Thread: How BEST do I sell old & rare hunting Books.........?

Default How BEST do I sell old & rare hunting Books.........?

I have a lot of very old books about hunting from 1870 (Wild Beasts and their Ways by: Samual Baker) to some autographed books by Fredrick Courtney Selous. Most are first or second editions of early hunters in Africa, Alaska, India. Is there a website that would give a price range...?

Start by going to Abe books and punch in the title and author of your book and compare the prices of books pulled up to yours. Then I'd find a rare book dealer in town (Alaskana books in the valley), if they can't put a price on it they'll know someone who can. As you probably know scarcity and condition=$$$$. Be honest in your evaluation of the condition, most folks tend to over value "their" books condition and corresponding price(value). You won't get top dollar from a dealer as the've gotta make a buck r two so Ebay is an option with a fair reserve, a table at a gun show is a good place to sell books too.

Also try to get ahold of Theodore Holsten (MN). We lost one of the best in the book collecting industry in Gene Bryner.

Hope this helps-

Thanks........Roughly what percentage would a book dealer take.........?

My kind of books so give us local boys a shot when you figure out the prices
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Brian M. is there a way to market old books on the forum......? And the forum would get a cut.......?

This gal has always been fair with me both buying and selling plus she will talk to you.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/gunnerman.htm
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    This gal has always been fair with me both buying and selling plus she will talk to you.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/gunnerman.htm
    Thanks, I need to haul my butt into Los Anchorage and inventory those books and sell some of them.

I wonder how one would price autographed F.C. Selous book.........?

Talk to Walter Earl at the Antique Gallery down town......but first talk to me. I love to improve my library. I might take a couple off of your hands.

Brett

cell 330-429-2762
    office 907-276-6325

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Talk to Walter Earl at the Antique Gallery down town......but first talk to me. I love to improve my library. I might take a couple off of your hands.

Brett

cell 330-429-2762
    office 907-276-6325

Walter would pay 40% of retail. I would burn them first. I would like to sell them here through this forum. I need to see what works for the forum owner.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Gotta know hopes language...

give ya one brick of 22lr for all of them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

give ya one brick of 22lr for all of them...

Thanks But I have about 72 bricks of .22LR & and 12 bricks of .22Mag. so I am good. Some of these books were $350.00 thirty years ago. But thanks for the Offer.

Default On line price check

I buy a lot of my old African or Alaskan safari books at http://www.alibris.com/ .
    Enter the name and author and you should see a list of prices depending on a variety of conditions.
    I agree, get an accurate price and give us something to read this winter!

OK, I just checked for "Wild Beasts and their Ways by: Samual Baker" and nothing came up.
    Searching "Wild Beasts and Their Ways" and they show many, priced from $16 - $170. Check it out and see if yours is comparable or better than offered and you can get a good idea of value.

Then remember the forum discount!
    Last edited by bullbuster; 12-03-2010 at 20:09. Reason: update
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

You've been given good advice on where to get values for the books. Simply typing the titles into google will probably yield information in that regard as well. Once you decide what you are willing to sell them for either post them in the ODD classifieds or on Accuratereloading. If they're decent titles and you price them well they will move. I recently sold a couple of thousand in books on Accuratereloading. I kept all of my Alaska stuff including my first edition Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost, To Far Western Alaska for Big Game, Sheep and Bear Trails, etc.

Pricing provided by the antique dealer in downtown Anchorage mentioned earlier in this thread will leave you with a gaping, painful sensation in your posterior that is best avoided.

F.C. Selous a true war hero at a age he could have been sipping tea on the veranda

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    F.C. Selous a true war hero at a age he could have been sipping tea on the veranda
    I have 5 of his books, but only one is autographed. His first book is the best In my opinion.

That would be great if you are able to sell them on this forum! I would certainly be interested in what you have. Sounds like some real treasures.

Would Walter sell them on consignment? Seriously call me or message me what you have. I'm interested.

Brett

Joe saw this thead after the other. Tied to pm put said your full and I sent a email but not sure if it went through. Please PM me or call 910-381-8363.