Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Best Cell Phone Provider in Fairbanks?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks in the future...
    Posts
    323

    Question Best Cell Phone Provider in Fairbanks?

    We have Verizon right now but our company wants us to change to Sprint or AT&T. Thoughts? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member Bgarcher44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    106

    Default

    We brought a Verizon phone up here and added Canada onto our plan for the drive up in case of emergency. Once we crossed the border from Montana, the phone switched to roaming and stayed that way the entire time. We drove all over/around Fairbanks after our arrival and were still roaming so we cancelled the plan and picked up an AT&T plan. I wasn't able to track down any Verizon providers up here and was told there were no Verizon towers in this area. If you are looking to get a new plan, the two major cell phone providers around Fairbanks are AT&T or GCI.

    I see you are planning for a move up here next year, I just completed the move 2 months ago and would be happy to help out in any way.

    Bgarcher

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    I use AT&T because I'm addicted to my Iphone, decent coverage and 3G in most of Fairbanks. ACS has the best network IMHO, they have towers that will provide service out in PWS.

    Good luck and welcome.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    ACS hands down. we have 27 cell phones.. all acs around the state
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ACS hands down. we have 27 cell phones.. all acs around the state
    Does ACS=Alsska Cell Service or something like that. We have AT&T and when I was up last May worked fairly well. But on the property I bought it didn't. I had to get back on top of haystack with a line of sight to Fairbanks to get service. Could be a problem till I get a hard line phone at the house.

  6. #6
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter4361 View Post
    Does ACS=Alsska Cell Service or something like that. We have AT&T and when I was up last May worked fairly well. But on the property I bought it didn't. I had to get back on top of haystack with a line of sight to Fairbanks to get service. Could be a problem till I get a hard line phone at the house.


    http://www.alaskacommunications.com/

    get a good cell phone... the cheaper the phone the worse it will work.. period

    second.. for house line out on haystack you will have to deal with Cleary summit telephone co...

    LOL, what a joke they are .. expenive, crappy equipment, no service, and long distance to everywhere even fairbanks.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks in the future...
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Thankyou all for the great help! This forum and its peeps rule!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    http://www.alaskacommunications.com/

    get a good cell phone... the cheaper the phone the worse it will work.. period

    second.. for house line out on haystack you will have to deal with Cleary summit telephone co...

    LOL, what a joke they are .. expenive, crappy equipment, no service, and long distance to everywhere even fairbanks.
    Wow glad I found that out ahead of time. Just figured with everyone have cell phones now days land lines where cheap everywhere. When i got rid of the home phone here, because noone ever called me on it we only were paying $19 a month. Will look into ACS. Thanks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •