Thread: Kenai Peninsula Crowds -- AK Newbie stuff....

Default Kenai Peninsula Crowds -- AK Newbie stuff....

I have read in several places (books mostly) that the roadside crowds thin out quite a lot in September on the KP. I was there late July of last year and things were pretty crazy. Still had a lot of fun. I am planning to try to get back in September for Silvers and was wondering if the roadside fisheries see much less pressure in the fall. Particularly the Kenai River and the Russian. I saw a few posts that indicated the Russian is nice in the fall.

I also have looked into the silvers on Kodiak in September. Any comments on the pressure there?

I actually enjoy fishing with other folks but red season was nuts.

Thanks and great forum here. Has helped me a lot.

There are definitely fewer people on the rivers in September. There's still a lot of people fishing but nothing near what you see in June-August. Fishing can be great for trout and silvers. Beads are the key. The Russian has a good number of trout fisherman on it, but the silver fishing is much better on the kenai.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Once the crowds are gone it is a lot nicer to fish plus there are plenty of reds still to catch in Sept..

There certainly are less folks out on the river during September, but they're not fishing for reds. Red/Sockeye season will be closed and only a few gnarly stragglers will still be present, however, September is the peak of both the Trout and Coho fishery on the Kenai.

www.akfishology.com
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thanks Guys

I have a year or more to plan for the next trip and I think the Kenai in September sounds like a good bet. I am still looking into Kodiak as well.

Mark, thanks for the link. It too is helpful. I will get in touch when I get closer to a real plan.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum.

Bill

Bill, it'd be a great idea to have a backup or alternate plan in case the silvers are late/early. None of the fish are obligated to be there depending on our travel dates. If you've got enough time, an additional leg of your trip to Kodiak might be great. Also in September the saltwater fishing is still "on" pretty well.
    I mention the above because my dad loves silvers on the river and has planned more than one trip based on when he thought the silvers would be around only to be disappointed and didn't plan enough ahead to pursue other angling experiences.
    Good luck with your trip!

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I've fished the Buskin on Kodiak in September and it was crowded, although it was a real blue bird day.

If you want to avoid crowds down by the Russian River, one way to do that is to go at night. Not sure what the schedule is now, but we used to take the last ferry across at night and stay 'til morning. Much less fishing pressure, but you're stuck until the ferry starts running again the next day.

Another possibility is Resurrection Bay near Fourth of July Creek and Spring Creek. If you go during the week and are willing to walk a 1/4 mile or so down the beach you can get away from the crowds. In fact, some days there won't be crowds. On nasty days there won't be anyone.

Thanks Jim

Looking into saltwater for sure regardless of where we go. I hear Kodiak saltwater is real good into Oct. My backup will be rainbows, dollies, lakers, etc.... I can catch whatever (or try to) and be happy in AK. Silvers are great but I like catching most anything...even pinks are a blast.

Thanks Neverland.....finally some cold weather down here.

Thanks for the tip on the Russian. I forget that darkness is not much of an issue up there in the summer. Would love to fish it.
    I hear mixed reports on Kodiak.....less people......big crowds. Maybe Ill go in July and fish saltwater for kings, silvers, and halibut. Get freezer meat that way. Then chase trout, dollies, pinks, etc... for fun in the rivers. Ive got some time yet to decide.

I fished Resurrection Bay late last july in the rain. Caught some pinks. Can you walk down the beach past that big blue barn to get to the creek mouth???? Some of that is posted in there...

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Wlakel View Post
    I fished Resurrection Bay late last july in the rain. Caught some pinks. Can you walk down the beach past that big blue barn to get to the creek mouth???? Some of that is posted in there...
    I think youre talking about Storm Chasers. Some of the beach around there is really bad mud and I'm not sure about access around the creek. Try the other side of the bay (east side) near the big white building. Basically drive around the end of the bay until you are headed south. You'll come to a point where there is a large marine industrial area. There is a small park/recreational area there run by the City (Seward). I think it's called Spring Creek Park or something like that. From there you can park and walk down the beach quite a ways. You'll catch pinks in July and August and silvers from mid August into September. Don't fish the ponds. On the other side of the marine industrial area is Fourth of July Creek. That is a very good spot for silvers once they get in close. If you have any questions on specifics send me a PM.

Sorry I wanted to say August in my post..

Spent the last 2 Septembers fishing silvers in Kodiak and did a salt trip this year. I went during 9/11-9/17 basically on both trips and would actually not plan to go before the 16th if I was to go back. Rivers don't open up past the bridges until then and understand the crowds start to thin by the 3rd week. In speaking with a local I have befriended, fishing is good until the 2nd week of Oct for fresh fish coming in.
    As someone mentioned, the Buskin is typically always crowded but it is in town. Head out to the Olds, American or Pasagshak. The Pasagshak is all lining but the fish are big. Managed a #15.5 & #16.8 this year and nothing under #10.
    The salt treated me well but the weather this year was dry with hardly any rain in Sept. The year before was a different story with rain and winds, it is always a crap shoot getting in. In 09 the flights the day before I got in & the day before I left where cancelled, get trip insurance and leave yourself to be flexible with you travel dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Spent the last 2 Septembers fishing silvers in Kodiak and did a salt trip this year. I went during 9/11-9/17 basically on both trips and would actually not plan to go before the 16th if I was to go back. Rivers don't open up past the bridges until then and understand the crowds start to thin by the 3rd week. In speaking with a local I have befriended, fishing is good until the 2nd week of Oct for fresh fish coming in.
    As someone mentioned, the Buskin is typically always crowded but it is in town. Head out to the Olds, American or Pasagshak. The Pasagshak is all lining but the fish are big. Managed a #15.5 & #16.8 this year and nothing under #10.
    The salt treated me well but the weather this year was dry with hardly any rain in Sept. The year before was a different story with rain and winds, it is always a crap shoot getting in. In 09 the flights the day before I got in & the day before I left where cancelled, get trip insurance and leave yourself to be flexible with you travel dates.
    Thanks Col.

That helps with the timing. I hear that later in September may be best if the weather holds. I thought about taking the boat over from Homer but thats two more days shot. I will do the trip insurance and have a plan b set up as best I can. I hope I can still find a halibut charter that late in the fall.

I used Runnamuck when I went, which was about the 9/15. I was a single so just tried to fit in a date that the captain had space. Also look at Chazman, he was another pick just could not work in a spot.
    Weather will be your biggest challenge. 2010 were blue bird day with temps in the 60's, while 09 rained everyday and was much cooler & windy. If you don't own a pair of yellow polarized sunglasses get some. Really helped me at low light conditions when flossing on the Shak

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    I used Runnamuck when I went, which was about the 9/15. I was a single so just tried to fit in a date that the captain had space. Also look at Chazman, he was another pick just could not work in a spot.
    Weather will be your biggest challenge. 2010 were blue bird day with temps in the 60's, while 09 rained everyday and was much cooler & windy. If you don't own a pair of yellow polarized sunglasses get some. Really helped me at low light conditions when flossing on the Shak
    Thanks, Will do. You flossin on the Shak with streamers???

Basically a 1/0 or 2/0 with some yard and a sockeye fly trailer about 2ft down. Some guys go for just a 2/0 with a bed about 3 inches up. Like sockeye fishing, weight is about 2.5 - 3 ft up. I prefer a fly rod over standard pole.
    Streamers on Salonie, Olds & American. Never made the trip out to Roslyn area but here it not crowds but just not as many fish