Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a charter halibut fishing business being closed by the feds?

Default Are you a charter halibut fishing business being closed by the feds?

Join SHAFTED. www.shafted.me

Did you know what was coming when you got into it?

Dude you got this thread going in 2 different sections. That shafted web site won't open for me. Hey don't be putting stupid links up that hurt peoples computers. Tell us why you think you're shafted? Are you new to the business? If so what did you expect to happen? Do you think us Alaskans should put up w/ commercial guide every where? Go buy a guide permit, its a free country

Right on guys. Look on the Alaskan section of the bloodydecks fishing forum and you can read about this guy's sorrows, of which some reputable Alaskans responded to his woes.
    I'm not a guide or an Alaskan (I wish!) but even I knew what was up with the halibut scene LONG before this.
    Maybe I'm stepping on toes here, but I don't think a total of 2 posts really entitle someone to gripe right off the bat.

waaah.gifA guy should do his homework before jumping in to a new business

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

There are some instances I disagree with about the new permiting. The one that would bother me is the one where a guy has ran a boat and guided for 20 years and in the last few years decided to get his own business now even after 20 years of being a captain he is out of it but someone who has 5 years in and started out with a business because he had more money to start he gets to keep fishing.
    I have 17 years in guiding out of Deep creek and because I have always worked for the family business and never had my own business I am SOL. I had an idea what was coming and I had no wish to have my own business so I am not complaining but I am not sure I think its right to push the long time vets out just because they didnt buy their own boat.
    I know not all will agree but its my thoughts and my right to have them.
    Another bad thing that this will bring about is big business who do you think will own these permits in ten years.... It wont be the little guys

Some think that there are charter captains out there that are jerks, just wait till the big boys have all the permits and businesses. Customer service and satisfied clients will go out the window.

The way the system is set up you can only have 5 permits unless you had more boats running in 2004/2005 and again in 2008. I was always told the way you make a small fortune with a charter boat is start with a large one. Put the 1 fish limit in 3A and your permit will not be worth much.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    There are some instances I disagree with about the new permiting. The one that would bother me is the one where a guy has ran a boat and guided for 20 years and in the last few years decided to get his own business now even after 20 years of being a captain he is out of it but someone who has 5 years in and started out with a business because he had more money to start he gets to keep fishing.
    I have 17 years in guiding out of Deep creek and because I have always worked for the family business and never had my own business I am SOL. I had an idea what was coming and I had no wish to have my own business so I am not complaining but I am not sure I think its right to push the long time vets out just because they didnt buy their own boat.
    I know not all will agree but its my thoughts and my right to have them.
    Another bad thing that this will bring about is big business who do you think will own these permits in ten years.... It wont be the little guys
    I don't think "big business" will buy one of these permits, big business does their homework before investing, and the bottom line on chartering will scare them off. However if I'm wrong and big business does buy some permits they'll be looking to hire guys like you.

It's a little late in the game to be getting into the charter business anyway.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Ain't that the truth. The way things are going, Alaska will be closed to fishing in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by salmon_bone View Post
    Ain't that the truth. The way things are going, Alaska will be closed to fishing in 10 years.
    No it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post

Actually, it's a pretty good time. The economy weeded out a good number of charter businesses. When the economy starts to pick back up, the customers will return.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    The way the system is set up you can only have 5 permits unless you had more boats running in 2004/2005 and again in 2008. I was always told the way you make a small fortune with a charter boat is start with a large one. Put the 1 fish limit in 3A and your permit will not be worth much.
    The 3A charter captains will be forced to do a lot more combo charters, and will adapt their fishing style to put bigger fish in the boat, to make up for a 1 fish limit. They'll be fine. Permit values in SE are worth "much" with a 1 fish limit.

I wouldn't say I am a charter business being shut down by the Fed. I will need to adapt and get a permit to do business, so I can continue to do business. I refuse to crawl up on the perverbial cross, I'd rather go fishing!

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I have been watching this issue for the last several years and have been expecting something like the permit issue to be imposed. I think it is a shame any time regulation puts honest businessmen out of business. On the other hand, without the resource, there would be no business. I've noticed that in places like the Great Lakes and Washington state a lack of fish has decimated the commercial fishery and charter fishing. The Great Lakes have come back somewhat, but now they're fishing for introduced Pacific salmon instead of native lake trout. We have to entrust the management of our resources to someone. The last two years has seen a lot of charters go out of business and many with reduced revenues. To be successful in any business you have to change with the evolving economic environment. Nobody sends telegrams anymore, but Western Union is still in business. If you are intelligent, have a good business plan, work hard, and can adapt to a changing environment you'll always find success.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverLand View Post
    If you are intelligent, have a good business plan, work hard, and can adapt to a changing environment you'll always find success.
    wait, you didn't say anything about whining about a lack of work!

rep points well deserved. same to capt.k

Looks like it might be a good year to pick up a used boat
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    The 3A charter captains will be forced to do a lot more combo charters, and will adapt their fishing style to put bigger fish in the boat, to make up for a 1 fish limit. They'll be fine. Permit values in SE are worth "much" with a 1 fish limit.
    LOL! Great!!! People like me that take pride in getting their clients sustainable halibut in the "eating class" are getting shoved out of business by the guys that take pride in fishing for the halibut we need most to retain in the breeding population. Now that makes a LOT of sense.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    LOL! Great!!! People like me that take pride in getting their clients sustainable halibut in the "eating class" are getting shoved out of business by the guys that take pride in fishing for the halibut we need most to retain in the breeding population. Now that makes a LOT of sense.
    People like you give away the resource by giving away the captain's limit to clients, in an attempt to make up for not being able to find bigger halibut. Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense, at a time when every halibut counts.

"Eater Class" is just charter captain lingo for "don't want to spend the time or have the expertise to find the big boys"..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast