Thread: Easy to make shower

Default Easy to make shower

Here is the shower I use in my cabin. If you need a shower out in the bush in your cabin or tent, this works great. It is a 28lb laundry soap container which I cut a hole and put an outdoor spicket through. On the inside, I put a nut on to tighten it up and then caulked all around it inside and out. As a matter of fact Gorilla glue works just fine. Then I took a sprinkler off a watering can and clamped it on the spicket. I heat the water on my stove, water down, soap up and rinse off. You get a great shower.IMG_2679.jpg

Is it convertible for use with the toilet paper?

Maybe it's also a bidet.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

This was the first incarnation of my shower. It didn't quite work though as I had the camp shower bag hanging from the copper tubing...until I filled it up and tried it hahaha. So now I have a big hook in the ceiling to hang it from. Of course, I have to get on a stool to reach high enough to hang it up. Tuck the curtain in, and presto, nice hot shower.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Screw all that crap! I'll go home every 2 or 3 months for a real shower.................lol
    Hell, I didn't go into the woods to impress anyone anyway, so why should I care what I smell like coming out.....
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

A buddy of mine made on in his cabin out near Big lake which was the most unique I have seen. The water was heated through 3/8" soft copper pipe wrapped about 15 times around the stack off his wood stove. The water went up (by convection) to a holding tank on the second floor and was piped over above the shower which was on the first floor. The pipe had a valve to turn the water on and off and poured directly in to a cast iron frying pan that was suspended over the shower and had about 50 - 3/16" holes drilled in it. Worked quite well and was a conversation piece for sure.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    A buddy of mine made on in his cabin out near Big lake which was the most unique I have seen. The water was heated through 3/8" soft copper pipe wrapped about 15 times around the stack off his wood stove. The water went up (by convection) to a holding tank on the second floor and was piped over above the shower which was on the first floor. The pipe had a valve to turn the water on and off and poured directly in to a cast iron frying pan that was suspended over the shower and had about 50 - 3/16" holes drilled in it. Worked quite well and was a conversation piece for sure.
    Good idea AK, but have ya priced copper lately? Cheaper to drill a well and buy a hot water heater for the long run.......lol
    I ain't knockin ideas, but you can buy portable propane showers pretty cheap now days. I would think if your serious about being mister tidy bowl guy in the woods, you'd just go that route, or say screw it and take a bath when the grizzlies say your to stinky to be in their presence anymore.....

I have lived in the BUSH all my life. I like to live as simple as I can. That's why, I haul water, Have an outhouse and on those real cold late night, I whiz in a gallon milk jug and crap in a plastic bagged bucket and cover it with ashes from the woodstove to kill the smell. Put it outside and it freezes. When full, burn it with the garbage. I light my cabin with oil lamps. I hate having wiring, plumbing or anything else that needs maintanance.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    I have lived in the BUSH all my life. I like to live as simple as I can. That's why, I haul water, Have an outhouse and on those real cold late night, I whiz in a gallon milk jug and crap in a plastic bagged bucket and cover it with ashes from the woodstove to kill the smell. Put it outside and it freezes. When full, burn it with the garbage. I light my cabin with oil lamps. I hate having wiring, plumbing or anything else that needs maintanance.
    As you said above. Now that's what i call livin. I did it that way for 1 1/2 years in Northern MN before I moved here. All of the above, cept had a shower house 3 miles away to use when I couldn't stand myself no longer...........lol
    Oh ya, quit trying to impress the ladies 15 years ago, so who gives a crap....

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Screw all that crap! I'll go home every 2 or 3 months for a real shower.................lol
    Hell, I didn't go into the woods to impress anyone anyway, so why should I care what I smell like coming out.....
    Well mine isn't for the occassional trip into the woods. This is the way we live full time. My employers especially (pregnant women and women in labor) don't appriciate "mountain man woods stink". My kids go to public schools in town as well, so yea, regular hygiene is pretty neccessary.

To each their own. My mom and dad always told us kids, just because we live primative doesn't mean we have to be dirty.

Clever, thanks for not posting "action shots."

Heh, I'm sure I'd enjoy a couple of action shots.

Good idea AK, but have ya priced copper lately?
    I got my little piece for free from the transfer site. It was just sitting there so shiny, I knew I'd find a use for it...

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Here is the shower I use in my cabin. If you need a shower out in the bush in your cabin or tent, this works great. It is a 28lb laundry soap container which I cut a hole and put an outdoor spicket through. On the inside, I put a nut on to tighten it up and then caulked all around it inside and out. As a matter of fact Gorilla glue works just fine. Then I took a sprinkler off a watering can and clamped it on the spicket. I heat the water on my stove, water down, soap up and rinse off. You get a great shower.IMG_2679.jpg
    So do you have a loft or a shelf that you set this on?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    So do you have a loft or a shelf that you set this on?

Nope, I put a small shower room in and I have a hook in the ceiling I hang it on. Then, it drains underneath the cabin.

Ok thanks. Oh I'd love to have a drain. I will when I get my own cabin.