Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foxpro Spitfire

Default Foxpro Spitfire

Just ordered my new spitfire!! I'm pretty darn excited about the whole deal. It only holds 24 customized sounds compared to the 200 or so that the higher end models will hold, but really, I doubt I'll have use for many more than the spitfire offers. But if I do need more sounds, I can just order another memory card from foxpro. I'm going to be spending a LOT of time in December and January calling critters. Hopefully I can make a few bucks in fur this winter.

I just got mine in the mail 2 days ago! It is a really small unit, but the sound and volume is great. I am chomping at the bit to get out there and see what it will do! This weekend doesn't look great....maybe Monday though!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Mine is "In Transit" as I write, a day or two more,..... Maybe Today?
    Got a fresh dusting of snow yesterday, perfect hunting weather,....now raining hard on it,......
    but can't wait to start the screaming in the woods

I found the 24 sounds a pretty good number also, by the time I had 24 picked out, Man it seems I have all I need.
    When we get them up and running I'd love to see some threads on what sounds are working best.
    Anyone Game, for sharing best Foxpro call sounds? by PM maybe?

Also reading all I can on the duration of the call, vs. waiting for response, vs. moving to another set.... have a lot to learn, gonna be a blast

With my Spitfire out there, now I don't have to worry about the Brown Bear coming over the backside of my blind so much.....
    Time to go Pred Hunting, smaller sizes preferred
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

MInes in transite as well!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Might look into a speaker for it with some wind they are not that loud but they work great on calm days

I think my brother and I are ordering the CS-24 from Foxpro within a couple of days. I was going to go with the spitfire, but since we're splitting the cost, he talked me into the more expensive option. Should be a fun January and February!

lab_man,
    I think you can just buy another Micro SD card and order FoxPro sounds online. Then, just load those sounds onto your card and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulawa View Post
    Might look into a speaker for it with some wind they are not that loud but they work great on calm days
    The spitfire doesn't come with a speaker?

I have a Spitfire, so does a friend of mine. We've been using them recently and calling in A LOT of fox with them. Numbers have dropped since everyone started trapping out here, but they were/are very effective. There's no need to buy an additional speaker, these calls are LOUD. My only complaint is that there's a big jump in volume from level 4 to level 5. Level 5 is very loud, I'm impressed that little speaker can handle it. As for sounds, you can go on Foxpro and buy a new SD card. 16 sounds for $25. Or, you can buy the stuff to change the sounds on the card that comes with the caller. Wait times definitely vary, but when fox were plentiful there was usually one standing over the caller within a minute or so. We give it about 30 minutes, running the call at 5-10 minutes sessions during that time. Of the 20+ we called in, there were only 2 that took longer than 5 minutes to get to the call, but those 2 took quite some time. I think cats are going to be a different story. Probably going to have longer run and set times for those. 45-75 minutes I'm thinking.

Default The Best Part?

Labman's new Spitfire is coming to my house. Hmm. What else is there to do but test it for him? I'd hate for him to get home and find it doesn't work. Right guys?
    Hey, keep in mind, that even though he has not "asked", I got a feeling at least one of my guns will be in his lap while he is using the Spitfire. Fair is fair.

Tailwind,
    The Spirfire has a built in speaker. They were referring to an additional, larger external speaker that you can plug in. For most calling, the Spitfire's built in speaker will work find. If you're hunting in nasty wind most of the time, an external could be handy.

Orelk6x6,
    Sounds like you have a ton of Fox in your neck of the woods. Good job on the success!!! All cat's I've seen called came in within 15 minutes. I play it loud and non-stop if I'm in cat country. That's just me though, other methods work too.

Package from allpredatorcalls.com, in the mail today,.... Really liking the sound of those calls,

So, anyone using the Raven, Crow or Magpie sounds with success? I'm going to be targeting primarily Fox, and have watched the Bald Eagles literally sitting in wait over rabbit thickets... So was thinking this may have an effect on a Fox motivation to come running into a dying Hare
    So had them load up everything smaller that are prevalent on Kodiak, Squirrel, and Birds just to see,

Should get to try it out far off the road soon, I'll be back with some learning curve,
    Thanks to the experienced guys for all the tips
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'll start off with a dying rabbit many times and then after a few minutes go into some ravens. It'll almost always draw in some ravens, no matter where I'm at. I've had ravens come in from who knows where to check out what they thought were their buddies feasting on a dying rabbit. I think it's a confidence builder for predators and something totally natural to them. Good luck with the new caller when it arrives, post some photos of critters with it.

Always thought that bird sounds would be a good confidence builder until I started to see coyotes hanging up when there were actual dumpster divers circling or hopping around the decoy. I guess they are worried about getting pecked at. **** birds or wimpy coyotes.

Not to derail the thread, but as someone who would like to get inot calling, is mouth calls out of the question. I understand that fish may get a phd in viewing flys, but is the right sound in calling that important or can a guy with a mouth call and a recurve hope to connect? I envy those of you that have them, but can't a guy go hunting without spending more than time on the effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but as someone who would like to get inot calling, is mouth calls out of the question. I understand that fish may get a phd in viewing flys, but is the right sound in calling that important or can a guy with a mouth call and a recurve hope to connect? I envy those of you that have them, but can't a guy go hunting without spending more than time on the effort?
    We don't have as many predators as down south but you can certainly hunt with anything you want and do it as much as you want. The foxpro just helps to take the scrutiny off of the hunter and get the animal focused on something else. If you are blowing the call then the predator will be focusing on you and is more likely to bust you. With lots of practice I am sure you will do fine.

I bought a spitfire the other day too. Haven't tried it yet, hopefully try some coyotes this next week

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    With lots of practice I am sure you will do fine.
    Or with lots of luck. I called in a coyote last winter on my first time out with a mouth call that cost me $12. Absolutely you can do it without buying an electronic caller.

Don H, you can definitely call a lot of stuff in with your mouth caller, lots have been doing it for quite a while,

What I really like about the remote caller (beyond having the attention NOT on my hiding place,) is that you know you are not calling in Bears to your stand. Not sure where you are located, but this is very real.

I've done that with a Fawn Bleat, and by my experience, Bears don't come running in like the Predator calling videos show coyotes in Arizona doing, Bears come sneaking in, and it only takes once seeing that to kind of ruin your excitement for calling by mouth to your location.
    I just found myself the other day, doing that with my 9yr old son along, all hunkered down in the brush, then remembering the reality of it all, and "what the Heck am I thinking....??" But that's Kodiak, where a lot of Bears don't even hibernate. Man, seriously scary is no joke. But some still do it with great success.
    Might be something to consider in your stand placement in later spring, etc.

Just to say, be aware where you are calling, what may be getting excited to hear you, that you may want heading to "That bush over there..." vs. sneaking in over your shoulder.

Default looking forward to the spitfire

I've called w/ mouthcalls so long my lips get numb. Then my cheeks get sore. I have used my homebuilt cassette deck w/ corded speaker to some success, but I am looking forward to the wireless Spitfire and simple hand held remote control. This might just be fun.
    Lots of guys have used wooden and plastic mouth calls for a long time with success. They are relatively cheap, and easy to just wail away on. I think this new call will just give me another dimension.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast