Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward/Homer charter help

Default Seward/Homer charter help

I am looking for suggestions on charters for next summer out of Seward and Homer. We have done both before and had mixed results, but usually good. Probably do a salmon run in Seward and halibut in Homer. One thing I am kind of picky about is the care of the fish. On one of the charters we used last time they were really sloppy with their handling and cleaning of the fish (salmon). Tossed them around on board and when it came time to clean them, never wiped the board and threw the fillets on a slime pile. It will be my wife and two kids. Anyone have especially good luck with a specific captian? Thanks very much.

just remember it is not the boat but the """" capitan/deck hands """"" an they do change day to day, but it is a start, [do it your self]

Captain Pete in Homer ( F/V Julia Lynn ), you can't do better, for salmon and halibut.

Also in Homer is Peter Karwowski that has Majic Waters chaters and Spruce Acres B&B so you can fish with him and stay in one of their cabins. These guys work togeather alot and are both great guys and good fishermen.

Also, in Seward, there is Dianne on the Florett C. Maybe questionable personality but she knows how to put fish on the boat.

Forgot the ph #'s Majic waters is 235-0175 or 866-477-3474 and Captain Pete's is 399-6001 or 235-2911

Thanks, guys. By the way, I just realized I shoudl have posted this under saltwater fishing. Duh!

Had a great experience with Cracker Jack out of Seward; Andy worked hard and had his crew working harder. Knowledgeable, no BS guy. Ton of fish brought in, literally, I think we had a ton in the hold.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

For many years we went out with Alaska Summertime Charters out of Seward and always had very good fishing (read that catching), and they always did a great job taking care of our catch. That said, Jon put one of his boats up for sale last August. I just checked and his web site is not active. He may have decided to retire. I know that many of the charter boats were experiencing sifnificantly reduced bookings the last two years.

Having deckhanded a couple summers ago, and booked charters for about 3 summers in Seward (quit this spring) I would endorse Justin Schoening http://justintimecharters.com/. He's a Seward native, great sense of humor, been working the waters for about as long as anyone in ther charter fleet, and has a fast boat. Tell him Tyler sent ya.

Quote Originally Posted by saltwatertom View Post
    Captain Pete in Homer ( F/V Julia Lynn ), you can't do better, for salmon and halibut.

Also in Homer is Peter Karwowski that has Majic Waters chaters and Spruce Acres B&B so you can fish with him and stay in one of their cabins. These guys work togeather alot and are both great guys and good fishermen.
    The Julia Lynn is a great boat and can definitely get you on fish, though I'm not sure I'd totally agree with the "you can't do better" assessment. Take a look at the final standings for the Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby and you'll notice the Julia Lynn isn't there. Peter on the Sorceress (Magic Waters Charters) had a 273 pounder that won for the month of July. I know Peter (his boat is 2 slips down from mine) and he's a great guy AND knows how to get fish. Josh Brooks on the Huntress is also one that had a number of fish on the board. I think he had 4 fish on the board all summer.

Of course some people aren't interested in "trophy" hunting halibut like those guys tend to do for their clients. There are smaller operations that cost less per person and will take you out for a limit of smaller halibut and then spend the rest of the day fishing for whatever salmon might be around.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If you go to Seward in August I would recommend Al Henderson with Ninilchik Charters. Have only fished with him once out of Seward, but MANY time with him out of Deep Creek. My wife and I have ALWAYS been very pleased with him. Next July we requested to be on his boat out of Deep Creek. Told the guy doing the booking for us it was Al or nobody.

so muttley, what are you saying here?
    that the best charters can be found be watching the derby leader board? .... were you on it?
    or that anyone who is not on it must only "fish for smaller halibut"... how about this post of yours from september...

"... I don't go for trophy fish like that because there are way too few of them out there and the more people that fish for them the smaller the stocks become. If anyone is interested in fishing for a sustainable harvest fish give me a call."

what i'll say is that pete and peter are both charter operators of longstanding in homer, and if someone wants to book with them next summer they better get a hold of them early.
    not sure where or for sure if josh will be fishing next year, i heard he got screwed on a deal he made for charter shares, so may be working out of another office.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    what i'll say is that pete and peter are both charter operators of longstanding in homer, and if someone wants to book with them next summer they better get a hold of them early.
    I second that. I've fished with a lot of guys in Homer because Peter K of Magic Waters gets booked fast and I get on board with whoever he recommends. Most of the time the recommendations have been good but my first preference is with Peter K.

Good luck.

not sure where or for sure if josh will be fishing next year, i heard he got screwed on a deal he made for charter shares, so may be working out of another office.
    That sucks. I only got to fish with him once, just last year (he came highly reccomended by the captain I usually fish with), and we got mostly 15-30 lbers. with one at about 60. Plenty of good eats, but what I was impressed with is how much the guy loves to fish and be on the water. To me, someone like that, who so obviously shares the fun of the whole adventure with you, is someone I want to fish with more.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Yep, Josh is cod jigging right now, and doing whatever salmon charters he can get.

