Thread: drilling and tapping

Default drilling and tapping

im trying to figure out the cheapest and best place to go to drill and tap a gun for rings i would like to hear your input.

thanks king

That'll be two different places. One will be the cheapest, the other will be the best.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

GunBugs I was going to suggest he buy the fixture you have for sale. If I was still in the trade I would have jumped on it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sold it on Gunbroker. Pending arrival of funds.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

It was for sure a fair price
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

ok so wheres the cheapest? and wheres the best?

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    That'll be two different places. One will be the cheapest, the other will be the best.

That's funny...

I think you will find none of the pros are cheap on this. There is always the risk of ruining the barrel and consequentally they cover themselves.

If they are afraid of ruining the barrel then they shouldn't be drilling holes. A good jig, a little math and a mill with depth control and you won't have any problems....

I'm sure if on the gunsmithing forum someone would say bring it by

what type of rifle?

If they are afraid of ruining the barrel then they shouldn't be drilling holes. A good jig, a little math and a mill with depth control and you won't have any problems....
    Your right, maybe they shouldn't be. Thus the good verus cheap argument. As far as I have found none of the ones who don't have problems do it for cheap.

What are you guys charging per hole over at Wild West?

Default Drilling for rings

If the rifle is being drilled and tapped for scope rings the depth of the holes shouldn't be an issue. The ones in the rear bridge are going to be drilled through anyway and the holes in the front of the receiver can be quite deep since there is plenty of metal there.

Drilling the holes for a front base for open sights is where things get tricky. The barrel can be pretty thin there and barrels aren't necessarily concentric. Best bet for a front sight on the end of a barrel is to use a ramp with a a barrel band like Ruger and others use.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

$30 a hole, and on some guns, we lose that in taps