Thread: .264WM question

Default .264WM question

A friend in Denver was giving an early version of a Win Model 70 chambered in .264WM this afternoon. The barrel is well worn and the stock is weathered. The rifle is

He would like to replace or refinish the stock and re-barrel it. He is looking into a 6.5X47 because of the results of another shooting buddies rifle in the cartridge.

Since the 264WM is derived from the 375H&H parent case and has a rim diameter of .532 would this prevent it from accepting a case with a rim diameter of .472 ???

I don't have any experience with action mods or the steps required to convert one to the other. Any other issues or ideas on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks for the PM's from a couple of gun smiths, questions answered and understood. I'll pass the information on.

Thumbs up 264 Win

The Win 70 in 264 WM was the 264 Westerner.........

The 3 new Win 70 cart. at that time were the Alaskan in 338 WM the African in 458WM and the Westener in 264WM.

The biggest drawback to the 264 was the 24" Barrel.......that Win used.......should have been a 26". That short of barrel but it back to 270 win and 280 Rem cartorgory..........otherwise the 6.5 bullet is outstanding for long range plains game of the west.....with great BC like the 6.5x284.

For med Game a good Win 70 with a new 26" barrel in 264 WM would make a excellent deer to elk rifle......on the heels of the 7mm RM.
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    The Win 70 in 264 WM was the 264 Westerner.........

The 3 new Win 70 cart. at that time were the Alaskan in 338 WM the African in 458WM and the Westener in 264WM.

For med Game a good Win 70 with a new 26" barrel in 264 WM would make a excellent deer to elk rifle......on the heels of the 7mm RM.
    Thanks for the history lesson, good stuff. I've talked my friend into keeping the rifle a 264WM for simplicity. Now it's in my hands for load developement. It has a lot of miles and questionable care but I'm going to see how it shoots before he spends any cash on stock or barrel replacements.

My mom bought one in 1963 that had only a few rounds shot through it. The seller claimed it could not be sighted in and that the gun was junk. At first my dad could not hit paper with the gun using factory ammo, but then noticed that on a few shots there were bullet shaped holes on one edge of the target - bullets were tumbling wildly.

He picked up some dies and started shooting lower powered handloads which resulted in some wonderful low MOA shots. The hand loads never approached the velocity of the first factory rounds. However, they stilll vaporized the innards of mule deer at what ever range my mom could easily see through the weaver K4 scope.

Any time I talk to a gunsmith about my inhereted 264WM the first thing they say is the throat is shot out on all 264WM, so it is only worth a few bucks. This gun has had 10 factory rounds shot through it and less than 40 handloads so the throat is fine.

The barrel on this gun is 26 inches long if I remember correctly. Have to open the safe and check that out.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good plan marshall:

You can do it too. Keep us informed.

I've no personal experience with the 264 WM, but I was around when it was all the rage. My guess, is that unless the chamber is too long, to where fired rounds have little throat left, after firing, the gun should shoot fine, and do fine.

I think the cartridge would have lasted in popularity, except the bullet construction, in those days, wasn't up to 264 WM velocities.

The 264 WM is somewhat unique, and a high performance 6.5 caliber cartridge. It should be interesting, to work with.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

AK Ray:

And marshall:

According to the Sierra Manual, (50th Anniversary Edition)....

"Some special cautions apply when loading the .264 Winchester Magnum. In order to achieve the highest possible velocities at acceptable pressures, Winchester's engineers designed the .264 (and factory loaded ammo for this cartridge) to use a "two-diameter" bullet. In this design the bullet diameter steps down a few thousandths just ahead of the bearing surface, resulting in a bore riding forward shank. this portion of the bullet actually rides on the top of the lands, while the full .264" portion is engraved by the rifling. For best accuracy this requires an extremely short throat. While the combination works, it creates a problem when using 6.5mm bullets of conventional design. The short throat requires deep seating in order to prevent "jamming" the bullet into the rifling.

If the rifle is to be used primarily with handloads, the best solution to this problem is to have the throat lengthened by a gunsmith. This is an inexpensive operation and will versatality when handloading for the .264.""""

The above is why loading manuals often warn about the short throats in the .264 WM. I thought you guys might find it interesting.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If i remember correctly the early .264WM did not have the right twist which did effect the accuracy of this nice flat shooting round. Correct me if im wrong.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    If i remember correctly the early .264WM did not have the right twist which did effect the accuracy of this nice flat shooting round. Correct me if im wrong.
    Goo
    The twist rate for the 264 WM is 1:9. That's slower than some military 6.5s notably the 6.5 Swede (1:7.87), but in line with other .264 caliber cartridges.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Smitty,

I read about the stepped bullet profile, seems a bit involved. I'm going to work with Accubonds for his Colorado hunting opportunities and Bergers for paper punching.

Cor,

This is a 1:9 twist barrel. Another friend had a custom 6.5X47 made recently with a 24" barrel and it's also a 1:9 twist. It's working very well with 123gr, 130gr and 140gr weights so far. The 264WM case has more capacity but the twist will be fine in those weights.

I'll see if I can come up with a bore scope for a throat examination. This is a well worn example of a rifle. If all else fails Schneider rifle barrel manufacturing is just an hour drive from my house, lucky me.

Smitty, thanks for that info on the stepped down bullet design. I don't think that was in my Dads reloading manuals of the era.

Like with his sporterized springfield 30-06 he only used Sierra bullets, and chose the 140gn boat tail for the 264WM. I know he made a test case with a bullet seated to the correct depth so that he could always double check the die settings. We never did talk about how he developed the loads for this gun way back in the day. I am going to ask him about it.

i have owned and shot a .264wm since 1971.
    my best friend of 43 years has a win mod 70 with a factory 26" tube. pre-64...around 1959 vintage.

i have consistently shot sierra 100 gr hp with extreme satisfaction.
    72 gr 4831@ 3728fps. rem 700 new in '71. it is in my safe right now.
    fast and accurate.