Being on the leader board is not a prerequisite to being one of the top charter operators. There are many factors that go into it, I don't go on charters because I have my own boat, but I have been on a few. My idea of one of the top charters has to meet all the following criteria. First and foremost he/she must have a likable personality. Second, he/she must work for the customer, if you have clients that want to go to the outer limits to try for some big fish, then you have to go, weather depending of course, or if they want non stop action catching smaller fish, don't motor out to the barrens. Third, he/she must be able to consistently catch a good average, and I am not talking about a 20-25lb avg, most private angles can do that, I mean a 40-50lb avg. Fourth, he/she must have a nice boat, not some small tin can, remember, we are talking about the top charters, not just good ones, and top charters can go anywhere they want to get to the fish. Fifth, he/she must have good gear, rods, reels, etc. Sixth, he/she must take care of the clients at the dock, both before and after the trip. A top operator should never be late unless there were some circumstance that made it impossible to make it there. I never went on a charter where the captain was late, but if that ever did happen, I would be irate. Top charter operators treat the customers just as they are, bad charter operators treat the customers as though they are doing them a favor.

so muttley, what are you saying here?
    that the best charters can be found be watching the derby leader board? ....
    No, Dave. You need to learn to read and stop being contentious like you usually are. I said that saying "you can't do better" than the Julia Lynn is not a statement I'd necessarily agree with. There are charters operators that will get you fish just as well as Pete on the Julia Lynn will and maybe some on certain days that might get you better fish. That's the nature of the business.

Funny how you have all my old posts memorized. Get a life Dave. BTW, that statement has NOTHING to do with what I said. Duh. Your whole statement is nonsensical and sounds like someone just saying something for the sake of saying something and wanting to be contentious.

Like I said, Pete and Peter are both very good captains and I wouldn't hesitate to go out on either of their boats. But neither of them are "the best and there isn't anyone better."

I enjoy taking people out that AREN'T interested in harvesting BIG halibut that will put people on the leader board in the derby. If I had my way they would change the derby to one where people fish for a target weight, or for tagged fish, that would allow the unsustainable fish that get targeted by thousands of people every year to remain in the gene pool and reproduce. I just might not be able to fish for halibut next year, just like Josh, because the halibut stocks are being depleted and they are having to introduce stop gap measures to try and save a natural resource like halibut that we ALL should be worried about not being around years from now.

And you are correct, Hoose, that the leader board is not a "prerequisite for being one of the top charter operators" and that's not what I was saying. What I was saying is that it certainly is a good indicator of who knows where there are big halibut to be caught and who knows how to go about catching them. But, no, that doesn't necessarily mean you are one of the "top" charter operators out there.
    I strive to do everything you mention in your post, so does that mean I'm one of the "top" charter operators out there? I sure would like to think so, but I'll leave that to the people I take out.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Funny how you have all my old posts memorized.
    they aren't memorized, dude, they're searchable.

perhaps what saltwatertom should have said was "you could do worse".

Default Easy to research a good Charter!

Back when all the old timers and grand old timers started fishing there was no internet, no cell phones, texting, droids and BlackBerries etc. Now all you have to do is find the guys with 20 to 30 year track records and book with them. Any one's who sucks don't last and always weed themselves out, It's self policing. If the captain or captains you find are booked get the name of one of their cohorts. It's easy!!! If a guy is available in the middle of July he either sucks or he's "Nick-o-lie the new guy" and has a lot to learn. The exception here are the big party boats that are all good at what they do "Catch lots of average fish" but not very personable because they need to try to get limits from 10 to 30 people. I have been charter fishing here every summer since 1993 as a guide and captain and I still feel like I'm "Nick the new guy" because I still hang out with the guys who took me under their wing! (The super Salty Son's of a B's!) Captains Pete and Pete are a couple of 'em. If they are booked try whom ever they recommend... Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by akfishpig View Post
    Back when all the old timers and grand old timers started fishing there was no internet, no cell phones, texting, droids and BlackBerries etc. Now all you have to do is find the guys with 20 to 30 year track records and book with them. Any one's who sucks don't last and always weed themselves out, It's self policing. If the captain or captains you find are booked get the name of one of their cohorts. It's easy!!! If a guy is available in the middle of July he either sucks or he's "Nick-o-lie the new guy" and has a lot to learn. The exception here are the big party boats that are all good at what they do "Catch lots of average fish" but not very personable because they need to try to get limits from 10 to 30 people. I have been charter fishing here every summer since 1993 as a guide and captain and I still feel like I'm "Nick the new guy" because I still hang out with the guys who took me under their wing! (The super Salty Son's of a B's!) Captains Pete and Pete are a couple of 'em. If they are booked try whom ever they recommend... Good luck
    +1 for that.
    some of the one's who would have been weeded out by economics caught wind of the chance at a transferable "charter share" and stuck it out for the gamble.
    if it weren't for the IPHC and the feds i bet that there wouldn't be so many charters by now anyway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast