Thread: Dog for tracking

Default Dog for tracking

I was wondering one if it is legal in Alaska and two if anyone of you have done it and that is to train a dog for not only retrieving fowl but also help you track big game. Not barking loud and chasing game but stealthily tracking big game just to help you find the an animal. Lastly which breed of dog would be the best for this task.

Pretty clear in the regulations: You can use a dog to track wounded big game only. You can not use the dog to hunt the animal to shoot it, only to recover a wounded animal after hunting it.

If you want to run hounds after black bears you can get a permit for that, but they are only for a specific area of the state.

Dogs for small game are not regulated.

Thanks for the response, I have not read the regs on this yet mainly because I thought it would be quicker just to ask here first. Don't want to "run" hounds on any animal so I wont be needing the permit anytime soon.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

In http://www.alaskadognews.com in the club listings Versatile Gun Dogs of the Greatland had talked about Blood Scenting at one time. You could check with them for something in the future.