Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Degree of Kindred

Default Second Degree of Kindred

In another thread I stated that I felt the SDK was the stupidest regulation, even more so that the stupid DLP regulation.

The whole argument that a non-resident needs a guide or second degree kindred person to accompany them in the field is for their safety. (Yes, shallow, but we will allow it of now).

The assumption is that the SDK has skills, experience, maturity to mitigate the (Alleged) Danger to the Non-Resident.

But, what if the assumption is invalid. What if a hunter sends his anti-hunting, anti-firearm daughter to UAA. After she is here for a while, and has never been off campus, is she skilled to accompany her father on a Brown Bear, Dall Sheep, or Mt. Goat hunt....?

You know what they say about "Assumptions".........?

What say YOU.....??????

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I'm little more than a cheechako and went black bear hunting for the first time this fall. I've got a brother-in-law who wants to go brown bear hunting, what could go wrong?

Disclaimer: I won't take my brother in law brown bear hunting for a couple of years. I've got a lot to learn from some friends I hunt with who have the "skills, experience, maturity to mitigate the (Alleged) Danger to the Non-Resident"

The bigger question to me is what is the role of government to protect us from ourselves or how we do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    The bigger question to me is what is the role of government to protect us from ourselves or how we do that?
    We could expand that too include: Smoking, Being Fat, Being an alcoholic, Seat-belts, Speed limits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    We could expand that too include: Smoking, Being Fat, Being an alcoholic, Seat-belts, Speed limits, etc.
    Agreed, but I guess the positive is that they take the pressure off me for being responsible for myself.

Default SDK

Guys, isn't this rule really in place to keep the guides in business?

Quote Originally Posted by Romcho View Post
    Oh boy you had to go there....

Quote Originally Posted by Romcho View Post
    **** nice one!! I don't know you but you are alright in my books. Soon the posse will arrive they will give you grief tell you how wrong you are. Then they will saddle up figuring they let you have it and go onto there next victim.

I agree that the ideology behind this law is flawed at best, but the opportunist in me seeks to make the most out of the situation. To wit: I have offered to several of my friends who live Outside that I would be glad to act as their guide for bear, goat, and sheep hunts for the rest of their lives for free if they just make their sister marry me. As of yet, no takers...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

If out of state hunters could hit the S.E. for brown bear like they can for blacks it would soon be a draw hunt for all.We don't have the game to give free rain to all that want to hunt some of our critters.Any place thats not all ready a draw hunt would soon be so.JMHO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If out of state hunters could hit the S.E. for brown bear like they can for blacks it would soon be a draw hunt for all.We don't have the game to give free rain to all that want to hunt some of our critters.Any place thats not all ready a draw hunt would soon be so.JMHO
    Why would it have to be a draw hunt for ALL as opposed to a draw hunt for non-residents which is what ADFG has done it other areas (e.g. gmu23)?

I have an ex father-in-law I'd love to take out Brown bear hunting. The taking is the easy part, getting him to stay out in the bush, well that is a different story altogether. :>)

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Maine_iac View Post
    I have an ex father-in-law I'd love to take out Brown bear hunting. The taking is the easy part, getting him to stay out in the bush, well that is a different story altogether. :>)
    Getting him to "stay in the bush", shouldn't be too hard - you will be "packing", no?
    Gary

SDK for sheep/goats is strictly a guide employment clause. Nothing more. A better plan in my eye would be to up the NR sheep tag cost to $2000, go to draw only everywhere for nonresident sheep, and make NRs front the tag money for their application to be refunded after a failed draw. Forfeit the NR license cost. Make the guides earn their keep and compete with each other or go find something else to do. None of this is rocket surgery.

SDK for big bears makes a bit more sense, but not much.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    SDK for sheep/goats is strictly a guide employment clause.
    Really? I think you are right on goats, but you don't think a bunch of sub-legal rams would get shot? Course I read a trooper report of a sub-legal ram being killed with a guide this year.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Really? I think you are right on goats, but you don't think a bunch of sub-legal rams would get shot? Course I read a trooper report of a sub-legal ram being killed with a guide this year.

And you don't think "residents" shoot illegal rams? LOL. Um...bunches get shot.
    Same with 50" regulated moose.

Vec is right, this to to create parity in the system or it would be overrun with non-res hunters chasing sheep. The system generates MASSIVE revenue for the state or at least the guides in question.

I hope to use the SDK to get a goat and sheep for myself or my son next Fall.
    Proud to be an American!

I think it makes perfect sense that I can't take my 56yr old uncle who has been an avid hunter for over 40yrs brown bear hunting. But I can take my little sister, whose total bag of game includes about a half dozen mourning doves, taken about ten years ago, which was probably the last time she fired a gun. Yep perfect sense, get your hipboots Sis, sorry Uncle Rob.

What I think as someone who has been a fishing guide is that if you want to babysit someone then good on you. Should the state regulate it....No..Do I see their reasoning......No, but when the hell do they do something that makes sense. This seems like one more rule that people can find a way to stretch. With the "was I a resident" thread I've been paying more attention being a new person here, I think that the alaska fish and game is one of the best I have seen, but I have had some poops with real nice peanuts in it, so I don't know how great that makes them.

Worry not, Kid.....

Your Uncle is your second degree kin, you father or mother, who ever brother he is is related to you as first degree kin.....like your sisters and brothers, you can take yer nephew too, legally....

So your sister is off the hook and your Uncles once inna lifetime Brown Bear/Sheep/Goat Hunt is on

AGL4nowsaid;
    ""The assumption is that the SDK has skills, experience, maturity to mitigate the (Alleged) Danger to the Non-Resident.

But, what if the assumption is invalid. What if a hunter sends his anti-hunting, anti-firearm daughter to UAA. After she is here for a while, and has never been off campus, is she skilled to accompany her father on a Brown Bear, Dall Sheep, or Mt. Goat hunt....?

You know what they say about "Assumptions".........?

What say YOU.....?????? "

If a Hunter has an anti hunting anti-gun daughter, she should never be allowed near a tent or the house proper......he should be so freekin' ashamed as to not even recognize 'er as Kin in any degree.......the *****. Send her one way to some "workers paradise" and forget her name!

As for anyone else, hey its a fee country and you shouldnt have to hire a guide if you wanna hunt Brown Bears with your family.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

As for anyone else, hey its a fee country and you shouldnt have to hire a guide if you wanna hunt Brown Bears with your family.[/QUOTE]

DId you mean that it is a "free" country or a "fee"country? I think that you are right on either one, and sometimes you kill the bear, and sometimes the bear kills you. Maybe search and rescue should make the laws instead of dfw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast