Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting around Arctic valley area?

Default Hunting around Arctic valley area?

I was thinking of looking for ptarmigan off of the arctic valley road and want to stay out of the arctic valley ski area. Is there a sign that tell you when you enter the area or what is the best way to know. I have hiked up there before but can't remember if there was any signs. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    I was thinking of looking for ptarmigan off of the arctic valley road and want to stay out of the arctic valley ski area. Is there a sign that tell you when you enter the area or what is the best way to know. I have hiked up there before but can't remember if there was any signs. Thanks for any help.
    I'm not sure if the ski area boundaries are marked, but I'm pretty sure the area you're talking about is Ft Richardson (now JBER) land, and you'll need to comply with their access and weapons registration requirements before going afield. The main gate Visitor Center has pass and access info. I'd hate to see you get jacked up for not having the proper paperwork.

Yep, need to go through Ft. Richardson's procedures.

I disagree. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    I disagree. PM sent.
    What's to disagree? Why PM, clue us all in if we're not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    What's to disagree? Why PM, clue us all in if we're not correct.
    Nah. PM if anyone would like info.

Don't run the risk of being fined and detained - Arctic Valley Road is on military land. Just because there isn't an active gate and guard doesn't mean it's open access. Trust me.. having a M16 pointed at your back while your face down on the ground isn't fun. Find out the rules before you go and keep the name of who you talked to on you.

After 9-1-1 the entire road and area was closed to anyone outside essential military personnel. The Army wouldn't even allow sledding which frustrated many Anchorage residents. Contact JBER's Law Enforcement desk for more information and rules for access. They will most likely direct you to contact the Wildlife agent on duty. I'm not sure, but I think the number may be 384-1128 (it's been a while since I've called myself and operations on base may have changed).

The military frequently closes roads, land regions, etc. on base depending on a number of factors such as operations, troop movements, and live fire training. Anyone who has had Ft. Richardson permits will concur. Usually hunters are required to check-in and check-out at the base gate before hunting - remember, you do have a weapon and are hunting on a military installation.

Rules may be different for small game - protect yourself and check for yourself. This is one case I wouldn't trust the direction of a member of the forums and a PM. It's always good to take input from others but check for yourself.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Arctic valley has a nice web sight and I think the boundaries of the ski area are on a map. There are a ton of people up there skiing around on a weekend so be careful. The real issue is that it is military land.

I have been up there 100's of times and have never heard a gun shot. I have seen thousands of ptarmigan also. I don't know the rules but would bet shooting is a no go unless for DLP.

Yep, everyone just stay away or you will be detained and fined by the military.
    Works for me.

The issue of whether or not it's military land is moot because the entire Tokle Creek drainage (of which Arctic Valley is a part) is closed to hunting. The regs are very clear. Read the Chugach State Park Management Area description on page 4. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/gmu14.pdf

Yep, everyone just stay away or you will be detained and fined by the military.
    Works for me.
    I second this!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Hmmm. Interesting, but there does appear to be an eastern limit to Ft Rich mgmt area. I would need more information to know whether that necessarily meant all-clear for hunting small (or other) game east of the FRA.

Info from ADF&G (http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm..._ftrich&gmu=14) includes link to map of GMU 14 restrictions and clear eastern border.

Here's another link with more detailed map (http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservat...USARTRAK.htm): click on "FRA" to get map with Arctic Valley area and Ft Rich installation boundary - which appears to be just west of the ski area. The ski area and beyond appear to be outside the FRA. Sounds like SetterMan has some good information - though the link wouldn't load for me. I'll try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    If you want to hunt small game off of Arctic Valley road you need to get a RAP(recreational access pass) at the front gate of Fort Richardson, you will also need to register any firearms you wish to bring onto Fort Rich at that time. To register weapons you just need to know the serial numbers, make, model, and caliber/gauge you do not need to bring the weapons in to be registered.

Even if you plan on hunting the end of Arctic Valley road off the military reservation you will still need to register your weapons since you will be driving through part of Ft Rich.

Alaskanoutdoorsman I can only imagine what you were up to for the Military Police to put you on the ground and stick an M16 in your back?

Yes there is a gate on Arctic Valley road and it does get locked so be sure you are out of that area before they lock it at night.

If you want to know more go to the front gate and ask. If you don't want to know more feel free to follow everyone's suggestions on here and don't hunt up there.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

So, If I go up that road to use the ski area, I need to register my CCW or truck gun?
    That doesn't sound correct to me, broncoformuddy.

So, If I go up that road to use the ski area, I need to register my CCW or truck gun?
    It may not sound correct to you but that's what the rules are if you enter Ft Rich, I didn't make them up, I do not enforce them and I do not agree with them.

And since it is Federal property you can not carry concealed or even loaded while in your vehicle.

Rather than debate this here, just call the Natural Resources Office at 384-3909, Conservation Enforcement at 384-1128, or Military Police Dispatch at 384-0823. One of those three sources should be able to answer any specific access and/or weapons transport questions.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    Rather than debate this here, just call the Natural Resources Office at 384-3909, Conservation Enforcement at 384-1128, or Military Police Dispatch at 384-0823. One of those three sources should be able to answer any specific access and/or weapons transport questions.
    Right on Dave. It's nice to hear a voice of reason occasionally around here. Too many folks quick to criticize or complain without knowing the full scoop.

Not much different than if you went to one of the schools, like Chugiak or Service, and parked there to use the adjacent ski trails. Even though you are "just passing through" the school grounds, you are still subject to the laws that restrict firearm posession on school grounds.

Just called MP. I DO NOT need to register any weapons or contact the military in any way if im hunting in lands other than military lands. Just usin' the road, good to go.
    They SUGGESTED I unload them, and inform any MP of their presence if contacted.

Thanks for the numbers lonewolf.

And to OP: Ya, lemme know when you get some time to play.

Man, that's like 8 people giving out incorrect info. WOW.

I am military and I thought that you could go up there with a waepon. I would unload it... because I know how some of the MP's and SF's members are. They are unsure of the rules just like half the people in here. They still might give you a hard time even though they are wrong. Good luck hunting out there. If anyone just eat the breast off of them and need to get ride of the rest let me know. My trapping bait pile could use some help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast