Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to fish the Kenai...

Default Wanting to fish the Kenai...

I am wanting to head down to the Kenai next weekend. I will be on foot and am asking what I should use for flies or set ups and where to go. I am not asking for specific locations(unless ya want to help out a rookie fly fisherman) I am asking for places to park or areas to walk an so on. Or if it is even worth it. I am not expecting to catch much. If anything. I just want to get out and have never fished past September. Any, and I mean ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. i hope to reply back with a good story or two. Cheers

Steve

i went out a couple weeks ago and i'm also a beginner. the only pull out that i saw tracks to the river was the pull out right past the russian parkinglot. it has probably covered up with snow by now but that place was good. didn't catch anything but people in floats were catching in that area. from there you can walk south along the river to this sandbar or beach area and try there. but once again i got skunked so i'm not positive if these places are productive. on my way back to anchorage i saw a few guys on the lake side of the bridge in cooper fly fishing, looks like they were in standing water though. wasn't too sure and was behind schedule so just jetted on home. might go on saturday, havn't made my mind up yet.

Just under the bridge is a good place to start. Caught my first bows and silvers there first time winter fishing on the Kenai last winter.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    Just under the bridge is a good place to start. Caught my first bows and silvers there first time winter fishing on the Kenai last winter.

do you still have to pay to park at that launch during the winter?

At the bridge you do have to pay to park and launch your boat. You do not at the ferry crossing. There is a host at the bridge launch year round.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what type flies were you using there? Flesh?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I would also think about the bottom of skilak, you can park and walk to the wash boards, it is a hike but there should be good fishing there, the mouth of the russian and of course the lake in cooper's landing. But pretty much any pull out by the river there has trails you can hike in and find holes, the water is low so you shouldn't have any trouble getting to gravel bars or worry about crossing feeder streams to get to the holes.

What are people throwing this time of year? Eggs? Flesh? Both pale in shade i'd imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by aksteve31 View Post
    What are people throwing this time of year? Eggs? Flesh? Both pale in shade i'd imagine?
    If you ask specifics you'll end up opening a "pandoras box" of, go figure it out yourself, thats part of fishing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aksteve31 View Post
    I've always had success with peach colored beads and pale orange and white flesh flies. Bring a bunch of "rotten" and fertilized colored beads in 8 and 6mm. Try different ones until you hook up.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

beads as previously mentioned, ESL's, Dolly llamas, and smolt patterns normally work very well also moal's will pick up a few when they are not hitting other stuff.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

How about a big gob of cured roe or some fresh spot prawn?

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    If you ask specifics you'll end up opening a "pandoras box" of, go figure it out yourself, thats part of fishing, etc.
    I might have you confused with someone else, BUT weren't YOU asking a LOT of questions a few months back?
    If you're not willing to share what can help someone, why not? If you have nothing to add to the discussion, simply don't take part.
    JMO.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I might have you confused with someone else, BUT weren't YOU asking a LOT of questions a few months back?
    If you're not willing to share what can help someone, why not? If you have nothing to add to the discussion, simply don't take part.
    JMO.
    Gary
    Gary I see where you''re coming from. Bowdy I'm pretty sure was just being sarcastic. He is always willing to offer advice, I think he was trying to head the self-righteous off at the pass is all

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    JMO.
    Gary
    I was offering a fore-warning for the onslaught

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Gary I see where you''re coming from. Bowdy I'm pretty sure was just being sarcastic. He is always willing to offer advice, I think he was trying to head the self-righteous off at the pass is all
    yeah he has helped me out alot

Bowdy has plenty to say just ask him. There are plenty of people on here that are willing to share, and plenty not so much. But pretty much use some thing with a tail on it no matter what it is ESL's, flesh, sculpins and you should get some thing to hit. Beads might work too though I am not great with beads, and don't use them much.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    How about a big gob of cured roe or some fresh spot prawn?
    That should work real well in fly fishing only waters.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    That should work real well in fly fishing only waters.

Sure will!!! That's how the Bio's catch 'em so they can tag them!!

Thanks for all the help people! I very much understand if people don't wish to share advice. That's ok with me. I am VERY new at fly fishing so I am open to any and all advice. I am venturing out early Saturday morning. Starting at the bridge. Looks like I'm bringing a little bit of everything. Again, thanks to everyone. Happy fishing!

Steve

P.S. Anyone else going Saturday?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast