Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your Food list for week long ATV moose hunt..

Default Whats your Food list for week long ATV moose hunt..

Making the menu for a hunt is the thing I hate doing the most. I get pretty lazy with it. Usually we just bring, bread, sandwich meat, whatever I can scrape out of the freezer, Eggs, bacon, fruit cups, pudding cups and assorted spices and condiments, and then rely on my hunting pard to bring about 30 lbs worth of chips, candy, granola bars, fruit bars ect.

I love eating while out hunting, just hate the bringing it, thinking about it part at home.

So what do you guys bring when weight isnt a concern?

One new item i will bring if I remember it next year will be those tortellini noodles.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh we eat good... i take a cooler of meat, a dutch oven or two.. 10-15 lbs of taters... boxes of noodles... rice.. and seasoning..

the kids love my chili mac... 3 boxes mac and cheese, 2 cans chili and a lb of moose burger..

roast and ribs set in the dutch oven on the wood stove about noon-2 pm are done and tender by time we get back from eve hunt.

fresh stews. carrots, onions you name it...

I DON'T DO BREAKFAST... they get instant oat meal.. unless they are cooking . ( NOT!)

always.. have a case of MRE.. for travel food. and some MN house on hand..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Dutch oven eh? Thats a good idea. What kind of stove are you using? I got this stove http://www.huntermfgco.com/pdfs/Miltary_SH_Arctic.pdf My stove should work for doing dutch oven cooking right? I think I even have a dutch oven someone got me for christmas years ago. Im gonna go look for it!

I think Im more excited about the camping part of moose hunting this year than anything. I finally have met the right combination of gear aquired and middle aged laziness to set up a plush camp and just enjoy the scenery

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well our wall tent has a barrle stove in it... i tried the yukon stove... and even wrote a hunt report about it.. read stove of death...

i also a a two burner , bulk propane, lights etc.. but our tent goes up in may and comes down by oct 1.. so we are out there a lot over the summer.

but if you can hold coals and set the oven on it..you can cook on it..

danattherock... is a great dutch oven recipe guy...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Breakfast

I like to take a dozen eggs or so, break them into a nalgene bottle and just use them from there.

I bring the fruit in cups, the plastic ones that require refrigeration.

I take precooked bacon and sausage. I will buy the sausage it the tubes and cut it into patties, them place them into a bag and vacuum seal it. I do the same thing with other ground meats, like moose burgers.

I like pancakes and use the mix that you just add water to. Quick and easy and make a hearty breakfast. Can also use the egg the coat some bread for French toast.

I buy those Jimmy dean skillets, they are quick, great with or out the eggs.

I bring tortillas and make breakfast burritos with the above mixture, sprinkle with some store bought shredded cheddar cheese.

I bring real potatoes and some Crisco to fry them in. Peppers and a few other veggies and some apples. NO BANANAS they are bad luck.

I vacuum seal all kinds of dishes, pasta, stews, chilli, rice, brisket, pulled pork ect.

Bag of egg noodles, add some butter and Parmesan cheese.

You can heat up the meals in the freezer bags in boiling water, easy no pots to clean.

I will make a nice spaghetti sauce and freeze it in vacuum bags. Buy some cheese tortellini. Boil water and cook the past, drop the sauce bag in while it cooking and you have a quick hot meal in one pot with no mess. Serve on paper plates.

I bring plenty of spices to grill the fresh meat off the pelvis as soon after the kill as possible, then plenty for while in the field.

Peanut butter and jelly for sandwiches.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks stid, those are great Ideas. I like how most of your ideas are minimum on the clean up part. Im pretty good about cleaning pots the first couple of days, but after that, well things get "spiced up"

Found my dutch oven! had to ask the wife about it. I caught a little flak cause she gave me that along with a dutch oven cookbook! Good recipies it looks like too! and easy. The christmas present I never knew I wanted!

Always good to have photos.

PWS, got to love fish that was swimming 10 minutes before you cook it, add some shrimp OMG.

One of our favorites there is fresh shrimp pealed and marinated in a zip lock with some fresh crushed garlic, diced onion, olive oil, salt and pepper, add some hot sauce, zest from a lemon and the juice as well. Let it marinate for at least an hour, cook over high heat just until the shrimp turn white, remove from heat before they cook all the way or they will be rubbery. Serve over pasta with some Parmesan cheese.

Surf and turf is hard to beat. Love the boat, I bring it all.

Cooking in the boat on the Yukon, while underway.

Moose camp, omelet with fried potatoes.
    Last edited by stid2677; 12-02-2010 at 00:00.
    Founding Member

One PB&J to get in then backstrap till out
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

STID, I love your table setting. That surf and turf made me so hungry I had to make a toast with Peanut butter and jelly. Of course it was only 6 am

We really spare nothing with atvs! Got the whole gamut! Really is too much, but having good food is awesome! Nothing better than grilled moose ribs over the fire at night! Feel like a caveman eating them!

I'm not going unless I have ample supplies of maple syrup and ketchup

Wow Stid.....I want to go with you!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Grilled porter house steaks and black bear back strap. With an adult beverage, end of the day of course. I love heavy camping!!!!
    I'm with fullbush, it is all about the condiments....

Steve
    Founding Member

What I like to do when weight is not a factor is start cooking a week or two before your hunt and make extra leftovers, vacume pack them in single servings and freeze them. Then when its time for dinner you just bring a large pot to boil and throw the bags in to warm up. Its great there is no mess and you can eat pretty much any great meal you can think of.

Some of my favorites are ham& scalloped potatoes, roast with cabage & carots , lassagna, pizza, pork chops & bake potato. bassicly anything you can fit in a vacume bag!

I always hard boil some eggs before heading out. I eat a couple of them for breakfast and some pilot bread with peanut butter and jam on it along with a couple of cups of coffee that I made the night before getting in the sleeping bag. I also love craisons so I take a big bag of them to camp and eat a handful at any time of the day for that sweet tooth problem.

The Crown is must!

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    The Crown is must!
    Agreed!

We always have several folks in camp so meals are a big deal. I do about half of the cooking. We do a mid morning breakfast at 10ish and dinner around 7pm.

Lots of mooseloafs, salads, bacon/bleu moose burgers, ribeyes for that special night. Usually have a couple taco nights. Batches of potato salad, pork loin roasts, endless list. We usually make lasagna and spaghetti sauce at home and freeze it but for the most part all is made fresh in camp. Don't forget the stuffed heart the day after a kill!

Breakfast is almost always eggs of some sort, blueberry pancakes and some type of potato. Mix it up with bacon, sausage and other mystery meats. I like ptarmigan and eggs. The lucky ones get the hearts.

Lots of candy, peanut butter, cashews, jerky..etc for grab and go. Bottled water, sodas, teas and beer.

As you may have guessed we use motorized access

Cooking and eating is part of the experience. Sets the mood and makes old farts sleep well.

Thanks guys for bringing all that good food up. I have been doing the sandwich stuff and hot dogs for far too long. Guess next year I will have to pony up and start bringing some real food along. Thanks again Steve for showing off your camp cooking skills I have to go find something to eat now!!

We bring the kitchen sink, really we do. Outside the tent are the coolers full of meat

Brings the moose in close, as you can see from the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Wow Stid.....I want to go with you!
    Me too! What a layout!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast