Thread: baiting in willow talkeetna and trapper creek area

Default baiting in willow talkeetna and trapper creek area

what are the steps you need to take to set up a bait station?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

king.. first know the regs... in your area...

second, get hold of Forum sponsor Baitem907... http://www.baitem907.com/ who spends a fair amount of time helping folks bait those areas... an excellent source of advice..

third... pick your location , try to get as far off the beaten path as you can... register your stand (next april), and set one up.. there are a lot of threads on how too.. and what to use for bait, barrels etc...

plan on competition in any area you choose... many folks have been baiting for years.. try not to set up on top of another person.. there are several threads on all of that also.. just go through this forum... or do a search you will get more then you can read this winter...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    king.. first know the regs... in your area...

second, get hold of Forum sponsor Baitem907... http://www.baitem907.com/ who spends a fair amount of time helping folks bait those areas... an excellent source of advice..

third... pick your location , try to get as far off the beaten path as you can... register your stand (next april), and set one up.. there are a lot of threads on how too.. and what to use for bait, barrels etc...

plan on competition in any area you choose... many folks have been baiting for years.. try not to set up on top of another person.. there are several threads on all of that also.. just go through this forum... or do a search you will get more then you can read this winter...
    plus one on what vince said.

In the regs there is clear instructions. Its been awhile since I got certified but I remember that none of it is difficult. The hardest part is taking the time to go to a class. But Honestly its kind of fun once you get there if you have the right attitude about it.

Winter time is a great time to scout around. Snowmachines can really get you around in a hurry and there are no bugs. Usually you can discover old bait stations as well to give you an idea of how much competition you have in the area.

King,
    The class is available online at http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...g.requirements
    Sportsman's Warehouse offers a clinic on bear baiting. I highly recommend sitting in on one. Lots of information to absorb. As you state; you will be hunting in 14B, it is required you complete a ADF&G approved baiting clinic.

Start scouting now. Get your sled or snowshoes out and check out the area you'd like to hunt.
    Winter gives great opportunity for checking for cabins and dwellings in the area (must be a mile from ANY dwelling)

Look for densely treed areas (bears like cover to feel safe when they approach the bait).

Check the area for barrel and stand placement with open shooting lanes.

Look for natural springs or edge of swamps to set up near. Look at ridge lines, scent carries through the valley.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to give me a call.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

thank you all for your help i appreciat it

ok i got my bear bait clinic certification and am going to start scouting for good spots on saturday and i learned alot about the dos and donts of baiting so thank you again baitem 907 i appreciate the help

Also a good time to research baits and bait sources. Don't wait until the last minute, other baiters are going to be all over the place scrambling for cooking grease and doughnuts.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Good luck next season, pretty good population of bears in those areas listed. Very informative forum here, gotta love it. And be sure to try out Baitem907 scent products next season, they are great!

Good luck to you it is alot of fun but also alot of work

King,
    Tried to send ya an email but you don't have that feature turned on.

I looked up the area we talked about and it is considered 16a (three bear area). You are more than welcome to swing by and take a sniff of the bait we have in stock. You can also check craigslist for bait barrels.... the guy is located off Fairview Loop
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Good luck next season, pretty good population of bears in those areas listed. Very informative forum here, gotta love it. And be sure to try out Baitem907 scent products next season, they are great!
    Yeah, but be prepared for dealing with brown bears in those areas listed also. That is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Yeah, but be prepared for dealing with brown bears in those areas listed also. That is half the battle.
    I hear ya, fortunately I've been lucky enough to have minimal brownies at my sites in those areas. Only had one brownie that I know of come in last year and that was the last week of baiting season anyways.