Thread: Wrist Gaiters

Default Wrist Gaiters

I had a guy once tell me about wrist gaiters he used to use for mushing that had a pocket over the veigns for chem warmers. Has anyone heard of or used these? Any ideas of where to find them or who makes them. I have some hardware in my wrist and the cold just eats through to the bone and kills.
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Yep, the premise is to warm the blood a bit before going to your fingers. I found some while looking for my battery operated gloves. You should be able to find them by doing a search for heated gloves.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

I know the theory works, been slipping them under the cuff of my glove liners. It actually works great! The problem I'm having is finding something with no fingers and a pocket for a chem warmer. The only thing I can find is the ones made by Marmot but nothing with a pocket.

Here are some mitten gloves but the pocket is in the fingers of the flip top.
    http://safetycentral.com/rawomiglwipo.html

http://safetycentral.com/fobamiwithli.html

Try a pair of tennis wristbands. Make a slit on the inside of them to tuck your warmer in and you are good to go.

I would contact one of the small manufacturers/suppliers to see if they could custom build a pair for you. I can't imagine it would be too hard for them to put on a little pocket for you. I've gotten wrist gaiters from Mountain Ridge and Alpine Outfitters.

Thanks for the help guys!

Default Wristers

I believe the answer to the question asked in the OP could be what is known to the commercial fisherman community as wristers. The ones I have, I purchased at one of the commercial fishing supply outfits in SE AK. They are made of wetsuit material, are 8-10 inches in length and are quite snug. I've never used them in winter conditions so I can not speak to that, however I did use them in the summer in SE AK, which some consider "winter conditions" :-). As to their suitability for Interior (real) winter, I have my doubts. Wristers don't breath, as such trap moisture and will prevent chemical heat pack such as HOT HANDS from functioning. My understanding is that the heat packs require oxygen to generate the heat. No breathing = no oxygen = no heat. I read somewhere that the process is exothermic oxidation, faster than rust and slower than fire.

I have tried heat packs in the gloves...nope, that pesky no breathing thing, because? of the waterproofing layer. I have tried heat packs under the wrist bands favored by tennis players, I thought I was on to something, put the heat at a point where the blood flow to the frozen phalanges is closest to the skin...that don't work either. Maybe I did it wrong, cause the packs would not stay in place. It ended up being a pain in the wrist...hey, the children are present.

As my handle implies I'm a surveyor. I sometimes get stuck behind the gun for hours. I'm the guy outside ALL day, everyday in all kinds of weather, the rain of Southeast, the cold of the Slope. I've been doing it for quite a spell. You'd think I'd have learned by now to get in out of the weather, to a nice cozy office, but then my extensive collection of foul weather gear would be wasted (trial and error...anybody wanna buy some stuff that don't work?), as would my degree in warm-n-dryology.

Fear not, I have found the best place for heat packs, and that, my friends is in the TWO breast pockets of a good heavy wool shirt. Keep the core warm and all else follows. The wife and I have a name for them...but the kiddies are present...In fact it rhythms with kiddie...let's call 'em kiddie warmers.

But if someone out there as got a better place for them, as long as it ain't where the sun don't shine, I'm a all ears.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Party thanks for the reply. I can't over dress my core or I just sweat like a dog. My prob is that my hands get cold too easily due to blood thinners and some hardware in one wrist. You are exactly right about the chem warmers being an exothermic reaction requiring owygen. In fact I posted somewhere that you can actually put them in a plastic bag and save them if you say have only used them for an hour or 2.

Well after EXTENSIVE research I finally found close to what I'm looking for. Marmot makes a pretty good stretch wrist gaiter. I got em from REI and they were only 20 bucks! So far they have been GREAT just sticking a heat pack on the bottom side of the wrist. They are a breathable material so they don't shut off the chem warmers. Eventually I'm going to take them to a taylor and get a mesh pocket of some sort sewn into place to keep the warmers from sliding during lots of moving around.

Glad you found something that works. I know I saw some that had pockets specifically for the chem warmers when I was first looking for my battery powered gloves but since you posted this, I have not been able to find any.