Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musty old hunting novels of the Kenai Peninsula

Default Musty old hunting novels of the Kenai Peninsula

Long ago out of print and somewhat difficult to find as there is competition among collectors for old classic hunting novels...

One of my favorites is Big Game Shooting in Alaska by Radclyffe published in 1904. Most of the early hunting novels covered wide areas in Alaska, but the ones I'm sharing will have at least part of them written about the Kenai Peninsula.

Some of them are now showing up online. If you are interested in early Peninsula history and hunting and guides...about the way we were...I recommend you download a copy to read to your desktop and you will have old photos to collect too.

http://www.archive.org/details/bigga...ingi00radcrich

biggameshootinginalaska.JPG

American Big Game in its Haunts by George Bird Grinnell published in 1904. The Kenai Peninsula hunt begins on page 177.

http://www.archive.org/details/americanbiggamei00grin

americanbiggameinitshaunts.JPG

I'm not seeing how to download it TL.

I was thinking of you when I started this thread cause I know you like this kind of stuff.

On the left side of the link click on B/W PDF and then save.

Safari Press has reprinted it. It is very good. It should be read with To Far Western Alaska by T.R. Hubback. Sheep hunting with a 450 NE Hollis Double Rifle and getting 41 incher in Western Alaska Range.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Yeah thats a good one too...unfortunately I can't find an online copy to link to.

farwesternalaska.JPG

What is the best way to sell those books.......? If someone had a lot of them......?

Thanks for sharing the links tustumena lake!

Ebay sometimes fetches good prices for collectible novels. But the titles have to be kinda rare and in demand by a small group that are looking for a particular title. If you were selling them on ebay i would put a minimum price on the book just to make sure you didn't give it away too far under its value on a bad day. Other than that there are rare and antiquarian book sellers that might buy an entire collection for resale. Still I'm thinking ebay might be the way to go, but maybe there are other ideas on that out there.

Yes, I think I start another thread, these are 1870 to 1930 Africa, India, Alaska

Hunting in the Arctic and Alaska by E. Marshall Scull published in 1915. A true classic, the Kenai hunt begins on page 197.

Highlight download, then select Download PFD and save to desktop
    http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/i...ge/11/mode/1up

When I read this book I noticed it mentioned a guy named Kleinschmidt taking motion pictures of the trip. Kleinshcmidt was an early captain that worked Cook Inlet waters. So I went online and sluethed until I found the film in a film museum in the Netherlands as I recall. I negotiated for a VHS tape copy of the film, its pretty cool.

huntinginthearcticandalaska.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yes, I think I start another thread, these are 1870 to 1930 Africa, India, Alaska
    That would be valuable my friend.

if you have Summer and Fall in Western Alaska 1903 shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    That would be valuable my friend.

if you have Summer and Fall in Western Alaska 1903 shoot me a PM.
    I don't know what I have but I have both of the first two books of this thread. I think the oldest is Samual Bakers "Wild Beasts and there Ways"

The Journal of a Sporting Nomad by J.T. Studley published 1912. Mostly Africa but a few sections on Kasilof and Kenai. Good description of the Kasilof cannery operation.

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/62787
    Download PDF

thejournalofasportingnomad.JPG

Many of Annabel's storys take place on the KP. All have been reprinted by Safari Press.
    "The Wilderness Called Denali" by Charles Shelden is another good one.
    Not to nit-pick, but I don't think were talking "novels", here.
    Gary

Trails and Tramps in Alaska and Newfoundland by William Thomas published 1913. Well written.

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/89138

Southeastern, Kodiak, Kenai Peninsula

trailsandtramps.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Many of Annabel's storys take place on the KP. All have been reprinted by Safari Press.
    "The Wilderness Called Denali" by Charles Shelden is another good one.
    Not to nit-pick, but I don't think were talking "novels", here.
    Gary
    Yeah you're right, I should have paid more attention in English class.

Having read most of those old books, one thing struck me as different than today. They felt it was unsporting to shoot an animal that would not charge. They expected the huge Brown Bears to behave like Lions or Tigers when pushed. They considered the Alaskan Brown Bear a Coward.

Great post! I eat this stuff up and have a growing library of like books in paper too

I collect the old books, but not all of them about hunting....
    and have some interesting 'Stuff"
    Several are assayers reports as well as govornment survayers repots from guys who walked all over up this way...
    I have a signed copy of G.B. Grinnels Alaska report,(audobon society stuff when he set that up) as well as his Cousin Joseph Grinnells "Gold hunting in Alaska" (1901), also with a hand written introduction signed by his(Joes) mother..

I find J.Grinnells personal diary the most interesting as he was "here" on Kobuk River and around the Kotzebue sound, as well, we went to Hunt River three summers ago and located the "Camp" where JG and his Gold seeking party built to winter over in 1899.

As well, I have several original "Revenue Cutter" (Corwin) reports, with the original maps made of Kobuk River an d the Noatak , made during the 1884 trip of the Corwin to Kotzebue sound, (printed 1885), 1881, 1883 ,1884 , 1885 to 1899.
    The way trips these guys took to make the maps is what good adventures are made of, and theres several personal desrciptions in there that are simply mesmerizing ........

Then I have two diarys of Guys that were here in the late 1880's after fur and Whales.
    I use these, more like the info inside, to find the historical (to me) places and go to 'em.

The original "Indiana Jones" had to be Luis Giddings, an Adventure archeologist here in the 40's who was all over the place up this way, who invented Tree decromitry (ageing/cross ageing archeological sites with tree ring info) and that guy didi it by the seat of his pants with excellent books resulting untill he died inna car wreck in the 50's

I get 'em of Amazon, and through other sources.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast