Thread: 2011 Unit 26 unguided drop camp Caribou hunt

Default 2011 Unit 26 unguided drop camp Caribou hunt

Ok I am planning a 2011 Unit 26 unguided drop camp Caribou hunt. I have searched the forms and talked to a few people about this and it seems the best people to use are.
    70 north out of Happy Valley 1-800-557-4248
    Deltana Outfitters out of Happy Valley 907-895-5006
    I know there are a lot of other people trying to plan this same hunt. So I thought I would ask the question again. Who is the best and who should we avoid and why.
    Any info, stories, and pictures that go with the recommendation would be great. Thanks ahead of time.
    Larry.

...ain't nobody gonna beat the services and price that Mike McCrary will provide with his gig, 70 North, flying out of Happy Valley.

Contact Mike McCrary at operations@seventynorth@yahoo.com

While all the transportation service providers up there are good or better, I still got war stories, and "cost over-runs" concerns on the others....Pm ya when i have more time...

Regardless of where you go, when flying out of Happy Valley, you should have a hunt somewhere between good and super-great.....it kinda depends on the number of bulls migrating at that time...

dennis

I don't want to hijack the thread but in regards to planning:
    How does it normally work in these situations as far as location is concerned? I assume location is best left up to the transporter.

What do you consider the most cost effective size of a hunting party?

You can also do unit 26 drops out of Bettles. Bettles air and Brooks Range Aviation.
    Might check with them.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the info. Any more tips for people who have never done a drop hunt?

We (Brother, Friend and ME) are headed for Happy Valley next week to fly out for a DIY caribou hunt with Mike McCrary at 70 North. This will be our first caribou hunt into the Brooks Range. We are driving up the Dalton from Fairbanks to meet Mike in Happy Valley airstrip. We are excited to say the least. We picked the early part of September thinking later in the season best...e.g. we are 1st-priority-meat hunters and the weather is colder, and hopefully no bugs/insects to bother us. We are bringing our minus 20 bags and a little more wool just in case we get hit by a cold front. Anybody have experience spot camping 1st half of September? Should we bring insect/bug repellent? Words of wisdom are welcome...