Thread: Rod of choice

Default Rod of choice

if given the choice would you rather sport a GLoomis or St Croix? and who whould roll with a ugly stick?

What are you going to be fishing for and where? Each one of the rods you mentioned have their place.

I'm partial to St Croix myself. Grew up in Wisconsin where they're made. St Croix has much smaller guides on their casting and spinning rods which makes for better precision when casting. Although Loomis will say their rods are fast action, I find the tip section of Loomis to be a little "noodly". Same with their fly rods, seem way to whipy in the forward half of the rod. Both rods have strong butt sections and are well made. Both are backed by lifetime warantys, but I like St Croix much better.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

i used to fish the ugly stick... till i was handed a friends loomis to try out... now i have several loomis rods and each one does exactly as i wish... puts a slightly bigger dent in the wallet than the st croix too... which sucks.. but you get over it fast

Its pretty hard to beat a GL-3 spinning rod. I have a couple. I also roll w/ uglystick on the gillnetter because of the abuse

Based on the warrenty experience I had with St. Croix after breaking a rod when landing a fish, I would go with some other rod company.

ClearCreek

Quote Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
    Based on the warrenty experience I had with St. Croix after breaking a rod when landing a fish, I would go with some other rod company.

ClearCreek
    What happened? I've broke two and got great service.

fro what i understand g loomis has a no questions asked fix it or replace it policy... true? false?

The only rods i use anymore is ugly sticks. got 3 of the nice little 4'8" trout 1 piece spinning, and a 1 piece 6'6"striper stick" baitcaster that i can use for snaggin on the beaches and flippin for salmon and trout on the rivers. For trolling/ downrigger fishing i use an 8'6" tiger stick baitcaster. they just dont break without a good reason and they take all the abuse i can give....even my ice fishin rods are ugly stick. in my book, nothin beats em.... ive bought many a new rod over the years, but sadly, they always get broke...especially with kids around.

Release Lake Trout

I'll second what Kgpcr posted that it depends on species & method that you intend to use the rod for.

With the high end rods each one has a specific type of method that they were built for which is great when you can afford to buy a different rod for each method but not so great on the wallet in the beginning. Still I would suggest that you get the best built rod for the method that you will it most often for and roll with that.

Certified Pro Lamiglas has my vote and is the rod that I use most often for kings, silvers, & trout.

Raptor - as I mentioned it broke when I was landing a coho. About 6 weeks later while on vacation in Wisconsin I took it by the St. Croix factory and told them what happened. At first they did not believe me and said it looked like it had been slammed in a vehicle door. That rod had NEVER been even close to being slammed in a car door. The guy at the factory said there was nothing they could do. I was peeved at this point and told him so. He then said, well wait a minute and went back to the office in the back. About 5 minutes later he came out and said, "Do you want it fixed?" At that point I said yes, I will get it fixed so I can sell it as soon as possible - not going to use it again!! I left if there and paid them the postage to get it shipped back to my home in WY. About a month later the fixed rod showed up. Have not used it since, but I still have it.

Not sure what would have happened if I would have just shipped the rod to them.

That is my St. Croix story.

ClearCreek

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    fro what i understand g loomis has a no questions asked fix it or replace it policy... true? false?
    True. All you have to do is pay for postage.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
    Raptor - as I mentioned it broke when I was landing a coho. About 6 weeks later while on vacation in Wisconsin I took it by the St. Croix factory and told them what happened. At first they did not believe me and said it looked like it had been slammed in a vehicle door. That rod had NEVER been even close to being slammed in a car door. The guy at the factory said there was nothing they could do. I was peeved at this point and told him so. He then said, well wait a minute and went back to the office in the back. About 5 minutes later he came out and said, "Do you want it fixed?" At that point I said yes, I will get it fixed so I can sell it as soon as possible - not going to use it again!! I left if there and paid them the postage to get it shipped back to my home in WY. About a month later the fixed rod showed up. Have not used it since, but I still have it.

Not sure what would have happened if I would have just shipped the rod to them.

That is my St. Croix story.

ClearCreek
    Sorry about the luck dude. I hate to hear stories like that about a company I trust. I love Croix rods, and hate to hear stories like that. Every company will have different reviews. Some bad, some good. This is the way it works. As a St Croix loyalist, I will hold allegiance to the company, but will not blame you for the bad experience. Hope it all worked out, tight lines

If it has to be one or the other , I vote loomis , The St croixs are nice (they just break so easy ) you might want look at Lammaglass rods

I like the St. Croix rods. I had a nice Loomis for several years that my grandfather gave me and broke it on a steelhead in MI. Never broke a St. Croix yet. With kids in daycare and 2 car payments I see no reason to spend the extra on the loomis. My Wild River is a solid rod and it has treated me well on everything from big stripers in the chesapeake bay to silvers in AK. I like it and can't beat the 150 price. The best thing about it is I can catch 2-5 lb smallmouth bass on it and not feel overpowered and also handle saltwater stripers and redfish with no trouble. Not beating up on Loomis cause they make great stuff but i see no difference but the price. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Wlakel View Post
    I like the St. Croix rods. I had a nice Loomis for several years that my grandfather gave me and broke it on a steelhead in MI. Never broke a St. Croix yet. With kids in daycare and 2 car payments I see no reason to spend the extra on the loomis. My Wild River is a solid rod and it has treated me well on everything from big stripers in the chesapeake bay to silvers in AK. I like it and can't beat the 150 price. The best thing about it is I can catch 2-5 lb smallmouth bass on it and not feel overpowered and also handle saltwater stripers and redfish with no trouble. Not beating up on Loomis cause they make great stuff but i see no difference but the price. Just my 2 cents.
    i found a few loomis rods at sportsmans today for 150ish

I want a Loomis Bronzeback for smaller fish but wont swing the 200+ for it. 150 is probly a steal if you need the loomis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wlakel View Post
    I want a Loomis Bronzeback for smaller fish but wont swing the 200+ for it. 150 is probly a steal if you need the loomis.
    gl2 would be the reason

The best salmon and steelhead rod for the money in my opinion is the Lamiglas certified Pro. Great for bobber and drift fishing. I like loomis rods too but the faster action makes them a little more stiff on some of their models, plus the price is much higher. The best value for the $ are Ugly Sticks and I like the Ugly Lite 7ft 6 -15lb test is a fun spinning rod for silvers, dollies, and rainbows.