Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News from Ruger

Default News from Ruger

We will no longer be makeing the Alaskan 454casull
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Where did you read this?

Talked to Ruger.The 454 in the other SRH's is still being made so parts will not be a problem
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That stinks. They will probably push .460 in it's place instead I would think...

For grins I just talked to a different rep and he said they are not on the discontinued list he has but they have not made a run in a while and nothing showing when a next run might take place.

Ruger is not discontinuing the Alaskan 454

I had one and sold it. I liked it but it wasn't much fun to shoot. I would have liked it a lot more if it had a 4" barrel. I know it has it's purpose and I'm sure they had that in mind when they attached that snubby on the front...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I had one and sold it. I liked it but it wasn't much fun to shoot. I would have liked it a lot more if it had a 4" barrel. I know it has it's purpose and I'm sure they had that in mind when they attached that snubby on the front...
    Ya, like this...

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/..._Super_Redhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Is that yours Snyd? I've been eyeing that for some time (454 version), can't seem to justify the $$ YET

No, I wish... that's a pic off Bowens website. That's why I posted the link. Ive been drooling over this conversion for a while. 454 as well. But, I'm still on the hunt for a 454 SRH Cylinder to drop in my 4" Redhawk.

I have never had much use for a heavy pistol w/ a snubbie. It doesn't reduce much weight and won't make it that much faster to bring into action but does reduce accuracy and velocity. If you are bearanoid of just like big bore revolvers that 4" is about perfect. I will stick with the 10mm or perhaps a scandium 44 to lose some more weight. If/when I go to something bigger it will probably be in a blackhawk/BFR/FFA w/ a ~6" barrel and I will leave the rifle home when hunting w/ it.

I like it because it fits in a back pocket,if they made it in a 4" thats what I've have.

I ordered 6 of those in the last day or so along with some Redhawks and other guns direct from Ruger yesterday and Randell didn't say a word about it. Since we talked about when I need them I don't think they are discontinuing any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I sure do, looks great, glad there isn't one down here, not sure I could resist...

Wouldn't suprise me if the stopped the 454, the SW 460/500 is only a bit more cash (relatively), the 460 can run 454s in it and a 4 (or 6") bbl with brake, much better package IMHO. Knowing Rugers history of copying I would not be suprised if they have a 460 XVR clone in the works for around $800. Hope they do. Anyone taking any bets.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Wouldn't suprise me if the stopped the 454, the SW 460/500 is only a bit more cash (relatively), the 460 can run 454s in it and a 4 (or 6") bbl with brake, much better package IMHO. Knowing Rugers history of copying I would not be suprised if they have a 460 XVR clone in the works for around $800. Hope they do. Anyone taking any bets.
    I believe they would have to make the frame opening longer.

I have wanted for some time that Ruger would make a 5-shot Super Redhawk with the frame lengthened for a cylinder to fit a cartridge just a little longer than the 500 S&W. They could call it the "500 Bill" and one-up S&W for having the most powerful production double action revolver.

Putting a Dan Wesson-style interchangeable barrel on it would not hurt, either.

Lost Sheep

The big problem for Ruger is with all the ones out there in just a few years less than half are in the hands of the first buyer so there is a bit of a used gut out there. Also insted of buying a $900.00 Alaskan you can buy a $500.00 or less SRH and lop the barrel off and screw on a sight at home. Doing it that way you can mount you aim point if wanted or even a scope.Lots of SRH being chopped out there be it 3" or 4" even 5". Does anyone have a Alaskan with a 2010 ser# I believe not.

Having just got the report from my brother that works at Rugers here in Newport, NH= He said that he hasn't seen any .454 Alaskans come through the production line in a pretty long time. After they get tumbled he said they then come to his department for washing which another lady usually does them or he fills in on that job sometimes. He is going to look into it tomorrow and see if they are stopping production.....i'll report back asap.

I wanted one and also want a .416 Hawkeye Alaskan.... We'll see when he gets me the paperwork going for me=So i can get a gun at Employee discount pricing= 1/2 off list $$$. Hopefully they haven't discontinued the .454 Alaskan as i have bought 3 boxes of bullets for the .454 hoping to get one someday.

Here is my SRH 454, Mag-Na-Port, 4.75 in barrel, trigger job, bobed hammer
    Attached Images Attached Images

The word is that Ruger is still making the Super Redhawk in .454 Casull Alaskan. They are listed in the 2011 catalog and a few weeks ago i gave my brother the paperwork to hand in so i can get myself one at employee pricing. Hopefully he hasn't spent the $520.30 cash i handed him on a drinking binge= LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast