Thread: Jet Boat on the Sheep River?

Default Jet Boat on the Sheep River?

Curious if anyone has been very far up the sheep river. I made it about 12 miles up from its confluence wth the Talkeetna last year, but it started to get hairy and I was low on fuel.

I'm looking to get access to a spot about 25 miles up.... not sure if it's doable in a jetboat ?

we've been up a ways in a Jetboat a few times...can't remember how many miles, probably not much further than you...it was gaining some elevation and the small boulders were getting plentiful...we turned around because we had no real destination, just out dinking around but we didn't see anything that would make it not doable in a jetboat...I hear the airboats push up in that area with relative ease...I'm up for checking it out in the spring if you want to make a run...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I've been up about 8 miles a few times with a canoe or little jon boat and a mud motor. It was a slow go. I parked my North River at the mouth and off loaded the little boats. I wouldn't run a jet up there very often. The river is flowing sand. My sand trap filled up every time I went more that 200 yards upstream. Be careful stepping out of your boat if you get stuck. You may take one step on solid sand and then sink to your crotch on the next. I think there is less sand farther up but the rocks get bigger.

12 miles up is right at that first serious canyon and it narrows down something tight. I don't know anyone that's gone beyond that, but then again I don't know everyone. Lots of rocks above that notch. I've only looked at it close from the air.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Where I turned around it was starting to neck down a little and pick up some elevation... the main problem was sliding sideways into rocks and logs while trying to make the turns in shallow channels. I'm up for giving it a shot next spring though.

I have heard that there are some class 5 rapids toward the headwaters.... don't need to go near that far.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Mind if I ask what boats you guys are running? TJM, you must have been in you XS. Is there much water in the lower 5-ish miles, such that it would still be runable this time of year (Talkeetna at 5,000)? The lower part doesn't look too rocky. I'm in a 19-ft jetcraft w/sportjet. It will go shallow....when I'm moving! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Crowbar View Post
    Where I turned around it was starting to neck down a little and pick up some elevation... the main problem was sliding sideways into rocks and logs while trying to make the turns in shallow channels. I'm up for giving it a shot next spring though.

I have heard that there are some class 5 rapids toward the headwaters.... don't need to go near that far.