Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Up Close!

Wink Up Close!

You might find this question interesting what is the closest you have shot any big game animal? Mine was my largest Whitetail buck 12 pt. at 8 yards. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I shot my Caribou last year on the haul roud at about 8yrds and my moose this winter on Ft. Rich at 12yrds.

Three-point Sitka blacktail closer than the tip of my fly rod as it waded past me along a stream cutbank. 357 mag 158 grain hollowpoint in the ear turned him into steaks.

Default closest kill 1985

6 point whitetail buck @ 10 feet running left to right heading past me.

Shot it with a .308 with a weaver 4x32mm when he ran up on me in thick woods.

Too close to even see a thing in the scope. It was completely blurry and dark and looked like limbs were gonna hit me in the scope as I swung to track him So I just hoped for the best looking over the scope at the front sight. Followed him like using a shotgun.

Never used anything in the woods bigger than my Leupold 1.5-5x20mm ever since.

jedi.

Default Ol Grouch

Brown bear, 12 feet, coming hard.

Caribou 5 yards with a bow
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

8'2" black bear 1.5 feet, .416, /6'10" blackie, 12 feet/6'8" blackie 18 feet/ mt. goat 10 feet/passed on several brownies at less than 15 feet. everything else i guess i'd have to measure in yards...well no, wounded brownie at 30 feet.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Bull moose at about 6 feet and charging in a spruce thicket. First shot with a 300 WSM (180 grain failsafe bullet) hit him in the neck but didn't put him down. He just spun around and charged. Second shot was right between the eyes.

A 6' Alaska Black Bear at 6' coming head on.........one shot front chest from a 2" snub Smith 357 mag / corbon bullets.

Nothing as glamorous as a giant bear, I was hunting for wild boar in CA a few years ago and I approached one that a friend had shot that gave every appearance it was dead by the fact that a dog was bouncing all over it, pulling on it etc and it was not budging. I approached and when I hit 10 feet or so it jumped to its feet and came right at me and I raised the savage 99 in 308 and luckily put one between its eyes and it dropped between my feet. I keep a pic of that hog on the front of my website, I have seen what they do to dogs so I know what they can do to me if the opportunity is there.

Doug

I took a Elk at 3 yards with my bow when I lived in Oregon .
    That was fun , can you say pass through !!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default dlp

Grouse- 3 feet- wounded and charging. Shot from the hip. Luckily, I'm good.

Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Spike Elk, roughly 3 feet. (distance, not appendages) Neck shot, with a 25.06

just pointed in general direction and squoze trigger. too big of scope to use.
    Nosler 120 grain partitions.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Black Bear 4 rounds from 2 feet to about 2 inches all inside of a three man tent with a 1911 clone, .45ACP.
    Dan

Post Script: Things were very exciting for awhile, especially for my hunting partner!!!!

63" bull moose and 6'4" black bear both about 10yard shots.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Grouse- 3 feet- wounded and charging. Shot from the hip. Luckily, I'm good.

Glad your a good shoot. I dont knwo what of would happen to you if you missed
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking

Hunting deer on admiralty island. I was tracking a deer in fresh heavy snow up near youngs lake . It seemed to lead me around in a large circle. I was up on a little knoll in big fairly open woods, on purpose as the call of nature was strong and I like to be able to see around me as much as possible when I am in compromising positions in brown bear country. I had just assumed the position when the largest sitka black tail of my years of hunting came over the top of the knoll just 8' away and angled closer to me . I looked down the barrel of the 308 savage 99 lever I had with me not using the sights and shot it in the base of the neck dropping it instantly at 6 feet. I had to pull my pants back up to dress it . It didn't even spook when it saw me. The neck was swollen and he was in the rut . To top it off I was staying in the forest cabin up at the lake so I had to pack it uphill in the deep snow back to the cabin. I was only about 25 years old at the time so it didn't hurt to bad.
    goldbelt

whitey buck at 5 paces via 44mag, he was dragging his intestines, a hunter hit him a ways back and I gave hin the canoe head to end it.

I clubbed a blue grouse with a stick if that counts......they don't callem' fool hens for nuthin'

Mountain Goat: 25 feet. Never knew I was there and never knew what hit him. 30-06 between the eyes. Circa 1970, Seward, Ak.

Marshall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast