Thread: Sometimes They Win

Default Sometimes They Win

I checked out a new area today and the predators showed me who was the boss. First stand of the day, I had a nice Red Fox come flying from my left at mach 9 towards the caller & decoy (CS-24 & Homemade feather/fur decoy on wire). He was on a mission, crouched low and sneaky, but moving at jet-speed. He hit my decoy with his snout just as I was moving for the shot and then he really kicked in the afterburners. I took a running shot at him from about 30 yards away and he simply laughed at me as he hit warp speed in the direction he came. If I would've had the shotgun, I'd probably have that guy. If anybody has a good way to practice fast moving target shots up here, please let me know, I want to practice.
    Two stands later, I'm set up overlooking a little clearing with the caller and decoy out in front of me again about 30 yards. Then, again to my left, I catch an ear go flashing by. There was a small dip in the lay of the land and this Red Fox sneaked in on that small dip. He stopped at a point where I couldn't see him and he wouldn't come out any further towards the caller. The breeze was blowing my scent right into his face and I quickly jumped up thinking I might catch him trotting back into the willows. Sure enough, I caught a glimpse of his tail. I probably couldn't taken a shot, but it would've surely split his hide at that angle and I was glad that I didn't give that one a lesson like the first one.
    Made a bunch of blank stands after that, probably 8 more. Then, just before dark, I hiked a ways into a spot and used the mouth-call (Sceery AP-6). I blew off and on for about 15 minutes. Then, just as I'm getting ready to leave, I look up and there's a big coyote standing out about 50 yards staring at me. I squeaked a bit and he moved towards me as I very slowly raised up the rifle. Just as I get him in the scope, he turns and then quickly stops. I took a shot, but completely missed. Sometimes you win...Sometimes they win. I hope everybody else is out there getting animals.

Wow, sounds like a fun day anyway! I think I'm heading out on Monday to give my new spitfire a try. Pretty excited about it for some reason...

How long were you spending on each stand and how far do you travel between stands?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I was spending my usual 15 minutes on stand. I was playing the caller non-stop today, except for the mouthcall . Sometimes I mix it up and play sounds for a few minutes then pause. It depends where I am and what mood I feel like. I'll usually travel at a minimum 1/4 to 1/2 a mile away from my previous spot. That also depends on how I place the speaker. When I hike in and setup, I try to watch exactly which direction the speaker is pointed. I'll travel less distance if the speaker was pointed the opposite direction, since I figure those animals might not have heard the sound from the prior stand. Good luck with that Spitfire, they are racking up a-lot of predators with those things across the US.

I also lost the game the other day. Found a sweet spot on the edge of a pond and set up. Lots of tracks cris crossing the pond. I hit the caller and then decided to fumble around with the remote(I know better). Looked up after only 10 sec. of calling and a big yote staring right at me from 60 yards. I was busted but i tried a quick shot anyway. I would say he got his doctorate in calling! It was still better than a day of work. Hillbilly

Hillbilly,
    You obviously did a good job of sneaking into that stand if he was there that quick. What kind of caller are you using? I'm more inclined when I sit down with the caller to just let it play non-stop, or play one of my custom 15 minute sequences. That way, I never have to touch the remote when something shows up. I do sometimes mess around and change sounds on the caller from the remote, but they're easy to do without looking at the remote. I put dots of JB Weld onto my remote and I can feel what button my finger is on. The FoxPro even automatically changed to the Coyote Pup Distress with that new FoxBang feature. No hands needed for the FoxBang to kick in, it was pretty nice. Either way,no animals were falling for the FoxBang today either.

Hey snow, I'm hesitent to say anything as it seems you have more action than almost anyone one this board, but......
    ......some years back I decided not to take shots unless they were absolutely sure things. The reason for this is as more and more folks get into this and use e-callers with the same sounds, the preds gets educated very quickly. I figure if I pass on a shot I may get him right back in or maybe get him the next trip? Last year, late winter, this one stand comes to mind: I called this stand that was kind of a land peninsula that juts out into a lake. I set the caller out on the point and sat back about 30 yards in the trees where I could see the point, the other side of the lake, and each side of the openings on each side of me. After my traditional 15-20 mins of calling I stood up, froze, looked around for movement, and upon seeing none I ambled out to get the caller. Then out to my right I noticed a coyote standing like a statue about 35-40 yards away just looking at me. He was out on the lake at least 50+ yards from the nearest cover. As I cast my eyes on him he started a gentle trot directly away from me. I had my .250 slung on my shoulder. As I began to pull the rifle down to line up a shot he started really trucking for cover. As I mounted the rifle and attempted to get him in the scope I knew there was no real chance I would be able to drop a moving target when I could barely acquire him in the glass that rapidly. So I just let him go. I set back up about 1/4 mile away in the direction he bolted. While this story does not have a happy ending for me.....never saw him again, I felt really good about practicing self restraint in pulling the trigger. Years ago I would have squeezed off one or even two and surely made him wise for life. Bottom line is if you aren't in close and pointing a scatter gun there is no sense in pulling the trigger and making the preds smarter for the next guy. To me these days I get a big kick out of just calling critters in. As a matter of fact I call in quite a few dogs (for practice) right Anchortown. Calling in 2 foxes is a good day.....whether you dropped any or not. 10+ stands? Really good day snow! Good post.

Snowcamoman, Im using a Spitfire and luckybird was the sound. He was bedded up 200 yards from where I spotted him. After I missed him and I was done calling. I went out to his tracks and followed them off the ice from the direction he came from. Thanks for the jb weld idea. I usually dont mess with the sounds but for some dumb reason I did on that stand. Usually I just play one sound and keep my finger on the volume. Also I made a lanyard so I dont have to worry about putting the remote in my pocket anymore. Hillbilly

Oats,
    I know what you're saying about saving the shot and not educating the animals. It's a very good point and I don't take any offense to your comments about saving the shot for a sure thing. I'm taking a friend and his son out calling here shortly, I'll be trying to tell them the what to do and what not to do's of predator calling on our drive to the stands.

Hillbilly,
    If you're around Fairbanks and want to check out my FoxPro setup and remote, just let me know, I'd be happy to show it to you and the JB weld job.

Snow, I may need to see your set up before I do mine. Im heading out of town for a month but ill be back after the holiday's. Hopefully I get to hit the calling hard when I get back. Hillbilly

Hillbilly,
    Just give me a call or PM me and we'll get in touch. I'll show you my calling setup.