Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

Folks,
    Posted in the camp section and got 00.0 replies.
    I am looking for a nice place to go on a hike in Alaska. My buddy and I are both very woods savy and spend countless hours a year in the back country (including Alaska bush). I just am looking for a Hike/hunt where we could concentrate on covering country first, then seeing game as topping on the cake. He is an artist and I want to fill his mind with images he can transmit to canvas.
    Anybody got a location they might suggest?

Hike off the Dalton Hiway just north of atigun pass. Bou hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Some ridge in the Brooks range just north of here....North of the Kotzebue Area....

AWSOME vistas, Caribou are up ,outta the bugs in summer, lotsa landing places....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Wrangell's

Brook's Range

Cordova

Kotz

I have yet to go any place in Alaska that was not beautiful. Pick a spot and get out there.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well the last line on Stid's post there is pretty "Spot On"

In my opinion, Southeast is the most incredible area in the state, but it can be tough for "Covering ground" as you mentioned in your OP

Up North is probably going to be the country you can do that best, I mean the Brooks Range, etc. by up north

For vistas, with lots of Game, get above the treeline somehow, either by climbing high off the coast, or going north, up beyond the Black Spruce forests,

There really is stunning stuff everywhere, Not Many get out to the Aleutian Islands, man that is Most Incredible, to put it mildly
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Nikster,
    Pick a spot and go- I've enjoyed everywhere in the state so far.

Personally I like the Black Rapids area and the Granite Mts. The Granite Tors and White Mts are good too- White Mt. area has a well developed trail system and cabins.

Get above the treeline to make some milage.

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Folks,
    Posted in the camp section and got 00.0 replies.
    I am looking for a nice place to go on a hike in Alaska. My buddy and I are both very woods savy and spend countless hours a year in the back country (including Alaska bush). I just am looking for a Hike/hunt where we could concentrate on covering country first, then seeing game as topping on the cake. He is an artist and I want to fill his mind with images he can transmit to canvas.
    Anybody got a location they might suggest?
    Depending on your budget, the Kenai peninsula has a good road system to lots of trails and relatively cheap access. If your willing to get out of the car and hike a few hours (which it sounds like you are!) there is some VERY impressive country just a couple hours from Anchorage.

Brooks Range has the most votes so far, including PM's. I have not been there yet but would enjoy seeing new country. I suppose a float is also not out of the question......... Thanks for the replies. The pics looked really nice, they just did nothing to clear up the decision making process. Maybe we should take a month and see them all for a week!

Well, you can't go wrong with the Denali Highway, either out of Cantwell or Paxson. Although during the winter you will have to do it by some kind of snowmachine. Unless you have a plane on skiis.

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Brooks Range has the most votes so far, including PM's. I have not been there yet but would enjoy seeing new country. I suppose a float is also not out of the question......... Thanks for the replies. The pics looked really nice, they just did nothing to clear up the decision making process. Maybe we should take a month and see them all for a week!
    Not sure if you've seen it before, but here you go <Hhttp://bucktrack.com/>. Buck "hiked" across the Brooks over 1000 miles.
    Gary

Trail to Symphony Lake is pretty amazing. Close to Anchorage, cheap, easy hiking, amazing scenery, fishing.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/maps/sou...alleytrail.pdf

Definitely not an ideal place for hunting. There's a lot of restrictions but it is FULL of wildlife for your artist friend.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I agree with stid2677 I have only lived here not even a full year and have tried to see all I can from the road system the dalton is very nice but its a long drive it is worth every mileI have driven down the denali hwy in the summer and the views from the road alone are awsome and if you go down the road to Mcarthy to the base camp to the root glacier I went in aug and that sold my wife on wanting to stay in Alaksa on the glennallen hwy the view is great all in all you shouldnt have any problem werever you go alaska is mostly back country and if a newbie like myself limited with an infant in a car seat can find beautifull country you should have no problem here are 2 of mine148327_169270503101315_100000550990023_476063_4433007_n.jpg75710_169270466434652_100000550990023_476061_722871_n.jpg

How about Wrangell and up the Stickeen
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you