Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sportsmans Warehouse in Soldotna

Talking Sportsmans Warehouse in Soldotna

I was in Anchorage a couple weeks ago and the clerk at the bow counter was helping me look at a new one (that I really don't need) and I told him it was too bad we have to drive from the Kenai Peninsula to Anchorage to find a sporting goods store that carries all that we are looking for in one place. He told me that Sportsmans was thinking of opening a store in Soldotna. I thought to myself "yeah, sure". So, wonder of wonders, I was pleasantly surprised to see in the Penisula Clarion today that it's true. Store to be leased next to Carrs/Safeway in Soldotna. Now I don't have to drive so far to spend my wife's hard earned dollars.

Think they will make it profitable and stay for a while?

M

I am not sure if it will be able to stay open for too long or not, people are pretty loyal to the local shops, but SW does have quite a few things the local shops don't have. I am glad they are coming down, I don't think they will be putting anyone out of business and the extra variety will be nice to have close to home

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    I was in Anchorage a couple weeks ago and the clerk at the bow counter was helping me look at a new one (that I really don't need) and I told him it was too bad we have to drive from the Kenai Peninsula to Anchorage to find a sporting goods store that carries all that we are looking for in one place. He told me that Sportsmans was thinking of opening a store in Soldotna. I thought to myself "yeah, sure". So, wonder of wonders, I was pleasantly surprised to see in the Penisula Clarion today that it's true. Store to be leased next to Carrs/Safeway in Soldotna. Now I don't have to drive so far to spend my wife's hard earned dollars.

Think they will make it profitable and stay for a while?

M
    Have the little lady, take on a second job at the new store. That way you will get the employee discount and ensure their continued success in staying "profitable".

Does any forum member intend to go to work for them? Seems like it would be a real good way to remain informed of what is going on in the Outdoor Arena.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

....or better yet...
    guys, get that second job at SW earning your $8.00/hr. Ensure their profitability by re-investing that income back into their sales products and you can stretch those dollars by using your own employee discount!
    ...or as akres suggested, the little lady can take the second job at the new store, so the guys can stay home and experience more quality time alone with the kids .....
    Sportmans Warehouse...making life better and better, for both sportmans customers and employees.................

I had heard that a few weeks ago but from a friend of a friend of a friend so im glad to see it confirmed.

I suspect it will do just fine, where can you find decent outdoor gear on the peninsula? The tackle shops that exist are either too rude, too expensive, too busy or sell out! I think there is plenty of buisness for everyone in the summer and winter gear is nearly impossible to get down here. Three bears already beats everyones prices on guns and decent prices and selction on Ammo so I have been giving them ALL my gun buisness (which has been more than normal lately! ).

I suspect it will be alot like wal-mart, took some pressure off FredMeyer this summer but didn't put ANYONE out of buisness. I for one can't stand most of the local buisnesses since they charge a premium AND are RUDE AND often un-helpful. There are of course exceptions, like I said Three Bears has made a repeat customer out of me, bought a .22 and a .17 there in the last couple months, both guns I hadn't planned on buying but they were so helpfull and easy to deal with I couldn't help it! Ok getting down from the soap box...

The local shops ought to do alright. Trustworthy's prices actually match or are a little lower on most of the peninsula specific fishing supplies in comparison. It will be very nice having some variety. I hear it will be considerably smaller then the other 3. Gottschalks isn't that big of a store, but we ought to get anything down from Anchorage pretty easily. Wilderness Way could take a hit, especially being rock throwing distance away.

I emailed the Corporate Headquarters with a list of what I thought they needed to stock up on.
    Dipnets
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Competition is ALWAYS good. It makes business better at what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Competition is ALWAYS good. It makes business better at what they do.
    Swing by the shop and tell the manager at Outdoors and More in the valley...... oh yeah.... never mind...

Lu John
    then dont go there. shop elsewhere. The store that provides the best value wins. Thats the way it works. the weaker go out of business. Just like the weakest animal in the herd winds up wolf food. Its when there is no competition that stores do what they please and charge what they please that sucks.

Lu John
    then dont go there. shop elsewhere. The store that provides the best value wins. Thats the way it works. the weaker go out of business. Just like the weakest animal in the herd winds up wolf food. Its when there is no competition that stores do what they please and charge what they please that sucks.
    Just pointing out that not "everybody" wins.... That's all. One could argue that with retail competition the customer always wins but to state that "everybody" does is fallacious logic.

You are more than welcome to take the one we have in Fairbanks. IMO High prices, poor customer service. True they started out @ low prices than they sold out to a Canadian outfit. Went down hill after that.
    I will stick to mom and pop local businesses. I Outright refuse to step foot into SW. That is just me. If i can't find it locally i will go either through LL Bean or Cabelas's.

Lu John
    I think what LuJon was getting at is Outdoors and More is out of business. Competition from a box store is good for the customer but not always good for a local business and their employees (or as LuJon points out "the manager").

Yeah I first heard about it 3 weeks ago at Travis's (impact area) when buying some ammo. But I saw it in the Clarion too. Good or bad is irrelevant theres simply no stopping change.

heck i still miss Penn's Hardware, Gladys's Restaurant, and Vera's Variety in Soldotna...Old man Penn (1960's) had some sort of sleeping disorder you would be talking to him and he would drift right off standing up...I would just wait until he woke back up again and continue talking.

It seems Canadian outfits are buying things at a fair pace these days, a long time Alaskan business was purchased buy a Canadian interest not too long ago. Been in a Brown Jug Liquor recently ? Take a good look and you will notice "Canadian" values, if you know what I mean.

The SportsmansWarehouses in Alaska are not owned by the Canadian company.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    This is along the same lines of what I heard. Some stores were sold off during the restructuring but the AK stores were not amongst them.

Originally Posted by woundedknee

This is along the same lines of what I heard. Some stores were sold off during the restructuring but the AK stores were not amongst them.
    Happy to hear that !

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    It seems Canadian outfits are buying things at a fair pace these days, a long time Alaskan business was purchased buy a Canadian interest not too long ago. Been in a Brown Jug Liquor recently ? Take a good look and you will notice "Canadian" values, if you know what I mean.
    Who cares they employ Alaskans. Thats good enough for me. I love Sportsmans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast