Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Rod of choice

  1. #1
    Member aktyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North pole
    Posts
    304

    Default Rod of choice

    if given the choice would you rather sport a GLoomis or St Croix? and who whould roll with a ugly stick?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448

    Default

    What are you going to be fishing for and where? Each one of the rods you mentioned have their place.

  3. #3
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    I'm partial to St Croix myself. Grew up in Wisconsin where they're made. St Croix has much smaller guides on their casting and spinning rods which makes for better precision when casting. Although Loomis will say their rods are fast action, I find the tip section of Loomis to be a little "noodly". Same with their fly rods, seem way to whipy in the forward half of the rod. Both rods have strong butt sections and are well made. Both are backed by lifetime warantys, but I like St Croix much better.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  4. #4
    Member aktyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North pole
    Posts
    304

    Default

    i used to fish the ugly stick... till i was handed a friends loomis to try out... now i have several loomis rods and each one does exactly as i wish... puts a slightly bigger dent in the wallet than the st croix too... which sucks.. but you get over it fast

  5. #5
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Its pretty hard to beat a GL-3 spinning rod. I have a couple. I also roll w/ uglystick on the gillnetter because of the abuse

  6. #6

    Default

    Based on the warrenty experience I had with St. Croix after breaking a rod when landing a fish, I would go with some other rod company.

    ClearCreek

  7. #7
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
    Based on the warrenty experience I had with St. Croix after breaking a rod when landing a fish, I would go with some other rod company.

    ClearCreek
    What happened? I've broke two and got great service.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  8. #8
    Member aktyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North pole
    Posts
    304

    Default

    fro what i understand g loomis has a no questions asked fix it or replace it policy... true? false?

  9. #9
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    The only rods i use anymore is ugly sticks. got 3 of the nice little 4'8" trout 1 piece spinning, and a 1 piece 6'6"striper stick" baitcaster that i can use for snaggin on the beaches and flippin for salmon and trout on the rivers. For trolling/ downrigger fishing i use an 8'6" tiger stick baitcaster. they just dont break without a good reason and they take all the abuse i can give....even my ice fishin rods are ugly stick. in my book, nothin beats em.... ive bought many a new rod over the years, but sadly, they always get broke...especially with kids around.



    Release Lake Trout

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    841

    Default

    I'll second what Kgpcr posted that it depends on species & method that you intend to use the rod for.

    With the high end rods each one has a specific type of method that they were built for which is great when you can afford to buy a different rod for each method but not so great on the wallet in the beginning. Still I would suggest that you get the best built rod for the method that you will it most often for and roll with that.

    Certified Pro Lamiglas has my vote and is the rod that I use most often for kings, silvers, & trout.

  11. #11

    Default

    Raptor - as I mentioned it broke when I was landing a coho. About 6 weeks later while on vacation in Wisconsin I took it by the St. Croix factory and told them what happened. At first they did not believe me and said it looked like it had been slammed in a vehicle door. That rod had NEVER been even close to being slammed in a car door. The guy at the factory said there was nothing they could do. I was peeved at this point and told him so. He then said, well wait a minute and went back to the office in the back. About 5 minutes later he came out and said, "Do you want it fixed?" At that point I said yes, I will get it fixed so I can sell it as soon as possible - not going to use it again!! I left if there and paid them the postage to get it shipped back to my home in WY. About a month later the fixed rod showed up. Have not used it since, but I still have it.

    Not sure what would have happened if I would have just shipped the rod to them.

    That is my St. Croix story.

    ClearCreek

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    fro what i understand g loomis has a no questions asked fix it or replace it policy... true? false?
    True. All you have to do is pay for postage.

  13. #13
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
    Raptor - as I mentioned it broke when I was landing a coho. About 6 weeks later while on vacation in Wisconsin I took it by the St. Croix factory and told them what happened. At first they did not believe me and said it looked like it had been slammed in a vehicle door. That rod had NEVER been even close to being slammed in a car door. The guy at the factory said there was nothing they could do. I was peeved at this point and told him so. He then said, well wait a minute and went back to the office in the back. About 5 minutes later he came out and said, "Do you want it fixed?" At that point I said yes, I will get it fixed so I can sell it as soon as possible - not going to use it again!! I left if there and paid them the postage to get it shipped back to my home in WY. About a month later the fixed rod showed up. Have not used it since, but I still have it.

    Not sure what would have happened if I would have just shipped the rod to them.

    That is my St. Croix story.

    ClearCreek
    Sorry about the luck dude. I hate to hear stories like that about a company I trust. I love Croix rods, and hate to hear stories like that. Every company will have different reviews. Some bad, some good. This is the way it works. As a St Croix loyalist, I will hold allegiance to the company, but will not blame you for the bad experience. Hope it all worked out, tight lines
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  14. #14

    Default

    If it has to be one or the other , I vote loomis , The St croixs are nice (they just break so easy ) you might want look at Lammaglass rods

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I like the St. Croix rods. I had a nice Loomis for several years that my grandfather gave me and broke it on a steelhead in MI. Never broke a St. Croix yet. With kids in daycare and 2 car payments I see no reason to spend the extra on the loomis. My Wild River is a solid rod and it has treated me well on everything from big stripers in the chesapeake bay to silvers in AK. I like it and can't beat the 150 price. The best thing about it is I can catch 2-5 lb smallmouth bass on it and not feel overpowered and also handle saltwater stripers and redfish with no trouble. Not beating up on Loomis cause they make great stuff but i see no difference but the price. Just my 2 cents.

  16. #16
    Member aktyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North pole
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wlakel View Post
    I like the St. Croix rods. I had a nice Loomis for several years that my grandfather gave me and broke it on a steelhead in MI. Never broke a St. Croix yet. With kids in daycare and 2 car payments I see no reason to spend the extra on the loomis. My Wild River is a solid rod and it has treated me well on everything from big stripers in the chesapeake bay to silvers in AK. I like it and can't beat the 150 price. The best thing about it is I can catch 2-5 lb smallmouth bass on it and not feel overpowered and also handle saltwater stripers and redfish with no trouble. Not beating up on Loomis cause they make great stuff but i see no difference but the price. Just my 2 cents.
    i found a few loomis rods at sportsmans today for 150ish

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I want a Loomis Bronzeback for smaller fish but wont swing the 200+ for it. 150 is probly a steal if you need the loomis.

  18. #18
    Member aktyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North pole
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wlakel View Post
    I want a Loomis Bronzeback for smaller fish but wont swing the 200+ for it. 150 is probly a steal if you need the loomis.
    gl2 would be the reason

  19. #19

    Default

    The best salmon and steelhead rod for the money in my opinion is the Lamiglas certified Pro. Great for bobber and drift fishing. I like loomis rods too but the faster action makes them a little more stiff on some of their models, plus the price is much higher. The best value for the $ are Ugly Sticks and I like the Ugly Lite 7ft 6 -15lb test is a fun spinning rod for silvers, dollies, and rainbows.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •