Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Brown Bear/ Deer Hunt 2010

Default Kodiak Brown Bear/ Deer Hunt 2010

Well I would first like to thank Andrew’s air for the exceptional service they provide. They were just as everyone had described. I have never received this kind of service from an air service as I have with them. They were there to cater to everything we needed, from lending us fuel cans to an early pickup.

The hunt started on the 5th of November. First, we were a party of five until my dad became ill before the trip and had to cancel. Our group now consisted of one of my best friends, his dad and stepmom and myself who are all avid hunters. We departed Andrew’s dock just after 2 o’clock in the afternoon with two beavers loaded to the brim with 15 pounds to spare. The destination was the south cabin on Fraser Lake. We had way more then we needed but knew we were going to have a luxurious ten days in the cabin. We arrived around three to relatively high winds and losing daylight fast with lots of gear to pack the 300 yards from the lake to the cabin.

Once the gear was up and we were settled in it was time to break into the crown royal for a celebration of the hunt to officially start the following day.

Our main goal was to fill the DB212 bear tag I had drawn while trying not to shoot too much and scare off any bears that might be in or around the valleys nearby the cabin. We split up into two groups for the majority of the hunt, myself and my friend in one group while his dad and stepmom hunted together for the majority of the trip hoping to take a Sitka Blacktail with her bow. My friend and I took off right at daybreak to look for a bear in the valley to the north of the cabin. We were a quarter mile from the cabin when we stumbled across a very nice buck. My buddy was looking to take one with his bow and this was the perfect opportunity for his first bow kill ever. We spotted him at 60 yards and hunkered down behind some alders so he could get his release and bow ready while I got the video camera ready. We popped up behind the alders and crepted to where we last saw him but he was gone. Then we heard him coming thru the alders about 15 yards in front of us….Amazingly enough he had walked right to us. He came out into the open and my buddy had made a beautiful shot and the buck ran about 70 yards and was done. I was so excited for him it was as if I had shot the buck myself. The best part was we got the whole thing on film….Worst part was we sounded like little school girls after he stuck him and yes that’s on film too, so no YouTube links . Spent the rest of the day caping and reliving our moment.

That night we walked up to the same knoll and sat looking for bears. Just before dark we spotted an approximate 8 to 8.5 footer about ¾ of a mile away in the meadows to the south of the cabin. We decided it was too late to try and get a closer look and headed back to the cabin and getting there right at dark.

The next morning we hiked up into the valley where we had seen the bear the night before. We sat on a knoll about halfway up the mountain and watched in the cold for hours. Saw lots of deer but weren’t interested in them at the time. Our partner’s were going to use the Zodiak we brought to look for deer along the lake but we hadn’t seen the boat on the lake yet. We were getting cold and bored after about 3 hours and decided to go see if they were going to use the boat because if not then we were going to. We made our way back to the lake and they were still there but fixing to head out across the lake in the boat after a deer they had seen. We told them to go ahead and we would hike to the north. They didn’t think they could make it up to where they had seen it and told us to go get it as we would have a better chance. We headed out across the lake in search of what I could tell was a doe. Got up to the ridge and spotted the doe. Our partners swore they saw a buck but I wasn’t convinced. The doe was 75 yards away, bedded down and just watching us. She could care less that we were there. I didn’t want a doe for my first deer so we just bs’ed and my buddy threw a chew in. We watched her for about 10 minutes not caring if she ran off. We looked for a buck in the alders but saw nothing. She eventually got up and walked slowly away. We turned around and were headed out when a buck jumped up that was bedded down between the doe and us. I was barely able to chamber a round and get a shot off as he was not a casual as her about our presence. I hit him in the back as he was running away and flattened his rear end. The second shot was right behind the ear and he was done. Nice buck I guess for my first one.

Initially I really wasn’t interested in deer as I have plenty of meat from this years hunts. After tasting Kodiak deer I am so glad I did. The stuff is fantastic! We loaded the meat up and took off across the lake. When we got back our partners met us on the beach and looked rather out of breath and excited. They told us they walked up to the hill where my buddy shot his buck and stumbled across a 7 to7.5 ft bear about 20 yards from them. Luckily the bear was more interested in the deer carcass now drug into the alders and casually walked over the hill. We went up to see if he was still there and to get a closer look but he was gone.

The next three days we saw quite a few deer but the only bears we saw were sows with cubs. We started to get discouraged and decided to just shoot any deer that walked out and maybe we would draw a bear in on there gut piles. Well just our luck the weather went to hell and the deer bedded down for pretty much the remainder of the trip. We saw almost no deer after the weather turned.

On day six we had a break in the weather and ventured back into the valley south of the cabin. This was the direction the 8-8.5 foot bear we saw on the first night went. We sat on the same hill I mentioned earlier and glassed for several hours but saw nothing not even a deer. Feeling discouraged we decided to hike across the valley and glass from there. With a new vantage point of the valley near a small lake and looked back further up the valley and around the corner. This new area we looked into looked like bear heaven. Picture perfect for a bear, we had to investigate. It was rough working our way around the edges of the lake as it had steep sides covered in alders with no trail. We finally made it and sat on a small ridge to glass the hillside. After about ten minutes my buddy spotted a bear on a hillside 600 yards away across a small open clearing. The bear was grazing against the edge of the alders and was clueless to our existence. This was the same bear we saw the first night. I really wanted a Kodiak brown bear and knew my chances at a 9 plus bear were fading day by day. My buddy said he was between 8 and 8.5 ft (nice to have a bear guide as a friend) which was good enough for me. The bear eventually disappeared into the alders. It was time for us to make a move if we were going to try and take him.

We crepted down to the clearing in the bottom of the valley and tried to imagine where he would surface again. I told my buddy that I didn’t want to shoot any further then 200 yards as I didn’t want to wound this bear and chase him through the alders. He was more then ok with this. We waited and waited for about thirty minutes for him to surface. We were worried that he winded us due to the wind being in his favor. About then the bear surfaced further up on the hillside but not where we thought he would be. He was in a clearing about ten yards long. My friend ranged him at 306 yards. I told him that was too far, he said we either take him now or we won’t get another chance. I repositioned my rifle and fired……….I have never seen an animal flatten the way he did. The 338 Win Mag, 250 Nosler Partitions flattened him like a pancake. I was cheering and my buddy thought he saw a movement from the bear and told me to put another round in him just to be sure as he has lost bears that he thought were dead. So I did, he argued with me all the way up there that I hit him in the head as he has never seen a bear fall that way. Needless to say I made a perfect heart shot and was more then proud of myself. We took some photos had some hi-fives and got to work.

The bear had slid down a steep hill into the alders which made for an interesting time skinning him out. Thank god for Wyoming saws. Loaded him on my back and started the 2.5 mile hike to the cabin (surprising how heavy the hide and head of a brown bear can be). Got there yet again just before dark.

The rest of the trip was fun but sadly we killed nothing else. We tried some fishing down at the F&G weir but a sow and her three cubs thought other wise and ran us out of her hole.

The only other buck we saw was about twenty yards on the other side of her just staring at us as if he knew we wouldn’t make a go at him. We came out a day early due to a break in the weather.

Went out and celebrated our wonderful trip several watering holes in Kodiak that night.

Needles to say I hadn’t gotten my B&C Trophy but I got a trophy in my book, he measured at 8ft 1” and had a 22” Skull. The biologist said he was between five and six years old. This was my first Brown Bear and my first Sitka Blacktail and I couldn’t be any happier. The only thing that could have made this trip better was if my dad could have been there with me.

Thanks for a wonderful story and pictures. Sounds like a perfect hunt for all. Congradulations are certainly in order. How did your Sitka gear hold up and function?

Sitka gear is some of the most amazing outerwear I have ever owned. Definitely pricy but when you get down to it how much would you pay when your out in the field cold and wet to be warm and dry. I plan on purchasing more gear from them in the future. Right now the jet stream jacket and cold front outer Jacket make a nice pair and the 90% pants and the storefront pants make an exceptional team.... I won't hunt without it from now on.

Super Cool Trip, and Story Slick,

Congrats Big Time, Nice Bucks, Nice Bear, Nice Shot, .............all around congrats

All the pics posted for us to see are great too, What a Country over there.
    So, did I get it right you were out there for nine days?
    Man, that'll be some memories for a long time.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good work, good hunting, good friends.......it's all good.

That bear looks fine and you'll not have trouble getting that rug on the wall. The color is cool too.

Those are good Sitka bucks as well. You made a good call hauling out all that meat.

The cabin looks luxurious. Congrats all around.

Great Job!...fantastic trip and story

Thanks for sharing
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Great write up and nice pics.Looks like you all had some fun,I can't wait to go back to that island again next year.

Nice job Slick. Great pics, great story. Beauty of a bear and some nice looking blacktails as well. Awesome that you buddy was able to bag a buck with a deer. Congrats to you both on a trip to remember for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Nice job Slick. Great pics, great story. Beauty of a bear and some nice looking blacktails as well. Awesome that you buddy was able to bag a buck with a deer. Congrats to you both on a trip to remember for sure!!
    Lukester, thanks for the help putting the story together. Let's keep the whole buck with a deer comment to a minimum or there gonna want to see the video too.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Lukester, thanks for the help putting the story together. Let's keep the whole buck with a deer comment to a minimum or there gonna want to see the video too.....lol
    Ok, I'm First, shoot, I gave Lanche plenty of time to see that....
    here's my only comment...

"So, What you guys figured some way to make money with Deer, is that legal ??......"

Ok, couldn't resist, back to the thread,
    "Nice Job with the Bow by the way, on that Buck, to your buddy..."
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Man, that sounds like one fun hunt. The cabin looks like a very comfortable stay after a hard day of hiking and glassing. Thats a pretty unique rack that one deer had, with the additional tine coming out of the front of the rack. Congrats

You did a great job on the video could have had a close up but its great you got the shot you should post it here.. Nice bear too

Wink Dinner Bell

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Our main goal was to fill the DB212 bear tag I had drawn while trying not to shoot too much and scare off any bears that might be in or around the valleys nearby the cabin.
    Heck Slickster, didn't you know shooting at deer on Kodiak is like ringing a dinner bell and the bears come running? You want the really big ones, you gotta promise them deer for dinner!

Nice hunt!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Great write up with awesome photos, really captured the hunt. Congrats on a beautiful bear and a couple great bucks. Well done Sir!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Ok, I'm First, shoot, I gave Lanche plenty of time to see that....
    here's my only comment...

"So, What you guys figured some way to make money with Deer, is that legal ??......"

Ok, couldn't resist, back to the thread,
    "Nice Job with the Bow by the way, on that Buck, to your buddy..."
    HAHA....nah I was trying to play it off as a typo. Being as I work with Slick I got a chance to watch the video in which in the excitment of the moment the phrase of "shooting a buck with a deer" was said at some point. Can't say I can blame them though as I would be pretty darned excited too.

Also introduced him to the world of photobucket so we all don't have to click on each picture and wait for it to load in order to enjoy some of these great pics.

Good One Lanche, You guys really put together a nice hunt story, for sure.
    for photobucket, that does take some time to get together, makes for a nice read.

Wishin' I was there,............ C'mon now, Draw Baby, Draw..... Spring 2012 for me?

Got any more pics of that Stag Buck with the cool "Dagger Tine?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast