Thread: Chessie nutrition

Default Chessie nutrition

Wondering what Chessie owners on here feed and use as far as supplements for their dogs and why.

I used to have a Great Dane and we gave him joint supplements when he got older, but I don't know if that is good for Chessies.

I usually use large-breed puppy food (Pro Plan now) to start, then change pups to adult feed after a bag or two. No supplements & keep pups on the lean, but not skinny side. If they develop problems I'd add a supplement after consulting with the vet, but don't think it's necessary to supplement without a reason to do so.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Karen

Thanks. Will do.

I used the large breed puppy also, then went to hi-pro adult. My vet started Blue on joint supplements at 1. Of, course my guy is a big one, a svelte 75lbs. His dad was over 100. Dr says, large dogs that work hard need every advantage. He by the way is a lab guy.

Suellen

Great advice 3CBRS.
    If you do your part, your dog won't get too much food, which can cause growth spurts, and then hip and joint problems. Keep him lean as he grows, when he is full grown you can adjust the weight a little.

I'm no nutritionist, vet, expert, or anything like that. Search this forum for the term "AAFCO" (Association of Animal Feed Control Officials) & you'll find a lot of information, as well as some lively discussions. AK River Rat's done a lot of research on dog foods over the years. We may not feed the same brand, but I don't think he hates me because of that

AK Explorer - You've probably already thought of this, but make sure to find out what Alex & Stacy are feeding the puppies, as well as their schedule. Having some of the same feed (brand & formula) on hand when you're pup comes home can make the transition easier & lessen the likelihood of a raging case of the s#*ts! Even if you decide to gradually switch to something different, switching feed cold turkey can do a number on even adult dogs. Just think, only a few more weeks & she'll be here!

Karen

Indeed! 3 weeks from today!

3CBRS - yes, I already talked to her about the food. I am going to try to get some on hand and slowly transition.