Thread: Any thing else to hunt in PWS

Talking Any thing else to hunt in PWS

So the islands in PWS have deer and bear but are there any other animals on the islands like Lynx, fox, rabbit, coyote never herd of anyone hunting anything else out there so I was just wondering if anyone has any stories.
    And Bigfoot dont count unless you have a body and pics to back it up

Goats on the mainland, a few moose up at the head of one bay, river otters, mink, and supposedly some marten to trap, lots of sea ducks. No wolves or yotes that I've heard of.

Don't forget wolverine. I have seen them on the islands as well as the main land. PWS is the only place that I have actually seen marten. Pretty cool animals. I have heard of both wolves and yotes being seen on the eastern side. It gets a bit sporty out there for me when they are in season. The marine forecast for the next few days looks to be about as good as it gets for this time of year FWIW.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Wolves and coyotes on the mainland and coyotes on at least Hinchinbrook Is. and I've heard rumors about people seeing them on Hawkins Is. too.

Ptarmigan on the higher m.ts on the islands and mainland and spruce grouse on most of the islands and mainland.

Moose on the mainland but very sparse and I know at least one island that gets a few moose. But that's all I'm gonna say about that.
    Mink on many of the islands, and fox on a few. I think left over from the fur farms that were prevalent in the Sound back in the day.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I ran into several spruce chickens on naked island, and I seen what looked like wolverine tracks on culross

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Moose on the mainland but very sparse and I know at least one island that gets a few moose. But that's all I'm gonna say about that.
    Nan goon berries are pretty good pickin too :wink

You know too much Fullbush! Yes there were a couple nice bucks taken this year in the nagoonberry patch near the moose pasture.
    - Jef Mallett

I saw what I'm pretty sure were cat tracks in the snow on Knight a few years ago. But the tracks were old and had been distorted quite a bit by the sun, so definite identification wasn't possible.

It certainly would surprise me if there weren't at least some predators out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Yes there are coyotes on the eastern side seen a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I ran into several spruce chickens on naked island, and I seen what looked like wolverine tracks on culross
    Theres lots of wolverine in the sound. They hangout on the mainland in the northern district. They patrol the beaches in the winter pretty frequently. I've seen as many as 3 adults at once

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    You know too much Fullbush! Yes there were a couple nice bucks taken this year in the nagoonberry patch near the moose pasture.
    Mr twodux, the nagoonberry patch I'm referring to does not have bucks This island may not technically be considered PWS tho

In fact the secret nagoonberry patch is not very far from where your buoy ball likes to be at highwater during silver season. (mine too but not w/ you and rusty hogging it, actually Jr's buoy is closer to the patch)
    Yes twodux this particular berry patch produced a gallon of nagoons w/in 10 minutes of me and shannon picking. Size averaged that of a healthy salmonberry (no lie)

LOL I know that patch well. Sometimes the ground looks red from all the berries. I don't think that island would qualify for being in the Sound. I was refering to the nagoonberry patch where JR's family owned land. I know a few moose have been seen and harvested there. The locals there are pretty secretive about it. That's where Little Swede's brother Rob shot a couple very very nice bucks earlier this season in his secret nagoonberry patch. And that Is. would definitely qualify as being in the Sound.
    - Jef Mallett