Thread: moose poached on taylor highway

Default moose poached on taylor highway

ok so it has been established that a moose was poached about a half mile from top of the world turn off, most likely wed. night, but possibly tues. night. if anyone else saw anything that might help please send either northway or myself a pm, or you can call f&g directly. if it was wed. night they must have headed to eagle, as they never went past me and there is only one way out. there were so few people there over those days, it should be possible to catch the poacher and see they are brought to justice.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

was potlatch taken out of the equasion... ???????

those folks been dieing all winter long so far.. careful to not immediately jump to the poaching conclusion.. Alaska still has many things folks may not immediate recognize..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I just heard about this potlach thing here recently. Great way to kill a moose when you feel the need huh?

not unless hiding the remains and trying to bury all evidence in snow is part of the ceremony
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

I did some checking before I posted this, and talked to the troopers, I won't say its impossible that there is another reason, but all evidence so far points to poaching

If they (AST-FWT) collect tissue samples from the carcass they can DNA match the carcass to meat in someone's freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    ok so it has been established that a moose was poached about a half mile from top of the world turn off, most likely wed. night, but possibly tues. night. if anyone else saw anything that might help please send either northway or myself a pm, or you can call f&g directly. if it was wed. night they must have headed to eagle, as they never went past me and there is only one way out. there were so few people there over those days, it should be possible to catch the poacher and see they are brought to justice.
    If your so concerned you and all your friends should have called the troopers. Who needs this crap here. Poaching happens all over, but tell the right people is my honest opinion.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I am "concerned" and I believe this ^%* belongs here just as much if not more than any other thread about hunting related topics!!! and As i posted earlier the troopers were informed, and I even ended my hunt early to report it in the hopes that it might aid in the identification of the poacher. Also there were other hunters who are members here that were around when this occurred and it is my hope some of them might of seen something that would aid in the investigation.

stating that this happens all the time as some sort of reason to do nothing, does nothing but encourage this type of behavior. And reporting violations like this is the responsibility of ALL ethical hunters. Poaching reflects on all hunters whether we like it or not, and the more attention it receives the more uncomfortable a potential poacher becomes. the only deterrent to breaking the law for someone who is willing to do it is the risk of being caught and punished!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    I am "concerned" and I believe this ^%* belongs here just as much if not more than any other thread about hunting related topics!!! and As i posted earlier the troopers were informed, and I even ended my hunt early to report it in the hopes that it might aid in the identification of the poacher. Also there were other hunters who are members here that were around when this occurred and it is my hope some of them might of seen something that would aid in the investigation.

stating that this happens all the time as some sort of reason to do nothing, does nothing but encourage this type of behavior. And reporting violations like this is the responsibility of ALL ethical hunters. Poaching reflects on all hunters whether we like it or not, and the more attention it receives the more uncomfortable a potential poacher becomes. the only deterrent to breaking the law for someone who is willing to do it is the risk of being caught and punished!
    Sorry dude, not knocking you, just think we all hear enough about poaching on the news and either they caught someone or they didn't. I'm just saying, if you caught someone redhanded and turned him in to the big boys, then post here and say you did something to help the situataion. Otherwise, IMHO, it ain't a subject here.
    Hell, post a joke or something if you need to type something thats of no use on this site. Can't fix what ain't broke as far as government is concerned. Troopers been told so good enough. If your a wanna be trooper, then catch these guys and then tell us your story........lol
    JMO of course. Have at it tho if you want to. Free world. OOPs, no it's not, some of the Mods here seem to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Sorry dude, not knocking you, just think we all hear enough about poaching on the news and either they caught someone or they didn't. I'm just saying, if you caught someone redhanded and turned him in to the big boys, then post here and say you did something to help the situataion. Otherwise, IMHO, it ain't a subject here.
    Hell, post a joke or something if you need to type something thats of no use on this site. Can't fix what ain't broke as far as government is concerned. Troopers been told so good enough. If your a wanna be trooper, then catch these guys and then tell us your story........lol
    JMO of course. Have at it tho if you want to. Free world. OOPs, no it's not, some of the Mods here seem to disagree.
    Grizz, I know from reading your other thread that you have been drinking and typing.

IMHO this post is valid and the OP is requesting help from others that were in the same area.

I ask you Sir if you disagree, please just don't follow this thread. (unsubcribe )

Have a great night.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Grizz, I know from reading your other thread that you have been drinking and typing.

IMHO this post is valid and the OP is requesting help from others that were in the same area.

I ask you Sir if you disagree, please just don't follow this thread. (unsubcribe )

Have a great night.

Steve
    Sorry guys, not trying to be a jerk if I came off that way to you all. Just seems to be a funny post to me, unless looking for other witnesses. As I see it, no witnesses, no case. But then again, maybe I'm wrong and no-one else knows this crap goes down daily in every state in the union. Old history, so....what we gonna do about it? How about we start a thread on how to catch poachers and where to turn em in? JMO

I think Steve gave you some great advice......

Good post. I have never understood why others post if they don't like it. Just don't read it. Hopefully they will figure out who it was that did this. If it was a potlatch moose, there would have been no need to hide it.

LOL, gotta say stupid stuff here to get some of you lurkers to finally make a comment. Seeing all kinds of new names tonight that never say anything. Mission accomplished.

Lurkers? new names? Looking at the # of posts for all the "new names" it would appear that "GrizzlyH" is a pretty new name - lurker? Just an notation of obvious fact!! Agree with posting this thread and hopefully it will produce the original poster's intent.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Kids!.....They'll say the darndest things, won't they?

I hope this comes to a prompt resolution. Was all of the meat taken, or only some of it ? If someone really needed to eat, I cannot fault them, for there is provision in such circumstance.

I don't think this was a starvation case, they had a vehicle and were on a road. I would love to find out this was a legal kill of some kind, but so far all evidence says otherwise. This is a very low density moose area with very heavy restrictions on hunting, and every moose really counts especially when it is a cow, which it seemed to be. I saw a huge bull nearby, and several other cows, it looks like this one won't be adding any new calves to the population.

If it was near the road, how do you know it wasn't a road kill? I know, you're supposed to turn it in, but failing to turn in a road kill is a far cry from calling some guy a poacher. Seems like a lot of drama for a dead moose by the road. Sure, it would be nice to know what happened but be patient...poachers usually can't keep their mouths shut. Somebody will spill the beans. Flame away.