Thread: Ice house questions...

Default Ice house questions...

Ok, this will be my first year with an actual "ice house" and I'm pretty stoked! Question though...how/when do ya'll drill the holes?? Do you measure out where they should be, drill them then push the house over the top or drill 'em from inside?

I was thinking about the piles of shavings from drilling and wondered if they need to be cleared off after the hole is punched? (would be much easier before the house is over the top)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

what kinda house you got??? i normally marked them picked the houseup moved it drilled them slush them out and slide the house back over

i use to basically do the same except i would drill from inside the house leave the shavings there move house clear them out and then move the house back over the holes or if the shack is some what elevated you can drill holes from inside and throw the slush under the shack.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

When I used a wood shanty I used to drill them from inside. Then I would put all the slush in a 5 gallon bucket and dump it outside.
    They do make a sort of basket/bag that you put over your holes. It had a hole for the auger and all the ice chips end up in the bag. you then cart it outside. I can't remember where I saw that though.
    I had a small wood stove inside mine. 1 guy starts drilling the holes while the other lights the fire. Then the fire starter scoops the slush and dumps it out while the other guy grabs rods and bait from the truck after putting the auger away.
    Once you figure out what works for you setup goes pretty quick And you are fishing in short order.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

shovel the snow away where u r going to put ur shack down to the ice but dont throw the snow to far away. pull your hardside into the spot and drill from inside the shack once drilled take ur skimmer and throw the ice chips under the shack no need to move it again. block up the shack at least 3" then bank with snow. cut the bottom off a plastic 5 gallon bucket place over hole and start fishing. we use a highlift jack to help us with the blocking of the shack.. but a handy thing to have out there is a couple 8 foot 2x4s nailed together.use as a pry bar and a lever to get the shack un frozen..

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    what kinda house you got???
    a big 'un!!!!!!!

i think he has a hard side 8x10 maybe we run 8x14

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    i think he has a hard side 8x10 maybe we run 8x14
    Yep, a few pics here - http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ouse-under-way!
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

mud - build yourself a slush bucket if your house will be in one spot all the time.

step 1 - build a square plywood box without a lid (maybe 24"?)
    step 2 - cut a square hole centered in the bottom of the box with enough clearance for your auger to go through without tearing up the box or your ice house floor around the hole.
    step 3 - build little stub walls (6"? 8"?) around the opening from step two

to use - put the box over the hole before you drill - drill - most all of the slush and ice chips will auger up and over the stub walls spilling into the remainder of the box - then you haul the box outside and dump it instead of wasting time cleaning up a bunch of slush!

photo-5.jpg

couple tips - round wouldn't work for me but I thought about using a big round bucket (like the tubs you'd put a bunch of drinks in at a bbq) and also make the box small enough to fit through your door!

I'm not sure why my stub walls are only on 3 sides and why one is shorter - must have been using scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    mud - build yourself a slush bucket if your house will be in one spot all the time.

step 1 - build a square plywood box without a lid (maybe 24"?)
    step 2 - cut a square hole centered in the bottom of the box with enough clearance for your auger to go through without tearing up the box or your ice house floor around the hole.
    step 3 - build little stub walls (6"? 8"?) around the opening from step two

to use - put the box over the hole before you drill - drill - most all of the slush and ice chips will auger up and over the stub walls spilling into the remainder of the box - then you haul the box outside and dump it instead of wasting time cleaning up a bunch of slush!

photo-5.jpg

couple tips - round wouldn't work for me but I thought about using a big round bucket (like the tubs you'd put a bunch of drinks in at a bbq) and also make the box small enough to fit through your door!

I'm not sure why my stub walls are only on 3 sides and why one is shorter - must have been using scraps.
    wow great idea i think a rubber bucket maybe one to feed f
    horses with would work to if u could get it close enough to the wall

thanks - it works great too! (at least for me)

basically what the commercially made units are - look up the slush bucket - it's not round but you can see how it is. I had a plan to make one out of a round bucket (with the rope handles) then cut out a round hole sized for a five gallon bucket - slide the bucket through the hole from the top down untill the larger diameter part of the 5 gallon bucket seats against the bigget bucket - epoxy up and good to go!

honestly though with my setup I don't need the sleeve down the hole - the auger brings most of it up and the rest just freezes solid into it's own sleeve!

Thats what I was thinking of the slush bucket! Thanks.
    http://store.catchcover.com/slush-bucket.html/
    Never tried one but sounds like a good idea. The wood one akjw7 built looks just about as good.
    I do like my flipper dipper for a quicker way to remove the slush from a bunch of holes.Gets almost all of it out in one swipe.
    http://tackletamer.com
    The Ultimate Ice Skimmer
    "Flipper Dipper"

• Cleans Holes Fast
    • It Floats
    • Easily Stored
    • Extra Long Handle
    • Easy To Use
    • TT - 10 - Made For 6" and 7" Holes
    • TT - 11 - 8" Holes and Larger

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Great ideas guys, thanks for the help! I don't plan on leaving the house in any one spot for more than a day or two and I'll be pulling it around with my truck so I can carry some of these gadgets without worrying about space/weight.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Great ideas guys, thanks for the help! I don't plan on leaving the house in any one spot for more than a day or two and I'll be pulling it around with my truck so I can carry some of these gadgets without worrying about space/weight.
    I wouldnt worry about blocking it up if its only gonna be there a day or two and u got the pickem up truck to pull with. Have fun

It was mentioned on the Flat Lake site that a permit is required for an ice house... I'm assuming that since I won't be leaving it more than a day or two I don't need any paperwork. What are the requirements for permits on lakes anyway? Are they required anywhere and where does a guy get one?
    AKmud

The way it was said to me was that if its a portable it dont need one and i would say urs will be just for the fact u move it consistantly and its always attached to ur truck. Most lakes dont require one. The permit states which lake it is suppose to be on and stays with the shack on that lake. Id call fish and game and see what they say we put ours up to lake louise and got the permit for susitna as well. They r free by the way.