Thread: Everything boating

Default Everything boating

I find this "don't get off topic" curious, don't all conversations evolve ?

Can you imagine sitting down at a bar and starting a conversation about boat z's engine and having someone start talking about boat x's engine, and saying, "hey don't get off topic, this conversation is about my boat only."

So here's a thread for anything and everything boating.

So HG what do you mean by close coupled? I know that a lot of boats in Cordova run diesels with jets, without transmissions, aren't they close coupled?

I find the relationship of the chine to the keel, to be the least factor in how a boat performs.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I find it interesting that boaters (probably only male boaters) have two footitis regardless of the size of their current boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I find it interesting that boaters (probably only male boaters) have two footitis regardless of the size of their current boat.
    Thats because we can't afford four footitis

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    Thats because we can't afford four footitis
    So true! The difference in the cost to an alloy boat builder is negligible, really. A bit more time welding and a bit more in materials. A lot of times that extra material is cut off and scrapped from the original build. Of course they don't tell you that when you are talking about your build.

Cheers!

Can you imagine sitting down at a bar and starting a conversation about boat z's engine and having someone start talking about boat x's engine, and saying, "hey don't get off topic, this conversation is about my boat only."
    Not to get off topic or anything but I pretty much have to say that to my wife almost every time we're talking about something!!!

I find this "don't get off topic" curious, don't all conversations evolve ?

So here's a thread for anything and everything boating.

So HG what do you mean by close coupled? I know that a lot of boats in Cordova run diesels with jets, without transmissions, aren't they close coupled?

Captain T, Close coupled mean the engine is adapted to the jet using a hamilton close coupler kit. There's no driveshaft. This makes for a smaller engine package foot print. Many of your gas engines are close coupled. The reason no other diesel that I'm aware of has been able to close couple is because of the oil pan clearance between the intake housing. The FNM diesel crank center to bottom of oil pan distance allows clearance. Many diesels run a transmission to get the rpms needed to get the thrust. Some of the higher revving diesels coming out can run 1:1 without a problem but just require a driveshaft. The thing that must be considered is matching WOT/peak hp to the impeller size. You don't want to lug a diesel down by over pitching the impeller or prop. Things can go sower quick. Aspirated gas engines can lugged under WOT power. An example is a 330hp Chevy and a hamilton 2.4. The hamilton will hold the 350 back to ~4200rpm which is an actually only 250hp at the pump. Doesn't matter what engine you stick in front of the pump. If it only turns 4200 at WOT that's all you get. Attached are couple pic of the FNM close coupled. The distance from the transom to the front of the engine is 44" to give an idea how compact the hamilton installation is. When we installed this for the first time in a Boulton, he indicated it was 7" short then a standard 350 install and 100lbs lighter. I'll post a hamilton drawings next.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hamilton Coupler

Sorry couldn't post the hamilton drawing but here's a picture of what the close coupler engine mount and coupler look like. The centa coupler pictured mounts to a standard chevy flywheel adapter plate. In our application the coupler actually mounts directly to our flywheel. No adapter plates were needed. These are pics from Hamilton.

I just want to say that I have 4 footitis really bad right now...... And I think Wooldridge is about to be my Dr. of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Every time I pull up to the tunnel I just wish I wasn't so girthy

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Every time I pull up to the tunnel I just wish I wasn't so girthy

But that is just because you are such a cheap a s s !

Default Ecotec Design

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps
    According to this PDF, GM offered the 2.4 in 07......If its so "Enviormentally friendly" why hasnt GM had it EPA certified?

http://prod.gm.gmgssm.com/experience...400_Marine.pdf

Cost? or is there other reasons I am not aware of?
    I didn't want to be accused of high-jacking the ecotec thread so I figured I'd post an interesting observation on the ecotec design here on Everything Boating. In the brochure it apears GM is using a similar design that the europeans have been using with a twin over head cam and 4 valves per cylinder. Only difference is they are timing the cams separately with a chain. The cam housing is bolted to the head and injectors are mounted through the center of the cam housing and are easily accessible.

The FNM diesel use the same design only the cams are timed by meshed gearing. One cam is run off the crank via a toothed timing belt. Attached is a picture of the 5 cylinder cam housing showing cams and how they are using meshed gears.

Fullbush,

Are you over 10' and have to pay the $300 fee? The only guy I know that pays that without protest is Fishface. Someone needs to get them to change that to 10'6". Not that it matters to me. I just feel for all of my brothers with Osprey 30's and Seasport Voyagers. Fishface will need that extra money next summer too for babysitting money so he can get out of the house a few times.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    I didn't want to be accused of high-jacking the ecotec thread so I figured I'd post an interesting observation on the ecotec design here on Everything Boating. In the brochure it apears GM is using a similar design that the europeans have been using with a twin over head cam and 4 valves per cylinder. Only difference is they are timing the cams separately with a chain. The cam housing is bolted to the head and injectors are mounted through the center of the cam housing and are easily accessible.

The FNM diesel use the same design only the cams are timed by meshed gearing. One cam is run off the crank via a toothed timing belt. Attached is a picture of the 5 cylinder cam housing showing cams and how they are using meshed gears.
    How many hours is the belt good for in the FNM?

How many hours is the belt good for in the FNM?
    Recommended 1000 hour service change interval.