Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a charter halibut fishing business being closed by the feds?

Default Are you a charter halibut fishing business being closed by the feds?

Join SHAFTED. www.shafted.me

Hope everything works out for you. Pisses me off when Alaskan residents get the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Poiboy View Post
    Join SHAFTED. www.shafted.me
    Hey bud that website is not working. I applaud the feds for limiting guides. Do you think you're the only one thats a day late and a dollar short?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hey bud that website is not working. I applaud the feds for limiting guides. Do you think you're the only one thats a day late and a dollar short?
    In 1995 the first year of commercial IFQ for Halibut, it was 36 million pounds state wide, it was increased over the years to near 65 million pounds, during that same period Charter catch for Halibut only increased a fraction of what the commercial catch did,

So it's the charter guys fault that the biomass has declined???? I don't think so. This is just plain greed on the comm side,

I think there will be a rash of outlaw Halibut charters, people taking" friends" fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    In 1995 the first year of commercial IFQ for Halibut, it was 36 million pounds state wide, it was increased over the years to near 65 million pounds, during that same period Charter catch for Halibut only increased a fraction of what the commercial catch did,

So it's the charter guys fault that the biomass has declined???? I don't think so. This is just plain greed on the comm side,

I think there will be a rash of outlaw Halibut charters, people taking" friends" fishing
    Hey you're preaching to the choir. I literally despise IFQ's. I fished halibut as a crewmember and didn't get squat for quotas. I had my own card in 89 ( the last qualifying year) but the oil spill happened and they closed the sound. In 90 thru the last year it was open I had deliveries on my own card. Did I get any Q's? HElL NAH! am I still pissed? HEIL YEAH! I'm w/ you on disliking the commercial halibut arrangement. I wouldn't buy a single scrap of those bottom feeding mercury filled garbage fish if I had a choice. The aristocrats that have the monopoly on halibut shouldn't be blamed, but the politicians that arranged the IFQ program should be charged for racketeering

I wouldn't buy a single scrap of those bottom feeding mercury filled garbage fish if I had a choice.
    Right there with 'ya.
    But...gotta ask...; Would 'ya catch 'em and sell them for others to eat on, if you were given aristocratic priveleges?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

The aristocrats that have the monopoly on halibut shouldn't be blamed, but the politicians that arranged the IFQ program should be charged for racketeering
    Now they did it with the charter fleet. I just can't wait till all the permit holders all of a sudden start thinking they "own" the sport halibut, and start taking steps to reduce the private anglers catch so they can keep their own.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Now they did it with the charter fleet. I just can't wait till all the permit holders all of a sudden start thinking they "own" the sport halibut, and start taking steps to reduce the private anglers catch so they can keep their own.
    I know right? Busters!

Greed does funny things to people. It's funny how all the guys who were getting permits said they would be worthless, because of the economy, 1 halibut limit, etc.. Then when it gets official, they post em for sale at 75-100k. As I've posted before, this was the best thing to ever happen to the guys who got permits. The worst thing to happen to those who didn't.

I ran approx 200 charters during the qualifying years. Never owned the boat, so I didn't get one. I actually did things the right way, and worked under some good guides to learn the business, before venturing out on my own. Others just jumped right in, bought unsafe boats, were clueless, illegal, offered poor service, and spent their time stealing spots from the real guides. They were rewarded with a permit for not doing things the right way. Gotta love the federal gov. I'm rather glad I didn't get a permit, as I'd rather earn my money, than get it handed to me at the expense of others.

I think IFQ's should be a fish it or loose it type of thing. If you dont fish it then you loose it. Also i think it should be an outright sale not a lease it type of thing. If you are not going to fish it then it has to be sold. I dont think renting it out year after year is what they had in mind when they first came up with IFQ's

I don't think there should be any monetary value allowed to be attached to these permits. If you qualify for one you either fish it or it goes back into a lottery pool for anyone who wants in.

If the 150 boats averaged 6 people a day for 90 days, at $275 a head, its $22 million just in charter fees that are now gone. If they averaged 3 per day for 3 months, its $11 million. Just in the charter fee. Not to mention licenses, derby tickets, food, lodging, and rental car to get from Anchorage to the Peninsula... ain't our gubmint grand?

Site www.shafted.me should be up and working. There were issues in the beginning as it was propagating through the internet.

Maybe it is me, you just seem spammy poiboy

I'll skip the unknown site and the request to join. Thanks anyway
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Maybe it is me, you just seem spammy poiboy

I'll skip the unknown site and the request to join. Thanks anyway
    Well, I do eat a lot of SPAM, but I don't think that makes me spammy, lol. I'm about at the end of my rope with that site. I think it's the .me extension that the net doesn't like. I'll try to find a .com domain name, and re-do. It shows up fine on a lot of 'puters, but I've heard of a lot of problems too. Until I get it fixed, you should be able to view it on a proxy server like www.pagewash.com and enter www.shafted.me in the field, and submit. Once I get my act together again, I will repost with the new domain name. Thanks for the feedback.

No, I mean the way your first post in the Forum is a link to a questionable site (posted twice in 2 seperate sections no less, which is common wioth spammers)

You have made 4 posts and everyone of them has a link to a site I havve never heard about that has a non descriptive name.

I still ain't going to click here.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default domain/site not up yet

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I still ain't going to click here.
    I clicked on it, and the domain does not resolve (meaning you can't go there), as poiboy does say in the post just above that he's tired of it not working too.

Looks like it belongs to him; I didn't get that from the first post.

www.shafted.me comes right up on my Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    www.shafted.me comes right up on my Mac.
    Whether it comes up or not has to do with what DNS server you're hooked up to on your Internet connection. It has nothing to do with mac vs. PC.

As new domain names begin to resolve, their definitions get mirrored around the world (eventually) on each DNS server.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Whether it comes up or not has to do with what DNS server you're hooked up to on your Internet connection. It has nothing to do with mac vs. PC.

As new domain names begin to resolve, their definitions get mirrored around the world (eventually) on each DNS server.
    Can you help me resolve this issue?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast