Thread: Sako AV bolt locked up

Default Sako AV bolt locked up

A friend has a Sako AV, 375 H&H, whose bolt is locked up. He was shooting at the range, took a shot, and that was all she wrote. NO, it wasn't hand loaded ammo -- it was factory stuff.

The bolt will lift just a bit -- maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch but won't begin to disengage the locking lugs.

Any help?

Murphy?

Thank you.
    In God We Trust.

Rubber mallet on the bolt handle till it opens.
    Not sure if this is possible with a Sako, but if it is, would loosen the action screws to make sure they do not come in contact with the bolt and helping to cause the bind.

He should reload Then at least he knows for sure he is creating good ammo for his rifle instead of that factory crap.
    Tennessee

hi,
    i am new to the forum,but i have to reply to this one.
    don't take the hammer to it.
    sakos have a little metal cli p that holds the bolt guide in place .
    when this little piece breaks, the bolt guide just floats around the bolt and alows the bolt
    to move about 1/8 of an inch,but won't alow the locking lugs to clear the recess.
    it require the barrel to be removed.
    at least that is the way things went for me
    bob mac

Just did one of these about two weeks ago. The bolt guide has over run the retaining spring. Catch a punch in the hole of the bolt guide rail on the right side of the bolt and drive it to the rear. It'll move back around half an inch. Then you can open the bolt normally. At that point take it to a smith and have him replace the retaining spring under the guide. Back in the early 90's I would see one of these every month. Stoeger, the importer at the time, sent me a bag of new, slightly heavier retaining springs. I've still got probably 100 of them. The ones I've replaced have never come back. Don't unscrew the barrel, it isn't necessary. If you have more questions, Pm or call me at 687-8500. I'm in FBKS.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Wowsa, learned something new today. Thanks for the great advice. Guess you can tell I do not own a Sako
    Tennessee

You guys got it with the bolt guide, used to be common to pin them to the new retaining clip as well, to keep it from happening again. I heard, second hand, that some years ago a guide on the peninsula got chewed up in the alders after his broke. Anyway, easy fix just hold off on the hammer.

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the quick responses. Gunbugs -- I'll be in touch. I have several of these rigs myself and certainly wouldn't mind fixing the problem before it occurs if you can spare a few of those springs. Can I just send you the bolts, or is this something a fairly competent weekend tinkerer could manage?
    In God We Trust.

Just give me a call in the afternoon, after 1:00 or so, and we can arrange it however you would like. I've only seen this failure on 375's and 338's, so if you have smaller cals there is probably no worries with them.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

My friend's gun is a 375, and mine are 270 WCF, 300 WM (it was a 338 WM at one time), and 375 H&H.

I'll actually be in Fairbanks in a couple weeks. I sent you a PM.

Thank you.
    In God We Trust.

Well I dint stop by much here anymore but glad I did.
    You guys have gunbugs, he's the best for a fix.
    It's my belief that thus problem was on the L61 action and the earlier (1980 to 1985) AV actions. At some point there was a change in things. SAKO's have just sort of evolved in such a way to fix these sort of things.
    This problem is worse with heavier recoiling calibers and is worse after that guide rail has been removed and not put back on correctly. (driven all the way to the rear)
    I would like to get a few of those stronger spring clips there bugs if I could. I have an old AIV 375 and I might shoot a leopard with it next year.

As a side note. I have personally owned 338 SAKO brand rifles and shot at least 300 of those and never seen this problem in my guns. I I have seen it and fixed in on a dozen or so others.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,

Thanks for stopping by and adding your $.02 worth. I didn't know about 'gunbugs' until I submitted this post, but figured you might have an answer. Anyway, the problem is in the process of being solved.

Thanks everyone.
    In God We Trust.