Thread: Best SUV make for Fairbanks?

Question Best SUV make for Fairbanks?

OK, my wife and I have a 2010 Honda CRV that we just found out may not start in cold weather, it is a design flaw! The day it did not want to start was about 30 degrees Farenheit, so actually quite warm! So, we are looking maybe at the Jeep brand or such when we get up there. What do ya'll drive up there? Thoughts, recommendations? Thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we like big trucks a lot...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I love my Dodge. The Cummins gets 22-23 mpg in the summer and 17 in 4 wheel drive in the winter. Starts great to -20. Never tried when it was colder.

Before you buy, ask about dealer support!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

My wife bought a hyndai santa fa.... It's currently sitting frozen outside at -30.. We also have a Ford Expedition EL and has been trouble free.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Toyota 4 Runners are popular as are the 4 wheel drive Subaru's. I prefer 4 wheel drive and use winter tires as well.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I believe that Drifter016 runs a Honda. He is in Yellowknife and hasn't complained. What makes you believe that your Honda will be hard to start?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    My wife bought a hyndai santa fa.... It's currently sitting frozen outside at -30.. We also have a Ford Expedition EL and has been trouble free.
    well you know the difference tween a big american made and a rice rocket right...

@ - 40 the big one is...

W.......ump, w....ump, w..ump, WUMP WUMP >> RMMMMMMMMMM !

the the rice rocket is ...

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNNnnnnnNNNNNnnnnnNNNNNnnnnnNN NNNnnnnnNnNNNNNnnnnnnnsoooosorry!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Jeep all the way it is all I have ever owned and will probably ever own!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Jeep all the way it is all I have ever owned and will probably ever own!
    Love my Jeep, but the old CJ gets parked for the winters, the heater and short wheel base are just not up to our winters.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Love my Jeep, but the old CJ gets parked for the winters, the heater and short wheel base are just not up to our winters.

come on now... a pic of the truck.. I know you have 1!

meet on face book here

Alaskan SUV's come with 4 full sized doors, an 8 foot bed and drink Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    OK, my wife and I have a 2010 Honda CRV that we just found out may not start in cold weather, it is a design flaw! The day it did not want to start was about 30 degrees Farenheit, so actually quite warm! So, we are looking maybe at the Jeep brand or such when we get up there. What do ya'll drive up there? Thoughts, recommendations? Thanks!
    I like Jeep's I own a Jeep Laredo and it does very well on ice an snow, however you know the saying with Jeep's (Just empty every Pocket) the repairs are expensive and atleast my luck with two jeeps they happen often.

I recommend you look for one of the better fuel economical SUV's/Pickup's that will accommodate your desires, family size, usages, etc. Gas prices in Fairbanks are 3.55 per gallon. I couldn't tell you what diesel is going for right now if interested in a pickup.

Also, I recommend buying in the lower 48 as you will save some money in the long run. Vehicle prices are high, there is very little competition, and the dealerships are not willing to negotiate much on the sticker price. The roads up here will take a toll on your vehicle as they are not the best maintained or most improved surface for regular driving. Consider an SUV that you are not afraid to put some wear and tear on over the duration of a few years basically stating that reliability should be a big factor. You don't want to break down and be stranded when it is -35 degrees similar to the temps we experienced this past week.

Bgarcher

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I believe that Drifter016 runs a Honda. He is in Yellowknife and hasn't complained. What makes you believe that your Honda will be hard to start?
    We had a day at 30 degrees above that the CRV would not hardly start. We looked up online and have found many complaints about that model doing that...

What is "not hardly start". Was it cranking slow..replace the battery with a more powerful one. My parents and my buddy's mother in law own one and I've seen them out and about at -20F
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

It was strange, the engine just would not turn over, it was just click click. Finally it did start luckily. I think we have a lemon....

Dodge starts hard past -20, as do most chrysler products. Ford and GM do well in cold starts, but you should be plugged in past about 5-10 below. The bigger question is the heater. A general rule is the bigger the engine the better the heat, but that is only a general rule. I have marketed, advertised and sold cars up here for the past ten years I know almost every dealer and sales manager in fairbanks very well and will gladly give what advice I can, including how various dealers will treat you. Feel free to pm me any questions

Andrew

Disclaimer... I do currently work for a dealer in town, and if someone wanted to buy from that dealer I would happily assist them. But my advise is not tied to that in any way. My reputation is worth far too much in this small town to do business that way. I can recommend good dealers and sales people at many locations and will happily do so
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Hunteriam, some vehicles have problems with the starter itself in the cold, and plugging it in will not help with that, alot of small suv/cuv's have this issue. A heat lamp like a brooder uses will help with that, just slide it under the front of the car aimed at the starter usually only takes about 45 mins.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    Hunteriam, some vehicles have problems with the starter itself in the cold, and plugging it in will not help with that, alot of small suv/cuv's have this issue. A heat lamp like a brooder uses will help with that, just slide it under the front of the car aimed at the starter usually only takes about 45 mins.
    Great information! We will definately have some questions in the future when we get up there. We are quite excited to get there eventually and everyone are so helpful! Thank you all!