Thread: Adak Island caribou hunting report

Talking Adak Island caribou hunting report

Back from hunting caribou on Adak Island. Different hunt this time then last year. Flew in Sunday and decided to leave Thursday due to lack of bou. Got an ARGO from Jack Stewart and stayed at the Little Michael Lodge, one of the town homes available in Adak. ARGO got us to our goal but the snow level was still too high with caribou scattered in the far reaches of the island. Just guessing Id say there was about 4 to 5 different hunting parties on the island that we knew of. The report given on our arrival was dismal as many hunters were flying out empty handed. Monday we saw about 12 caribou, 5 in one pack. We put the stock on them closing in about 120 yards, all bedded down about 1:30pm, two bulls with horns, 3 other cows were guessing as we found out later the caribou had already started to drop. This trip Rob Stone took his brother Rick (West High principal) along, Rick had not hunted in a zillion years so we were hoping to put him on a nice size rack hence the reason for passing up the bou on Monday, Tuesday nothing - zilch as we went deep up near Shagak Bay. Reports that night of 4 bou taken near Mt. Moffett made its way through this all but empty town, everyone was pretty low key about any game spotted, a poker game at its best.

Wednesday WX report predicted snow; fell late overnight finally but not enough to stir any bou our way. That am we went as far as our ARGO would haul our butts, ran into some other hunters on 4-wheelers from out of state, they reported (with poker faces) not spotting anything yet so being good guys, we decided to get out of their way and headed back to explore Moffett a bit. Shot lots of ptarmigan, theyre all over the place. Explored more of Adak, Cynthia gave us a good behind the scenes tour of old buildings. Adaks history is simply amazing. Found the old bowling alley, gym etc.

So, if youre heading there to hunt, and it can be a good hunt, just get a good report before you go if you want meat. Personally, Id wait till late January to go back, by then bou will be wondering the streets of Adak. GOOD LUCK! As always, I learned lots and had a blast!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thanks for the story, good to know more about that hunt out there.

Ptarmigan are pretty tasty tho, any pics?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

If you don't have a milage ticket or anything, what do you figure the entire cost from Anchorage? Airfare, hotel, argo etc. Out of pocket by the time you get home?

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    If you don't have a milage ticket or anything, what do you figure the entire cost from Anchorage? Airfare, hotel, argo etc. Out of pocket by the time you get home?
    Plane ticket on Alaska Air - $1200 or so

Lodging = $110 per day (how many can you cram into a townhouse? = cheap)

ARGO = depends on the deal you cut with Jack Stewart. ARGO's haul about 4 people, ATVs rent between $50 to $100 per day I think so an ARGO is a good deal and, goes most places if not more then an ATV. Heated too!

Truck rental = about $85 per day. Not necessary if you get the ARGOs and don't want to road hunt.

Fly in Sunday, leave Thursday = 4 days total

I figure around on the low side, $1180 not including plane ticket for the 4 days.

$1180/4 = $295 per person

Plane = $1200

Total per person party of 4
    $1495

Cheap for a DIY caribou hunt that allows two bulls and unlimited cows considering many transporters charge around $2000 to the field and back, not including you plane ticket there. Food costs...around $300 for 4 days 4 people.

Caribou, no Caribou, so it go's.....

Sometimes the best Hunters go home with Nothing.......'cept another **** good story ~~LOL!!~~

Sounds like ya had fun
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Caribou, no Caribou, so it go's.....

Sometimes the best Hunters go home with Nothing.......'cept another **** good story ~~LOL!!~~

Sounds like ya had fun
    HA! Hey STRANGER! Ya, I did have fun. Could have shot plenty on Monday, but we decided to gamble on bigger horns seems as we already stocked the freezer with Kodiak deer. Got a great TV episode from it, made some friends, and laughed a lot. Caribou meat would last the winter, but the stories will be with me forever!

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    I did an Adak trip in 2008 with two buddies that cost us $400 total per person. We used airline miles, got a ride to the end of the road and hiked for 5 days taking 3 bulls. We stayed in one of the "hotels" for two nights then headed home. The cheapest hunt I've done by far.

I've heard all the big bulls have been shot out there? How many animals are estimated in that herd now? Is this the time of year to hunt for them or is September like other places in Alaska better? Is it more of a meat hunt then trophy hunt anymore? Sounds like a good price and I agree seems like an inexpensive hunt if you have airline miles.

Cg don't you mean 2009

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    Cg don't you mean 2009
    Yeah, I forgot what year it was there for a second!!