the very high retrieve speed, it's easier for the inexperienced to keep a tight line when fighting jig-hooked fish. That adds up to fewer lost fish in my experience.

I love the Avet so much that after a client dropped my personal MX overboard this summer (with a salmon attached) I went right out and bought a MXJ with the new magnetic brake on it. That one that was lost though, lots of memories (I bought IT after I won the Ship Creek king derby in 2004 with some of the $5000 in prize money) and it was my go to reel from then on. I modified that reel with rare earth magnets to create my own braking system that worked so well I wish I could claim credit, but it was an Internet search that gave me the info to do it.

I just can't see handing a highly-machined mini-winch to an 8-year-old fishing for rockfish and cod. It will kill me the next time someone (even an adult) drops a high-priced reel like that overboard.

Any suggestions in the Penn/ Okuma please (anybody have a report on the new Penn Squall reel?). I have great discounts with those brands and can deal with loss on that level....Thanks.

my dad has some kind of daiwa, similar to an avet. its amazing. he has it on a little shimano trevalia jigging rod. caught a 140lb hal on it this summer with no fuss at all. great combo for fishing for things on the bottom.

Penn Jigmaster or Squidder, can't kill'em and lots of them on the auction sites.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I know it's not a Penn/Okuma but how about an Ambassadeur? They seem to go on sale quite often and there's lots of models to choose from; with the braided line, will hold plenty for capacity.
    On another note; you mentioned gear going overboard; why not have a safety line with a snap clip to somehow attach to the outfit; long enough to have some mobility. One end tied/clipped to the gunnel or something, other to the rod.
    Here (Hawaii/Kauai); rarely do you see rods fishing without being tied to the boat somehow. Good lesson: when I was deckhanding, I watched the captain (I'm glad to this day it wasn't me!) lose a stand-up Penn International 50 with high-end rod overboard on a big bottom fish; could've heard a pin drop!

Our Ambassadeur 6501's (left hand version of 6500) are approaching 20 years old, and have caught lots of halibut on 40lb braid.

One great modification - replace the double handle with Abu's single knob power handle kit:

http://www.abu-garcia.com/prod.php?k...0%281091026%29
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

I can see where you're coming from on loss, Cliffhanger. Kids that young are closely supervised on my boat and I've never had them lose gear, but "experienced" adults are another problem! So far the adults have graciously replaced all they lost.

My biggest hesitation with using Avets on a charter boat would be repairs. The shop I frequent recommended sending them back to Avet for repairs, even though they are a big-time source of Penn parts. I haven't needed to have an Avet repaired, but I'm kinda twitchy at the thought of not being able to do it myself.

A huge plus for Penn and some of the others is a level wind. That's big with inexperienced anglers. I won't have Diawa or Ambassadeur any more due to the difficulty of getting parts. Of course, I might feel differently if I could walk up to a counter and get parts for them like I can with Penn.

"Cliffhanger", I don't know this is practical for you, probably not, but when my kids were young (too young to be responsible all the time)rather than downgrade their gear, I used to clip a tether on their reels. If they forgot what they were doing, I didn't lose the whole thing. My then twelve year old daughter caught a 62# king all by herself with a tethered rod and reel. It's still her largest king to date. (She's 30). I know some adults that could have used a tether.

Daiwa SL-X20SHA: Big gears and drag, compact footprint (spool holds ~200 yds of 20lb mono, or an easy 300yd shot of 50lb spectra over a good wad of mono backing), and an excellent handle for young or old. I'd use one before a similar-sized Avet, as you can pull more drag with the daiwa without binding up the works. Smoooooth drag makes carbontex drag washers for it as well.

Cliffhanger , I vote for the penn ( as staded ) they take a beating , very reasonably priced , Ive got a coupel old ones (you cant kill em)
    I love my MXJ for jiggin , that high speed retrive makes a huge difference , Ive got the MXJ ( with cast controll )on my wish list

Penn 9M, that's what my grandkids fish, on 17 dollar solid glass Penn Mariner rods from Harley rod in N.Jersey! The shipping was more than the rod so I bought a couple of them to make it worth wile. Now, when I need something quick, strong and redily available I pick up one of these up myself and the avets don't get abused then. I'm talking when you need to zing a kenai fly over the horizon into a group of reds on the surface or some other low life activity.

Do a visual comparison against those 6500's and you'll chose the lowley Penn every time. At $60. (cabelas) you won't be disapointed. We had both the 9M's and the 6500's in the "safety cabinet" at work so it was easy to look em over. I have to say, I was impressed.
    By the way, we spool them with 80lb braid and with that combination your ready for anything you want to catch with a rod and reel in a package a 4 year old can handle!

By the way, Cliffhanger, That's a fine looking boat your a driving!
    Mike

How about a few Penn 209s they are not very expensive and are pretty durable, they even have a levelwind if I recall correctly. I remember going to a sportsman show and there was a boy scout troop that was selling a table full of those that they had rebuilt. If you could support scouting all the better.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Jim, one of my LONG time favorites is the 310 GT2. They're 18 oz. but they'd be perfect for cod and rockfish. And they are very easy to repair if need be. I've got 320's on all my halibut rods.

I haven't tried one yet, but I like the looks of the Okuma Convector, too. It looks pretty similar to the 310 and is a little lighter. I might try some next year if I'm still in business.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks guys. I will probably go with the Penn 9M. I have the Penn Graph-Lite 2-speed GLD 20-II and at 40 ounces they're impossible for little people to handle. So, the 9M (at 13 ozs.) will do the trick I think...

Okay now, a recommendation on a short (less than 6 feet) stiff rod for jigging?

Gents-
    I'm looking at:

PENN Torque Jigging rod / TJ8013C58 / 58
    or
    Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging/ BWCJL220058 / 5'8"

The Penn ($68) is twice as much as the Ugly Stik ($38). Still very reasonable with my discount. Comments?

It would be worth your time, if you haven't already, to google up Alan Tani's reel rebuilding forum. There is a tremendous wealth of info there. Regarding the aforementioned penns - the 310GTI, 209, 09, etc...be advised that the little brass spindle doodad upon which the gears ride is only tough enough for you to button down with 5lb to 6lb of drag and have it last. That equates to using 30lb or so spectra. In my mind, that's a little light for long term tangling with halibut of any size or big lings, but no biggie for rockfish and/or mooching salmon. The 320 has a beefier spindle and ge****t - almost as sturdy as in a 4/0 senator. The 320 will pull 15+ lbs of drag without breaking, and that gets you to using 50# spectra. This is about where the Daiwa SL-X20SHA gets as well, but the daiwa has a MUCH nicer handle (than any of the mentioned reels), a narrower spool, and a lower profile. Perfect mate for the new generation of jigging rods like the penn torque.

Do you have some sort of pro deal or sponsorship that limits you to using Penn or Okuma?

Yea Vek , Allen Tani stuff is unreal , that guy is awsome , if he cant find it he makes it !! and great photos to , so even knuckle heads like me can figure it out , Ive seen some of his post on other sites , Im left handed so my reel options are limited , I really like the one Daiwa makes ( saltega 30L star drag ) just out of my price range
    cant help ya on that one Cliffhanger , I like Lamiglas rods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast