Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the Honda hold up?

Default How does the Honda hold up?

I know everyone has there own Idea of the Ideal ATV.. I am trying to get some input on each. I have looked at several so far and will be getting mine in the spring.

I have had honda in the past and had no issues. I don't like the low ground clearance though.

What does everyone have and what are some of the perks and bad thinks you have noticed?

I am caping out at around 10k for the one I buy.

What I will use it for. Hunting, Hunting, and hunting/sight seeing.

I dont care about speed so much as long as I get in and back out I am happy.

MontHunter

i have a 2004 forman 450 with manual tranny and that thing has gotten me in and out of some hairy situations with no problems. this think has taken alot of abuse and is still running like a chanmp they may not be the fastest or the prettiest things on the trail, but you know what it gets the job done reliably. I have an argo now and still take my honda with me on occasion. through the stuff the argo goes through. If I buy another 4 wheeler it'll be a honda.

Quote Originally Posted by monthunter View Post
    I know everyone has there own Idea of the Ideal ATV.. I am trying to get some input on each. I have looked at several so far and will be getting mine in the spring.

I have had honda in the past and had no issues. I don't like the low ground clearance though.

What does everyone have and what are some of the perks and bad thinks you have noticed?

I am caping out at around 10k for the one I buy.

What I will use it for. Hunting, Hunting, and hunting/sight seeing.

I dont care about speed so much as long as I get in and back out I am happy.

MontHunter
    http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-.../overview.aspx

I have the '04 H2 Arctic Cat 650, one brother has the 500, another one has the 700 efi and the last one has H1 650 have friends with TRV's and all the ones mentioned above plus a couple of 400's. Mixed in the group are also a couple of older Suzuki's and Honda's. There is even one Honda FourTrax that should have been retired years ago, thing looks like it got run off a cliff. All very, very capable machines and each has it's own better then the other story.

A couple of things to look at......are you going to ride only? If not then consider a two rider machine, maybe even consider if you are going to want to carry your gear on the bike. Make sure what ever machine you buy that it has the capability to start in gear. I have a friend with a Foreman that got stuck in a bog and then stalled....we could not get it out of low gear to restart it, which made getting it out way harder then it needed to be. Don't get one that you can modify to start in gear either. Get the biggest winch you can get for the machine. Consider aftermarket tires, especially if the area you are in tends to be wet, but not necessarily bigger. Definately look at EFI, switchable 2X4/4X4, differential lock is a big plus, check the intake position, higher is better. If machine has belt drive check to see how easy it is to change/dryout. It's rare but it does happen.

I am sure I missed a couple of things. I tried to advise, stay neutral and not create a war but I do love my Arctic Cat products.

Dupont, I just bought the 2010 Rancher and they told me if I killed it to pull the brake on the left side of the handle bar and it would start right up.( in gear), don't know if that helps.

Heard the newer ones do....just do not how far back that is true. For fact it's not on the Honda '04 Foreman and I met someone a year or so ago that had a TRV with auto (not sure what year) and he had to modify his to start in gear.

I am pretty sure most new rigs will now start in gear. Not sure about all the UTV's. If you get a machine that does not start in gear, know how to bypass that safety just in case.

Rock Skipper,
    That was the main reason I sold my Rancher was because it would not start in gear and I got tired of breaking the pin that made the neutral light come on. This also would not allow the stupid thing to start. It left me stranded and I had to walk out 5 miles on a hunting trip, it was the last time. It was tempting to light it up right there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Heard the newer ones do....just do not how far back that is true. For fact it's not on the Honda '04 Foreman and I met someone a year or so ago that had a TRV with auto (not sure what year) and he had to modify his to start in gear.

I am pretty sure most new rigs will now start in gear. Not sure about all the UTV's. If you get a machine that does not start in gear, know how to bypass that safety just in case.

Rock Skipper,
    That was the main reason I sold my Rancher was because it would not start in gear and I got tired of breaking the pin that made the neutral light come on. This also would not allow the stupid thing to start. It left me stranded and I had to walk out 5 miles on a hunting trip, it was the last time. It was tempting to light it up right there.
    they all start in gear if you hold the correct break. handle..

as for honda how will it hold up?

thats the one bike that always goes.. always has.. thats why they cost more...

then i would put Suzuki

then a toss up between Polaris and AC...

then Yamaha

then Kawasaki

most guys that have absolute brand loyalty "their never breaks" have never really rode much or used them like they were never meant to be.

i cant believe how many 5 year old bikes are for sale with 200-500 miles on them... I put 2000 on my susi... the first year..now over 5500

the Honda has nearly 7 k on it..

the Yamaha.. 4k (kids bike)

and the AC i bought used... got 1700 last summer/fall

they all break

they all cost..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am pretty sure my FIL's 98 foreman will start if you squeeze the left brake handle.

Honda is probably the most bulletproof make out there, but the truth is, they all are pretty good any more. You just have to sort through all the options and find what you like the most. Manual shift, CVT....strength of a solid rear axle, extra clearance of independent suspension....power or manual steering.....the power of big CC's or sip the gas good mileage.....etc...

I've got a '92 Honda 300, an '04 Polaris 6x6, a '08 Polaris 90, a '83 Suzuki 50 and have had a couple of other Suzukis. They all have done what I have asked of them and none have really been any more troublesome than any other. I do ask quite a bit more of my 6x6 than I do of any of the 4x4s, it is simply a work horse and I abuse it (and expect the repairs accordingly).

Don't concern yourself so much with the brand name as the options available/preferred on each individual machine.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have to agree whole heartedly with the comment about not concerning yourself with brand specific any more look more for the options and pricing that you want. Although he did ask about honda LOL so........

Thanks for all the info. As all have stated I am trying to keep an open mind on what one to get. Only asked about Honda due to I owned one 20 some years ago and it was hardy. I do like locking diff on some of the other brands. This spring I a off to test drive a lot of them and see what they offer

My '95 honda fourtrax won't start in gear. (holding either handle) Had to try after reading this thread to make sure I wasn't crazy.

To the OP.. Have to agree with most of the rest. Look for specifics that you want in a machine without being brand specific.

With that said my little honda has not failed to start in 15 years. Even had someone offer me $2500 for it. I guess that is why I bought my sons rancher 420s last year. Just seemed like the smart thing to do given my history with honda.

I bought two 2008 Honda Foreman 500's with elect. steering for the wife and I. Not much hardcore riding, although occasionally find myself on a local somewhat nasty trail. Mine now has a winch, snowplow and heated grips, along with 26" mudlite tires. It pretty much keeps up with the others on the technical trails (yamahas, suzukis and polaris) with the better tires. Have to watch your line through the deep mud and ruts, but it does fine. Not great, just fine... Considering the price, $6100 ea from dealer they do good enough for me. Old technology on them like carbs(takes awhile to warm up and so so power) and solid rear axle (rough ride, less clearance) don't bother me much. They both start good and run strong. I always like Honda products for quality. And these are proving to be good work horses for us.
    The Yamahas and Suzukis are good bikes also...both with more up to date technology. Wouldn't buy a Polaris myself, seen and heard of too many problems.

I respect both Honda and Suzuki for thier relability but I went with Arctic Cat because of the options available and it's ground clearance. I'm a big boy and I feel even bigger on those smaller bikes.....
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I have a 06 Rancher 400 and have had to replace two switches on the handle bars. I had to roll over a 2004 F-250 on top of it first though. The handle bars came back into alignment with a loosing of a couple of bolts. It saved my life. Other than that it is one bullet proof machine. I have a Honda 90 outboard, 5 h.p. Honda dredge, 928 snow blower and a Honda brush cutter.......

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I will agree that Honda wheelers are bullet proof but come on They STILL are not putting IRS on all of there machines??? I myself have an 02 foreman that I ride but everytime I'm out on that thing its just a miserable ride. Do yourself a favor and get IRS and power steering both make a world of a difference
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Honda has two models with the IRS. The Rincon and the rancher. I have the Rincon and love it.

All the bells and whistles wont do you a thing when your bike wont start. Get a Honda and you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    Honda has two models with the IRS. The Rincon and the rancher. I have the Rincon and love it.

All the bells and whistles wont do you a thing when your bike wont start. Get a Honda and you won't regret it.
    We have '09 420s. Pretty much barebone machines.

Only thing i see wrong is no option for kick or pull start. Dealer added a quick dongle for a battery tender but that helps like a hemorrhoid if you are solo with a dead battery.

Have used the kickstart on my fourtrax hundreds of times.

I have an AC 700 and it has a recoil starter. I was surprised to find that while I wouldn't call it fun to pull it isn't too bad. I do need to get the part number for the battery plus replacement though. It is nice to know that I can pull start my machine but I would prefer to not need to!

I personally do not like Honda's even though I grew up on Honda Ranchers. Honda is generally overpriced and underpowered. On most Honda models no locker and no low, which are two of the most important things on a 4x4 utility quad. Everything else depends on what exactly you want. If your intended use is hunting and 10K is you limit you can shoot for any brand. All brands have there ups and downs and different dirvetrains, with more info for what your intended use is, I could possibly put more info out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast