Thread: Coffman Cove Adventures

Default Coffman Cove Adventures

I wanted to report our Thanksgiving week adventure with hosts Mike (Gooch) and Sarah Warner with Coffman Cove Adventures on Prince of Wales Island.

Let me get this out of the way right up front: we did not shoot a deer the entire week, and neither did the other party at the camp. But let me make sure you all understand this too: we had the best time in a hunting camp that I have ever had. And that was due to our hosts. Nothing was lacking, attention to details was perfect, and the food was to die for. (i.e., I gained weight.)

Gooch and Sarah are the best kind of people. Open and friendly, they are knowledgeable and helpful to the full extent that they are able to be (they cannot give hunting advice). Everything worked and was ready for deer to be processed (they have a walk-in freezer and vacuum packer).

It was just up to the hunters and the bucks to meet up at the same time. A couple of problems worked against us to preclude that highly-anticipated meeting of man and beast. The rut appeared to be over, and the lack of snow had deer spread out all over creation. We saw a ton of does, but no bucks. The same with the other party who appeared to be excellent hunters and did what we did: get out and hunt the muskegs, then the edges of clear cuts and heavy timber, call and still hunting. We worked hard.
    Then we tried the locals approach and hunted the road. No go.

But we had a great time. Beautiful country...
    pow1.jpg

And great hosts (Gooch & Tank).
    Attachment 42645

Well sounds like you had a great hunting trip no matter what. It's all about getting out and having fun and enjoying Alaska.

P.S. I do have to admit, I have serious boat envy.......

Default More photos

Our WOD (Wise Old Dude) hunting partner Will Barber (former UAF Fisheries professor) hunting a logging road.
    P1000699.jpg

The dining cabin, and the Steele Boys (far side) from Toccata, Georgia (great guys)...
    Attachment 42647

Looks like a good time in the woods. The rut did come early this year, and it was tough over thanksgiving for the guys hunting on land. Seemed like all the bucks were tired from chasing does and were hunkered down.

It is really nice, almost refreshing, to read that you had such a great experience and think so highly of your hosts. And great to read more postive comments about Gooch, not only a rafting expert but also a contributing forum member.
    dennis

Don't give Gooch too much credit. Sarah is the brains behind that operation and he knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Don't give Gooch too much credit. Sarah is the brains behind that operation and he knows it.
    I thought that was a given!

;-{)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    And the looks!!!

Glad you all had a great time!